Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a random thread, but I just started reading The Lord of the Rings, and the description given with regards to the ways of Hobbits seems very Fe-Si to me. It's pretty apparent in the films as well.

Do you fellas think you'd get along well with a Hobbit-esque culture? Interested to hear your responses.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
A bit of a random thread, but I just started reading The Lord of the Rings, and the description given with regards to the ways of Hobbits seems very Fe-Si to me. It's pretty apparent in the films as well.

Do you fellas think you'd get along well with a Hobbit-esque culture? Interested to hear your responses.
I have always daydreamed about being a hobbit!
Living in a comfy little hobbit hole, eating seven (?) meals a day and no one's going to judge me for being a wee bit portly, no one's rocking the boat (except those silly Tookish types), lots of little gatherings and parties and chatting-with-the-neighbors, sometimes wizards stop by and make fireworks, but you still have your little safe protected world. What more do you really need?
That said, if I was told I could be an elf or a hobbit, I might choose elf...
I agree that hobbit culture is very Fe-Si. I guess I imagine hobbits as ISFJs more but I can see ESFJ hobbits as well.
I love "The Hobbit" but I did not like the movie. A lot of the charm in the book is how Bilbo is really just a little hobbit going on a big adventure -- but not the-biggest-adventure-of-all-time. For a hobbit it was a big deal. That got missed in the movies as they were trying to do one better than LOTR and that was too bad. :((

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh hell yes, I'd love to be a hobbit. Relaxing, domestic life, lots of food, friends and comfort, tidy and cozy hobbitholes, and absolutely no adventures (unless I want them), I would love that life.

Reactions: Dangerose

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just saw the last Hobbit flick last night and thought about Bilbo's part in the whole group and which one I would be (oddly enough - thankfully you have this random thread!)

As much as I admire the Elves for their noble ways and sleek look, their precise archery and whatnot, I know that class would NOT be for me. I view those as INTx types for some reason.

I thought maybe I could fit in with the Dwarves (not because of my love for Kili or anything), but how they are loyal and always stick to their brother in arms and friends.. but they are too much of a fighter than I care to be..

So naturally that leaves me to want to live the lovely Hobbit lifestyle. 2nd breakfasts, lots of friends to interact with, a nice nook of a home to curl up and read.. Yep, I can definitely see myself as a hobbit!

Btw- I love how random this thread was!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have always daydreamed about being a hobbit!
I agree that hobbit culture is very Fe-Si. I guess I imagine hobbits as ISFJs more but I can see ESFJ hobbits as well.
Looks like it could depend on the hobbit:

Provider (ESFJ) — Bilbo
Keirsey calls providers “the most sociable of all Guardians” and says they are “friendly, outgoing, [and] neighborly” to the point that they become “restless when isolated from people.” He also adds that they are careful to remember birthdays. Starting to sound like a hobbit?

An ESFJ’s primary function is Extroverted Feeling (Fe). This makes them quick to express their opinions and judgements, though they like to do this in a way that maintains peaceful social functions. Note how Bilbo responds to the arrival of all the dwarves — he is not shy about letting them know what he thinks about their unexpected arrival, yet he still plays the perfect host. Like other types with Si as an auxiliary function, ESFJs can become set in their ways and comfortable with routine (which is what makes him appear introverted when he is upset about being disturbed by company).

Protector (ISFJ) — Sam
Not many fictional characters are as easy to type as Samwise Gamge. He is the perfect ISFJ. Like the ISTJ, an ISFJ’s primary function is Si and they tend to resist change and be comfortable with traditional ways of doing things. They tend to settle down and be comfortable with routine (Sam never considered leaving The Shire until Frodo went on his quest). With Fe as an auxiliary function, ISFJs are very people-oriented and attuned to the needs of others, especially their close friends. They have a strong sense of responsibility and loyalty, and readily serve others — “Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can’t carry it for you… but I can carry you!”

source: Lord of the Rings MBTI | Marissa

also Bilbo Baggins [ESFJ] | Literary, Historical & Fictional MTBI:

I've always related somewhat to Eowyn but this might be just wishful thinking on my part.
Personally living in the shire would make me claustrophobic but I might have trouble leaving the safety of my home towards new adventures too, so I think Bilbo is a good compromise between both (what with the help of Gandalf pushing him to leave.)

·
Read Only
167 Posts
Despite being very high on the E side of ESFJ I am more and more hobbit like with each passing year. I certainly enjoy the comforts of my home and having friends visit and stay over. Introspection and domestic comfort are top priorities lately.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
If I could choose, I would want to be an elf and live in Rivendell. But altogether, I'm more of a hobbit. I enjoy the comforts of home and while I dream of adventures, I usually prefer coming back to my own hobbit-hole at night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think I'd be a very tookish hobbit. I like adventures with my friends...or making friends on my adventures. Other than my love for traveling I feel like I'd be a hobbit...I'm under 5 feet tall so I just need to shrink a little more to be at the proper height :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.