Personality Cafe banner

How Many Hours Do You Sleep On Average?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that we need a lot of sleep. I feel my best when I get 9.5-10.5 hours. I act like life's buttercups and cupcakes all day long. Any more or less and I get groggy. Any large shortage and I get deranged...

How about you? Have any good dreams lately? :happy:
It's funny that you say that because doctors agree that the typical adults should aim for 7 to 8 hours a night... But sometimes I'll fall asleep, wake up, look at the time, and calculate how many hours I've slept... I usually feel pretty damn good after getting more than 9 hours a night.

So who knows. Maybe different people have different needs.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
6-8, but not enough REM sleep. I may as well be getting 4.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pretty erratic. Either no sleep at all for 3 days straight, or sleeping for up to 11+ hours at once.
Generally, I try to go to bed around 11:00, and is forced to wake up at 6:20-ish...I think. Not very good sense of time, lol.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
375 Posts
I sleep an average of 8 hours as far as bedtime to wake up time is concerned, but I awake 5-7 times during the night, and so the net sleep total is probably closer to 7 hours on average. Apparently I require a LOT of sleep to reach satisfaction. It is strange because sometimes if I sleep only 6 hours, I wake up tired but my body conjures up extra energy through the day, but if I sleep 9-10 hours I feel like I can barely move or think during the day. In other words, I never feel satisfied from sleep, ever. Not to complain, it's just truth. Maybe once or twice a year, but I'm not sure.

Sleep Theories...

I would speculate that part of the reason for not experiencing fulfilling sleep (common among INFPs as I have understood) is because of a lack of deep delta sleep periods during the night where serotonin levels are higher and dreaming is less frequent, and the body and brain rejuvenate the most. Also, frequent awakenings interrupt this period of deep sleep. Reasons for this may have to do with vigilance that is ingrained in the mind during the daytime and keeps the mind more active and vigilant during sleep so that one is able to wake up at the smallest sign of threat. If a person has a lot of dreams and very vivid dreams through most of the night, this could explain the lack of deep delta sleep and lack of rejuvenation, because the brain is maintaining higher activity and vigilance and serotonin levels are lower. With lower serotonin in sleep, less rejuvenation occurs. Also, with the brain in a higher vigilant state, the norepinephrine levels are higher, keeping the brain more alert. This usually leads to an increase in vivid dreams and lucid dreams for some individuals, because the brain is in a state where the trait of attentive perception is activated, bringing the dream into greater vivification and possibly leading to the awareness of dreaming.

With a combination of these occurrences, the body requires more sleep time to rejuvenate. This also explains why I can sleep 12 hours and still feel tired - with the increase in sleep time, the body tries to make up for lost sleep by lessening my energy resources and designating the resources for rejuvenation, which probably does good for me, but makes me feel groggy when I awake.

Perhaps some of you can relate to these things?

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Today, I slept until 11am to 3pm, so four hours. Last night, I slept from 4am to 2pm. Night before that, 3am to 12pm.

I'm not consistant. It comes with insomnia :tongue: I usually feel best if I get either six hours of sleep or ten hours, not seven or eight. I'll go a few weeks with very little sleep (4-6 hours) and then sleep for ten hours for a couple weeks. Then there's nights where I can't sleep at all.

Sometimes I'm curious about how my REM patterns are, how good my breathing is when I sleep, stuff like that. But I really don't want to go through a sleep study :dry:

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
With a combination of these occurrences, the body requires more sleep time to rejuvenate. This also explains why I can sleep 12 hours and still feel tired - with the increase in sleep time, the body tries to make up for lost sleep by lessening my energy resources and designating the resources for rejuvenation, which probably does good for me, but makes me feel groggy when I awake.
Actually, there's been scientific evidence to back up the problems caused by oversleeping. This is from a quick Google search (I'm heading out, so didn't have time to look for something better), but here's an article.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
How do you know that you aren't getting enough REM, and how do you attribute that to lack of satisfying sleep?
I wish I could give a full response, but I have to shoot out the door.
Based on your references earlier, I'm sure you're familiar with the stages of sleep and how we hover between a select few, most of the time. Outside of REM sleep, I consider most of it as basically just meditation and relaxation. It's great, but often falls short of what you actually need to recover for the new day.

Next I'd ramble about how great melatonin is to help induce REM (although some people are scared of how vivid it will make their dreams), but gotttta go.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I cycle - I'll go from 6-7 hours of sleep a night to 5-6, then 4-5 and then 3-4 hours over the course of a few weeks, then a crash for at least a full day then back to doing the same. If I'm paying attention and catch it before it gets bad (or have someone be all responsible and cut off conversations... harumph) then I can keep myself from reaching 2-4 hours of sleep for a week and prevent the horrible crash and burn from happening. Mind you, this is my cycle when I have to wake up at the ungodly hour of 630 (or 7 as it was this morning after hitting snooze for 45 minutes...) and work a day job.

If given the opportunity to work a swing or night shift, my schedule is vastly different and actually much healthier. I tend to go to sleep the best around the same time the sun rises, doesn't matter time of year, just whenever the sun is rising, and can wake up between 11am and 3pm feeling really good. That's a great swingshift schedule. If I'm working night shifts, I'll go to bed between 9 and 11am and wake up around 4 or 5pm and be ready to go. It's amazing the difference it can have.

So, a suggestion to those of you who tend not to sleep well on the typical day time schedule, chart your normal patterns during the day, when do you feel most alert, most tired, etc. The only reason I noticed mine at all was when coworker pointed out that I suddenly "perked up" around 3pm every single day, no matter how much coffee I drank or didn't drink or how much sleep I had the day before. That was and always has been my normal wake up time, at least as far as my brain is convinced. I think there are a lot more "night" people than studies show, but most of us are very limited and must conform to what is considered normal due to what sort of work is available and child rearing and whatnot. I'm just lucky that if I truly do get annoyed with this silly sleep pattern, I have the option of finding a hospital swing or overnight shift.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I usually sleep for about 4-6 hours, Not enough hours in the day for me to do my stuff that I can't even remember what they are.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I wish I could give a full response, but I have to shoot out the door.
Based on your references earlier, I'm sure you're familiar with the stages of sleep and how we hover between a select few, most of the time. Outside of REM sleep, I consider most of it as basically just meditation and relaxation. It's great, but often falls short of what you actually need to recover for the new day.

Next I'd ramble about how great melatonin is to help induce REM (although some people are scared of how vivid it will make their dreams), but gotttta go.
Depends on the dose of melatonin as side effects are very much so dose dependent. My experiences are 0.25mg taken 3-4 hours before I want to go to bed is enough to help me feel tired and get into a good sleep, but not knock me out OR make me paranoid/have horrible nightmares. *shudders* Vivid dreams can be dealt with. Waking up in my room while not being able to pull myself from the dream and watching friends get tortured in my dreams while awake... not so much so.

I'd much rather go over general good sleep hygiene practices and all that first prior to taking oral melatonin, especially since the entire idea behind the development of good sleep habits is to get your brain to release melatonin at the rates and times that are most conducive to your own personal sleep pattern, once you've got that established. But, that could again be me thinking Do Not Want in regards to some of the side effects from increased melatonin levels.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I try to sleep 8 hours, but I'm a bit of an insomniac. This year's better because of benadryl, which is probably unhealthy, but preferable to not sleeping.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I usually wake up before my alarm rings at 5:18 am. Usually, I don't fall asleep till eleven-something, so I get around six hours of sleep. Yeah it sucks but I still dream, so I must be getting enough sleep.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts