Votes: 7 21.9%
  • 4+

Votes: 4 12.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that many INFJ's love languages and am wondering in average how many do you know or how many you are fluent in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
One.

I've always, always wanted to learn another language, but was discouraged from it (I won't get into the details). I don't have the discipline to teach myself but don't have the time / money to take a class, and honestly to the extent that I do there other subjects I'm even more interested in that I'd probably devote time to instead.

But, I do hope to learn at least one other at some point in my life.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
English is my first language, but I also know Hebrew semi-fluently. (Those were the two I counted)

I've also had two years of Spanish, and I'll be trying out Latin in the spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm good with English and Malay language. I can speak and listen Chinese but cannot read or write it. Also I only can listen a bit of Hokkien though.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I am close to native in English and Chinese. I can switch at a drop of a hat and translate simultaneously on the spot if the topic is not field specific.

However it took me years of reading and writing to get this way. It doesn't come naturally.

My ISTP friend is fluent in English, Japanese, Farsi and able to understand mandarin, Korean, Spanish, and French.

An ISFJ friend is native good in French and Cantonese, close to native in English and Mandarin. He can also converse in Vietnamese.

·
Registered
253 Posts
English is my second language. I know two local languages in my part of the world, although one I know I few words and I can't read it. Tried to learn Spanish and french without classes. I know a little latin too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
English is the only language I speak. I know some French thanks to school (they made it a requirement course like almost every grade) and ballet classes. There are some words here and there from other languages that I know, but I wouldn't say I'm fluent. I would really like to know a bunch of languages. I find that aspect of humans amazing... the fact we can speak and communicate in so many different ways.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I know 3 :)
-Ob.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Mandarin, English, Japanese. Finding no time for Korean right now, otherwise I know all the characters/alphabets (?) and can catch a few words or two. Nothing close to understanding or fluency like the mentioned 3 though. Some of the Korean pronunciations and grammar structure are so close to Japanese and Mandarin that I'm still trying to find a good strategy/method to remember stuff.

Reactions: _Observer_

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Alas only English with hints of high school grade French with a few written words known from other Latin languages (mostly from studies and reading books such as Dante the Divine Comedy).

·
Registered
234 Posts
English and French (mostly) fluently, but I have also studied Spanish, Russian, ASL, Bambara, and Samoan.

I love languages, however, it should be noted that multilingualism reflects life circumstances and access to education as well as personal inclination.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The only language I consider myself fluent in is English.

I've studied French, Latin, and Hindi through classes, but with very few people to converse with my skill tends to deteriorate quickly. I'd say I'm at an elementary level speaking French, but can generally read it just fine. Latin I'm sure I've forgotten most everything by now and my Hindi only comes into play when watching films these days.

Aside from that I've had casual interests in several other languages, but it usually comes down to having no one to practice with.

I'd love to have the talent required to be a polyglot. My cousin (who probably greatly influenced me as a child in this respect) speaks 7 or 8 languages fluently (did so by the age of 16) and is now a permanent resident of France working as a translator. He just has a head for it, I guess.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Norwegian is my mother tongue. I speak Swedish and Danish so well that most native speakers think I'm one of them.
I think my English is good enough to call myself fluent in it.
So that's four for me.

I can also read Faroese quite well, and to a lesser extent Icelandic, German and Dutch. I can't write or speak in those languages myself though, and find them hard to understand in spoken form.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I love foreign languages, but I can' t really say the scientific/ linguistic approach is something I enjoy. I would rather learn other languages by myself, if possible, or by spending time with native speakers.
English is not my native language, so I can count two, so far. I am currently learning the third one, too.
I also know a fourth language, at an A2 level, maybe, or between A2-B1. I'm still working on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts