Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've come across an old post of mine in which I asked what your New Year's resolutions were for 2017 and... :dry: you can guess what I think of my last year's resolutions and how well I completed them. :rolleyes:

Instead, this time I want to ask how many you've broken so far.

- I wanted to quit sugar: in New Year's morning I ate half a cake

- I forbid myself to buy more books before finishing the ones I already have: the third day of the year, and I've already visited a bookshop twice. I didn't buy a book for myself, but there's only a matter of time.

- I decided this 2018 was going to be the year I let go of a former lover: I've texted him already. Twice. :mellow:

Reactions: Sygma

·
Registered
779 Posts
Don'(t give up. Its still possible. You just need a strategy. Like, if you want to quit sugar you either avoid all sugary foods, or replace sugar. Instead of not buying new books, maybe make a resolution to read the ones you have. And I think you know what to do about your ex: delete that number. (or don't, its your choice in the end)

Cheer Squad: :carrot::words::penguin::jupiter:

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Don'(t give up. Its still possible. You just need a strategy. Like, if you want to quit sugar you either avoid all sugary foods, or replace sugar. Instead of not buying new books, maybe make a resolution to read the ones you have. And I think you know what to do about your ex: delete that number. (or don't, its your choice in the end)

Cheer Squad: :carrot::words::penguin::jupiter:
Adorable!
Sailor Jupiter really kicks it up a notch!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't really do New Years resolutions because i tend to change things throughout the year. Don't always want to change things at the beginning because i've already tried to start stuff. Last month i started meditating. That's going decent. I skip a few days here and there but overall sticking with it. I'm usually good at sticking with something for about 2 months or so...and then i wander off. Maybe school is what trained me to do that.

I was suppose to send something in the mail a couple of weeks ago...hasnt happened yet. Can that be a new years resolution? Send the damn thing? i still have time but the procrastination is getting a little out of hand.

Ohh...my eating habits are awful and my one friend is a nutritionist so she's been trying to get me to eat better. She asked me to eat a veggie with every meal and i guess it's going good cuz i get to troll a bit. I send her pictures of one pea, or one baby carrot, or a uni-corn on my plate. She might strangle me next time we hang out. jk. lol. But that's on my list of things to improve...and not going so good just yet.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got tired of lying to myself. My new years resolution moving forward is to have none.
I am quite sure I can accomplish nothing.
This is not the Slytherin-ENTP spirit

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I find New Years Resolutions to be useless and are set up for failure. Either they are vague and without plan ("I want to lose 10 pounds"), so specific that it does not equate to real life ("I will go to the gym 5 times a week"), or restrictive ("I will not eat chocolate"). The issue with saying they will losing weight is that often people don't really have a clear plan to accomplish this or want to have it happen quickly that they do a fad diet that is hard to maintain. When you give a very specific resolution like going to the gym a certain number of times a week, there is going to be weeks where this just might not happen because you got the flu or you are traveling a lot for work. When you deny yourself something like not eating chocolate, you are going to crave that chocolate, or maybe you are out at a nice restaurant with friends for a special occasion and the table gets an awesome chocolate dessert, you will feel like you are deprived. In all these circumstances, you leave no room for failure. Once you don't go to the gym 5 times a week or eat a piece of chocolate, you have failed at your resolution so you might as well give up.

If you must do resolutions, try and make them attainable, non-restrictive, and not all or nothing. For example, say you have an issue with eating too much chocolate, don't say, "I will not eat chocolate". A resolution could be "I will try to eat less chocolate than the week before". It's attainable and would work towards limiting how much chocolate you eat without just flat denying it. For the gym, a cumulative number might be better for the whole year (like 150 days for the year) or make it that you will be active/exercise at least so many times a week. If you are working out of town and have late nights you can get at least a certain number of steps in/activity or do a few body weight exercises in your hotel room and satisfy this.

Anyway, I don't really like resolutions. One thing that I am striving for is to tap into my feelings a little more. I think I've gotten too blank/down the middle in my emotions and really should make an effort to notice how I'm feeling and actually let myself feel it. It would probably make my life a little more happier/interesting.

Reactions: TallGreen

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Fueled is not Slytherin. I would guess he's a Hufflepuff.

I'm not Slytherin either. I test either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fueled is not Slytherin. I would guess he's a Hufflepuff.

I'm not Slytherin either. I test either Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.
yeah, I meant to say that it was my kind of ENTPism, Slytherin. That not having New Years resolutions is very much non-Slytherin, which probably fits either of you.

P.S: my explaning when I'm listening to music on the background is crap

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
yeah, I meant to say that it was my kind of ENTPism, Slytherin. That not having New Years resolutions is very much non-Slytherin, which probably fits either of you.

P.S: my explaning when I'm listening to music on the background is crap
I'd disagree. Having resolutions, which means the person is ambitious and achievement-orientated, is a Syltherin trait. As they are described: "Slytherins tend to be ambitious, shrewd, cunning, strong leaders, and achievement-oriented." I actually think ENTPs are more likely Ravenclaw over all the other houses. We can be cunning like Syltherins but we are not particularly driven or need achievements to feel good. We prize wit, knowledge, and intelligence. I don't think we are often Griffindor because we are not particularly brave or chivalrous. Although we are not as nice as Hufflepuffs, but we tend to like fair play and patience and are generally chill. I would say we most often fall into Ravenclaw, then Syltherin, then Hufflepuff, and are least likely to be Griffindor.

Reactions: olonny

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd disagree. Having resolutions, which means the person is ambitious and achievement-orientated, is a Syltherin trait. As they are described: "Slytherins tend to be ambitious, shrewd, cunning, strong leaders, and achievement-oriented." I actually think ENTPs are more likely Ravenclaw over all the other houses. We can be cunning like Syltherins but we are not particularly driven or need achievements to feel good. We prize wit, knowledge, and intelligence. I don't think we are often Griffindor because we are not particularly brave or chivalrous. Although we are not as nice as Hufflepuffs, but we tend to like fair play and patience and are generally chill. I would say we most often fall into Ravenclaw, then Syltherin, then Hufflepuff, and are least likely to be Griffindor.
Totally agree with having resolutions = Slytherin. Actually, that first part is exactly what I was trying to say :laughing:

I'm positive I've talked about this so many other times in here, but I'm not sure it was with you so I'll repeat it. There's this theory that I like very much which separates your house into two branches: first, what motivates you, second, how and what you do to get the things that motivates you. We ENTPs are very Ravenclaw when it comes to the motivation; it's all about knowledge mainly. But the ways - adaptable, going with the flow, sometimes opportunistics - are very much Slytherin. Here more info on that

For example, most of the fictional ENTP characters which I personally not only like but feel like they represent me as an ENTP, are very much Slytherin. Tyrion Lannister, Barney Stinson, Chandler Bing.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I'm on day 3 (or 4) of no shaving.

didn't really plan on not shaving, just went to work hung over and unshaven on new years day and friend said I should grow out a beard and I said "hmm aight I'll do it" ... I don't think I'll commit myself to a year long beard just yet... since the one time I tried growing out my facial hair a few yrs ago it was patchy and I felt it didn't look too good ... cool thing about doing it as new yrs resolution is it's easy to count the days I've gone w/o shaving ( tho last I shaved was sat, so I don't know if that means I have +1 day?)... and thinking about it it's actually a good resolution since things that help beard to grow (exercise, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, lowering stress, staying hydrated/moisturing etc) are things I ought to be doing for my health, esp in winter when my skin tends to get very dry and I have tendency to exercise less and eat less healthy...and having a beard will allow me to focus that towards a goal .. rather than failing to do so and then being like shit I've done fucked up i'm flabby and my skin is dry .... plus it'll prob be an easy resolution not to break because it equates to being too lazy to shave, breaking it will take more effort than not breaking it XD

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Got tired of lying to myself. My new years resolution moving forward is to have none.
I am quite sure I can accomplish nothing.
so if you succeed at a goal then you fail?

and if you don't achieve any goals then you succeed?

..but if you succeed in your resolution won't you have achieved a goal??? in which case..

·
Registered
189 Posts
New Year's Resolutions are dumb unless you have an ACTUAL commitment to the resolution.
Which isn't likely, because you're letting the location of the earth around the sun define your motives.

But, nonetheless, I gave myself ONE New Year's Resolution. My first one in the 17 years I've been alive.
I'm marking how many times I go to Wal-Mart (Not sponsored) in 2018. I'm marking how many times I go in one day, and who I go with.
Last year, there was a period of time in which I went to Wal-Mart every day for about three weeks, at least once a day.
So far, surprisingly, I've only gone once this year.

Edit: I just realized I didn't answer properly to what the entire post was about, but...Oh well. Just pray I won't fail this resolution. It's my first time trying. Lmao.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Totally agree with having resolutions = Slytherin. Actually, that first part is exactly what I was trying to say :laughing:

I'm positive I've talked about this so many other times in here, but I'm not sure it was with you so I'll repeat it. There's this theory that I like very much which separates your house into two branches: first, what motivates you, second, how and what you do to get the things that motivates you. We ENTPs are very Ravenclaw when it comes to the motivation; it's all about knowledge mainly. But the ways - adaptable, going with the flow, sometimes opportunistics - are very much Slytherin. Here more info on that

For example, most of the fictional ENTP characters which I personally not only like but feel like they represent me as an ENTP, are very much Slytherin. Tyrion Lannister, Barney Stinson, Chandler Bing.
Hold UP Candler is a Slytherin? How so? I don't see him as cunning, or particularly ambitious or opportunistic?

But just to stay on topic. New years resolutions. I need to develop my inner Slytherin, and rain in the Hufflepuff. Any tips on how to?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hold UP Candler is a Slytherin? How so? I don't see him as cunning, or particularly ambitious or opportunistic?

But just to stay on topic. New years resolutions. I need to develop my inner Slytherin, and rain in the Hufflepuff. Any tips on how to?
Being Hufflepuff is a great gift, so use it wisely. However, being nice doesn't mean being stupid and that's probably where Slytherin comes in handy.

A few examples on how you can improve your life by being a bit Slytherin (once I've accepted my Slytherinism, I'm happier haha)
- A part of being Slytherin is trying to look out for yourself and those that matter to you, doing things that are beneficial for yourself and your inner circle - as long as that it doesn't mean harm or make things worse for the others. It does sound like something selfish to do, but again, as long as you don't harm the rest of the population, it is actually a quite noble thing to do.
- Doing things with perspective and implications; knowing what your actions might imply and trying to soften them and get the benefit out of it. Example: I'm a teacher, there were three age groups and I wanted the younger ones but there weren't enough teachers for the middle group. I didn't want the middle group, but chances were I was bound to be one of the teachers of that group because of logistics. Instead of complaining and ending up getting that group anyway, I volunteered with the condition that I could choose the youngest among that middle group, which it was, in a way, a guarantee of a group of students I was comfortable with.

Chandler: He’s probably not a very obvious Slytherin (unlike his wife) but he is extremely resourceful, he always has a witty answer for everything that happens around him. A very obvious sign I see for his being a Slytherin is that he holds his own life dearly, he’s got a high sense of self-preservation and, according to Harry Potter’s wikia “This means that Slytherins tend to hesitate before acting, so as to weigh all possible outcomes before deciding exactly what should be done.” Pretty much what Chandler does every single day.

Reactions: TallGreen

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
hmm watch the first three HP's with my kids way back in the day but thats
about it. I may have taken the house test thing but cant remember.

OO wait I think I did but it asked me questions that were specific to
the movies and I had no idea what to answer.

I would assume that giving up is a very slytherin thing to do though.
If not giving up at least abandoning futility.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts