Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I'm an ENTP and a Non-HSP

Votes: 4 13.3%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elaine Aron, who authored the book "The Highly Sensitive Person", says that about 20% of humans (and other species) have an innate temperament with high levels of "sensory processing sensitivity", a different way of approaching life when compared with the less sensitive. The four main characteristics of this temperament have been described with the "DOES" acronym:

D= Depth of Processing. We observe and mull it over before we act. We reflect upon lessons learned from our and others’ experiences.
O= Overstimulated. Since we notice more in any situation, we will hit that overstimulated point before a non-HSP. Moderately arousing settings can seem over-arousing to an HSP.
E= Emotional reactivity. We have strong emotional reactions, and we are in tune with others’ emotional cues, which makes us very empathetic.
S= Subtle Stimuli. We notice subtle stimuli in the environment that others don’t.

Aron created a test to determine if a person falls into HSP range. A score of 14 or more on this test denotes an HSP (my personal score is 16). This test was given in the NF section, and about 90% of NFs scored in HSP range. So I thought I'd bring it here and see how the NTs score on it. I expect either no, or next-to-no ENTXs will score with this temperament but I might be surprised by what I see. Anyways, feel free to take it, share results and personal life stories.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Your total: 18

That aside, I wouldn't consider myself particularly sensitive. Most questions I answer yes were about whether sensory input overwhelms me and the answer is yes, absolutely, it does, but that's not because I'm noticing more things than most or picking up subtleties. I'm just really slow to process.

Saying I'm highly sensitive kinda makes it seem like I'm seeing things into more depth than most people, and I'm not. I just need to think about what I saw, and I can't do it if there's other stuff stimulating me all at once.

I function well in situations that need quick decisive action, like in emergency care, when there's a clear goal and I tune out everything irrelevant and work towards it. But take me to a disco and I'll spend the whole night kinda wanting to die.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I scored 16. I don't know how one would differentiate this HSP thing from sensory processing disorders and other medical conditions though. A lot of my answers seemed to pertain to my having an auditory processing deficit, and I'm strongly affected by hunger because I'm hypoglycemic. And I don't relate to like half of the DOES: I'm not generally in tune with other people's feelings, I'm not particularly empathetic, and I suspect that I miss a lot of environmental stimuli because I'm so busy being overwhelmed by whatever is loudest and most distracting (I tend to notice random details of objects and be unable to tune out sounds rather than tuning in to what people are doing/saying or anything important/useful/desirable). I have not had strong emotions for most of my life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got an 8. I can get rattled if I have a lot on my plate with school, work, or relationships but even then I don’t totally freak out like I think other people tend to do. Usually I can pick up on tension in a room quite easily and this sometimes makes me uncomfortable. In terms of my own feelings, I’ve never really been offended by anything that seems been said or done to me, I hope that’s not a disorder haha. It sounds very trivial but I think the time I remember being the most offended was when my friends were going to a big event and they didn’t invite me lol

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Got 24 on the test, things centered around others especially when it is all hurr durr go go go fast fast fast drives me crazy and is very draining. The pace of modern life is not healthy.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Your score: 6.

No surprise there. Though I'd say some questions could also indicate things like introversion and I am not sure if that's intended or dubious.
Wonder if there's a correlation between this test and Neuroticism in big 5?
I score low on both.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
:blushed:
Not really surprised, though. My Empathy Quotient (EQ) is 60 and my HSP score on some other test (factored as a percent) is 88% which is way above average. Average EQ is 42 for a man and 47 for a woman. So does this mean I'm Force-sensitive? Cuz that's awesome.
:proud:
Got 24 on the test, things centered around others especially when it is all hurr durr go go go fast fast fast drives me crazy and is very draining. The pace of modern life is not healthy.
Big mood.

Reactions: Squirt

·
Registered
805 Posts
Score was 7 and really thought it would be higher. Sensory stimuli is not unpleasant for the most part, but emotional reactivity is an area for improvement.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
What does it mean if I sometimes enjoyjoy certain forms of overstimulation?
:crazy:

Reactions: Squirt

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
:blushed:
Not really surprised, though. My Empathy Quotient (EQ) is 60 and my HSP score on some other test (factored as a percent) is 88% which is way above average. Average EQ is 42 for a man and 47 for a woman. So does this mean I'm Force-sensitive? Cuz that's awesome.
:proud:

Big mood.
I get 8 on HSP and 66 on Empathy Quotient.

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That means you're an empath without having to be highly sensitive. Your sensitivity is probably normal.
Most empaths describe themselves as being emotional energy sponges, so they tend to be HSP. I have what I describe as variable visual emotional telepathy, which is a pretty close match for a claircognizant empath. So while I “feel” some people emotions, I also “know” exactly where those emotions originate. So my environment doesn’t cause me dramas like most emapaths. Of course over time the people I do connect with have allowed me to become very attuned to body language and thus read people I dont connect with.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was surprised to get a score as high as 8, because I'm used to thinking of myself as a very low sensitivity person.

I guess I could have gone the other way with some of the questions - what does it mean to "make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations", for instance? Highly sensitive people probably have a whole different idea of what constitutes an upsetting situation. Or "changes in my life shake me up"? I checked yes, thinking of changes like getting fired, or divorced, or seriously ill. Maybe I'm just a highly negative person?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts