Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Thrill-seeker, yes. Motorcycles, not so much. I want to live as long as possible.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Thrill-seeker, yes. Motorcycles, not so much. I want to live as long as possible.
I hate it when people go "Oh, I couldn't own a bike - I'd kill myself immediately".
I say the same thing Spidey's uncle did: With great power comes great responsibility. If you're pumping out 0,3-0,5 kW of power for every kg of weight (bike + rider), it stands to reason that you'll accelerate faster than most cars you can ever hope to afford. However I can't say that's a bad thing. It just means you need to be more careful about what you do, and that you need to think ahead farther to compensate for the stupidity of other people on the road - and a bike gives you the power and nimbleness to execute that perfectly well.

That said, I don't think I'd like to own a crotch rocket unless I had access to unlimited track time. A more real-life-oriented bike is basically more useful in real life. And as long as the road turns, it's more a question of how good you are at handling your bike than about the power output of your engine or if you've got Showa or Öhlins forks, imho. Then again: If I owned an R1 or a GSX-R instead of an XB12X, I'm sure I could justify that too. :laughing:

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I'm not concerned about my ability to handle a bike, I was thinking about the carelessness of everyone else on the road. Last year, I was rear-ended. Rear-ended by someone who was rear-ended by someone who was rear-ended and I rear-ended the person in front of me. I hate to think of what would have happened had one of us been on a motorcycle. I simply want as much protection as possible between me and the stupidity of other people.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Motorcycles are referred to as "donorcycles" in the medical community. That's enough of a deterrent for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I haven't had much chance for adventure in my life so far but if I make a list of things I would LOVE to do before I die it generally includes the following:

BASE Jumping
Sky Diving
Bungee Jumping
Rock Climbing/Abseiling (in the real world)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I had my Ninja for two years... until I had to sell it to pay for school. :crying:

Next time, some day, I'm getting an HD Fatboy.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Oh yes, big time avocation for me.

I've done track days on a built Suzuki SV. Test track rides on Buells, Triumphs, GSXR's. Plenty of highspeed touring miles on Honda ST's and Blackbirds and Yamaha FJR's. I've done several IronButt rides. Ridden through Southern Germany on an Beemer 1200GS. I've hit speeds on public highways that would have gotten me arrested at best and liquefied at worst.

It's been a wonderful part of my life over the years. I've tapered back recently because it is-- as others point out--dangerous as hell and I now have a little boy to take care of. I still take my dual sport out for a blast on backroads now and then.

And yes, I am an NT and there are other NT's like me who love this stuff. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
And I've never been on a motorbike. I lose.:unsure:

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
My parents would probably disown me because over here it's very common that people in cars just don't give a shit about a biker and crash right into them. Fucking assholes keeping me from having fun.

I've ridden on bikes and being a former bmx lover I have to say the bliss I feel of having that much control and speed is nothing compared to what it felt like at the back of a motorbike, not even driving it.

But holy shit, cars act like dogs on the road and treat you like a cat.

·
Banned
10 Posts
I want to learn how to ride. i could just ask someone I know to teach me, but with motorcycles, I can't afford to not know something. So I'm just going to do it the risk-averse way and take the MSF course. Waives the riding portion of the test and lowers insurance payments, what's not to like?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My first thought was "Ok this topic wants to know how many of us like to masturbate a lot".

Anyway, I don't do motocycles. They're gorgeous, of course, but I don't like it that is so insecure (no door, no roof, nothing around and the driver is very exposed). But for other thrills I'm all for - rally on the streets, jeeps, I did bungee (loved it), parachute is still waiting ... bring on the action! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I`ll (hopefully) pass my practical test for bike license on 4th:) Aiming for Ninja or Honda VTR, both 250. Man I love bikes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts