Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister made a comment to me about my single status. I know some people fear being "alone," but I'm not one for letting the fact that I'm getting older make me settle for the first person to come along. I am happy being single and I do want to find someone. I just want it to be the right person. If you are single, does your age bother you? Do you worry about not finding someone and ending up alone?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've lived most of my adult life alone - as in 'not in a relationship' but it has been full of friends and family. It helps that I am an artist, so much of my focus is/was there. Up until recently I figured I would stay alone - not meeting Mr. Right till our wheelchairs were side by side at the Home.:laughing:

That said, I feel that I now know myself well enough to try again (after an 18 year hiatus) - the trick will be figuring out where to start. As an INFP, this is going to be waaaay out of my comfort zone!:blushed:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Being single and not being so are the two sides of the coin of life. Being single can be not being single for life and not being single can be being single for life!

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
No, I don't mind being alone. Yes, I do mind being lonely. I like the connection when I come home to someone special. So, therefore, I do mind being alone all of the time.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Tried partnering, got a few t-shirts, now single and loving it and staying that way! If I never dated again, that would be perfectly fine with me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Being married doesn't guarantee you won't feel alone. Why do I know this? I am in a miserable marriage and unimaginably lonely. Just counting the days before I can escape. Becoming single might not make me any less lonely, but I am certain I will be more free, and freedom is worth far more to me than an existence like this.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Being married doesn't guarantee you won't feel alone. Why do I know this? I am in a miserable marriage and unimaginably lonely. Just counting the days before I can escape. Becoming single might not make me any less lonely, but I am certain I will be more free, and freedom is worth far more to me than an existence like this.
That is why I am terrified of the thought of entrapment (marriage).

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am single, but with children so I am never alone. I dont mind being single-it hasnt really bothered me, but I would be much happier if I were in a relationship. I would also be really lonely if I didnt have my kids at home. I have been a mom for many, many moons and have never come home to an empty house my whole life so that would be devastatingly quiet for me. I hope to be in a relationship in the next year or so-crossing my fingers for finding- "the one".

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am single now, after a 27 year long relationship.
I live with my children, so I'm not alone.
But I look forward them leaving home and for me to come to my home on my own.

If someone comes into my life, he'll be welcome, but I won't worry if he doesn't.:cool:

Life is soooo good now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been single for the past 5-years and right now I'm still enjoying it. If the right one comes along, that'll be cool, if not, that's cool too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was never more alone than when I was married. Biggest mistake of my life, I knew it then and I know it now. A waste of a good 20 years I could have been single. Bitter? Nah, it was a choice I made. Just don't marry a man you don't love in the first place and then hang around for 20 years.....for the kids. Good One, not.
I know exactly what you mean. That's my story too, except that I am still plotting my escape. I've heard this story too many times..."staying together for the kids" means that you will be presented with divorce papers the day the last child moves out. That's why I want out NOW.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Single always have been always will be. I'm fiercely independent and even the thought of marriage gives me chills

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Single
Being single per se doesn't bother me but I would like to be with a woman at least once a week and that not being the case does bother me.:sad:

Reactions: Tucken

·
Registered
65 Posts
Single, yes. I wouldn't say it bothered me. Sometimes I think it might bother me more to have to get accustomed to a whole new relationship.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Being lonely in a marriage is the worst kind of loneliness. Now that I'm single again, I'm in no hurry to be in a relationship. It would take an exceptional person to earn my trust and loyalty. I'm older and wiser and know myself much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am single, but then again, I was single while I was married. How does that happen? It happens when only one person is working on the marriage for most of the marriage. When my husband filed for divorce, he beat me to it, made it as miserable as possible, drug it out until my son and I almost had to give up moving out of state and so, when it was over, I was so relieved, I could finally sleep again. I took pleasure in handling my own divorce without an attorney and being able to stand toe to toe with his attorney, sweet justice!

I do mind being lonley, but do not fear being alone. It is hard to meet someone when you move across country and no longer have a base group your own age. I will survive though it is not always what I want, to just "survive" I mean, I want to live every second left as if it were my last on earth.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome kmmpom

I am single, but then again, I was single while I was married. How does that happen? It happens when only one person is working on the marriage for most of the marriage. When my husband filed for divorce, he beat me to it, made it as miserable as possible, drug it out until my son and I almost had to give up moving out of state and so, when it was over, I was so relieved, I could finally sleep again. I took pleasure in handling my own divorce without an attorney and being able to stand toe to toe with his attorney, sweet justice!

I do mind being lonley, but do not fear being alone. It is hard to meet someone when you move across country and no longer have a base group your own age. I will survive though it is not always what I want, to just "survive" I mean, I want to live every second left as if it were my last on earth.
Welcome to PerC. I hope you can find here a base group to share your thoughts with.

Lots of us share similar situations.

I'm very sorry that having a 'logic' type as a husband caused you so much grievance. Don't discount all of us because that one bad experience.

As we get older, we are all learning new skills.

For some of us, it is really hard. But we're still trying.....:mellow:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts