Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you can finish an entire book cover to cover, without skipping some stuff, or moving on to a new book? I find this a very difficult task to accomplish.

Reactions: Vanilambrozja

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I haven't. But in my defense, I really only read non-fiction books which allow me to just go to the extremely interesting chapters hehe

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
It depends on the content of the book. If it's of great interest, I would ravage through it until completed.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It depends on my interest level against the length of the book against the length of my vacation.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I generally get through most books that I start...but my problem is that I'm reading about 5 books at the same time so it takes my 5 times as long to read just one...the only priority-setting is if it's a library book.

If I can't really get into a book within the first 50 pages or so, then I generally abandon it.

Reactions: rachelbird26

·
Registered
401 Posts
Books have to be nonfiction for me, mainly fantasy and scifi. Ender's Game is one of the more compelling ones I've read.

It's odd, and though it's cheesy~ I find myself enthralled with some Warhammer 40k books. The universe fascinates me honestly.

Been some time since I've read anything like The Golden Compass~ and when I was a kid I would EAT UP Hardy Boys Casefiles books like they were candy. Omnomnomnom~ one book down, next, omnomnom~ etc.

Reactions: cbelle

·
Registered
107 Posts
I grew up pretty isolated from people, and reading books was the only thing I could do, I got to really like reading fiction books, I always read the entire book, but I also read really really fast

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It depends on the book. For example, if the book is interesting or entertaining to me, I can do it easily. If it's required reading for a class or something, I can do it, but it's often a lot less enjoyable since most of those books tend to be boring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it depends on how complex the book is.. if its a simple straight forward book and its interesting i.e. fiction - I can usually finish it in a day or two if compelled to do so... now if its a book with a lot of complex knowledge e.g. something I want to remember from beginning to end.. it can take me a whiiile like a month or two and I'd prob be read two complex books at a time.. baby steps cos I wana soak it alll in :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depends, if I love it I consume it whole. If it gets dull I skip around.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It depends on the quality of the written word and the writer's flow for me (but, hey, I'm a literature major). The only way I'll keep reading if those aren't up to par is if I have something in mind to try and learn from the book. I'm pretty good (bad?) about never skipping anything, but I'm constantly moving on to new books as my whims carry me. At any given time I tend to have one pocket-sized book on the go for waiting rooms, a novel for reading at night, and a non-fiction for reading during the day all on the go. On top of that, other books will jostle in and out of these positions so it might be over a year before I get back to something I was maybe halfway through. (Which reminds me, I ought to get back to Llosa's La guerra del fin del mundo....) I'm no endurance reader either. After a university career that saw me do senseless things like finish Shakespeare plays in one sitting, I take on a more leisurely pace these days. Half-an-hour here; an hour there. Books are great though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love books... all genres and types. being a Library tech, books are in my blood. I will generally finish anything I start (IF I like it or have to), but then again, with all the books I have on the go, it sometimes takes me a while... I DO have many books on my "to read" list and have many, many lists. I am always with a book/reading material of some sort with me: fiction, nonfiction, periodical, magazine, flyer, iPod Touch...

People are always amazed that I am always reading.. I have been like this since I was a kid...:crazy:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love books... all genres and types. being a Library tech, books are in my blood. I will generally finish anything I start (IF I like it or have to), but then again, with all the books I have on the go, it sometimes takes me a while... I DO have many books on my "to read" list and have many, many lists. I am always with a book/reading material of some sort with me: fiction, nonfiction, periodical, magazine, flyer, iPod Touch...

People are always amazed that I am always reading.. I have been like this since I was a kid...:crazy:
Sounds like getting locked up with all the books in the world for eternity would be a dream for you. Just don't break your glasses. <3

·
Registered
594 Posts
How many of you can finish an entire book cover to cover, without skipping some stuff, or moving on to a new book? I find this a very difficult task to accomplish.
Not I!

And like many of You my dear ENFPs I am not interested in fictions-becouse I can't like many people identify with a book's figure's situation. And I love read randomly and usually from end to beginning. That's why I was hate school readings. But for me exist exceptions of course-Like Stephenie Meyer's saga wchich I was read all IV parts and special Edward Vth in 4-5 days.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can finish a book in one sitting...sometimes! If I like it and what it stands for :D
I'm a big Vonnegut/Salinger/Chuck Palahniuk/Kesey/psychological mindf*ck junkie and I can finish one of their books in a day if i'm buried in it. I'd have to get up and walk around with the book though cause I get fidgetty.
The authors I like, I like their writing styles too so i think it keeps me interested. If the writer's style isn't necessarily novel or captivating, I might have to bookmark/abandon it D:

Moby Dick = Temporary Mental Suicide

I apologize if anyone loves that book, I think I was just too impatient to sit through it all ahaha

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If a book I like the book I'll finish it in two days. Otherwise, I won't finish it. In fact, I hate reading books.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Love books... I find I have to finish even boring ones since I'd hate it if something interesting happened and I'd missed it... curiosity killed the ENFP...

·
Registered
623 Posts
We didn't have a television growing up. I had to read or go insane. So I read, all the time. I was reading 1,000 page books in 4th grade. I can read a standard nonfiction book in under a day now.(Such as the last Harry Potter book. I read it in six hours, taking only bathroom breaks.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts