Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have the oposite problem, I hyper-focus, and I have real problems with multi tasking and taking in lots of stimulas. Rather than share out my attention, I attention switch really quickly, focusing intently on each part of the task. I also get totally sucked into films or tv shows. You can shout at me sometimes and I just wont hear you.

I think it is linked to my dyslexia. I got told on my most recent assesment that I'm like a super computor with no RAM. Most people can have multiple programs running without any problems, but I can only handle one or two. Put on too many programs and information gets lost. I am getting better at this as I get older, though.

I very much belive in ADHD, I've got friends with it and I've helped out with childeren who have ADHD during my late teens. If I had it then I would take meds for it at least some of the time. It is a personal decision, and no likes to feel they need to be medicated for something they might just see as part of their personality, but sometimes I think it is simply neccisary to get things done.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I could rave about this for hours...

I was eleven when I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist. He was pushy, impersonal, and very arrogant. On our first visit/evaluation, my grandmother told him about the circumstances of my birth and early childhood (parents never married or involved, father deceased, cocaine baby, fetal alcohol syndrome, etc.). He took a few notes and handed my grandmother papers to give my teachers for evaluation. Our next visit, he prescribed Ritalin for me and gave me a pretty high dose. I was told to come back in a month.

Two weeks later, I was extremely depressed, suicidal, and zombified, as my grandmother and aunt described me. Sure, my schoolwork was getting done and the house was clean, but I was acting and feeling like a drone. I actually wrote about most of it in my journal, and my grandmother got hold of it. That's probably the main reason I was taken off the medicine.

After my brother died, my grandmother took me back to another psychiatrist and had me put on trileptal. I had terrible tremors, my depression increased, and I became zombified again. So, after I moved to Virginia (very unpleasant circumstances), I was sent to yet another psychiatrist and given Abilify until I was 18. That was, to say the least, one of the more interesting drugs. If I wasn't sulking somewhere away from people, I was usually sleeping or yelling at someone.

So, yeah... ADHD... Interesting concept, but, as a few psychiatry students I know have said, ADHD is the diagnosis doctors give to kids they don't know how to diagnose when they want to please the parents and get money still.

Yeah, I have a grim view on medication when it's not needed. Patience and understanding go a lot farther than shoving drugs down a kid's throat. -.-

·
Registered
644 Posts
I could rave about this for hours...

I was eleven when I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist. He was pushy, impersonal, and very arrogant. On our first visit/evaluation, my grandmother told him about the circumstances of my birth and early childhood (parents never married or involved, father deceased, cocaine baby, fetal alcohol syndrome, etc.). He took a few notes and handed my grandmother papers to give my teachers for evaluation. Our next visit, he prescribed Ritalin for me and gave me a pretty high dose. I was told to come back in a month.

Two weeks later, I was extremely depressed, suicidal, and zombified, as my grandmother and aunt described me. Sure, my schoolwork was getting done and the house was clean, but I was acting and feeling like a drone. I actually wrote about most of it in my journal, and my grandmother got hold of it. That's probably the main reason I was taken off the medicine.

After my brother died, my grandmother took me back to another psychiatrist and had me put on trileptal. I had terrible tremors, my depression increased, and I became zombified again. So, after I moved to Virginia (very unpleasant circumstances), I was sent to yet another psychiatrist and given Abilify until I was 18. That was, to say the least, one of the more interesting drugs. If I wasn't sulking somewhere away from people, I was usually sleeping or yelling at someone.

So, yeah... ADHD... Interesting concept, but, as a few psychiatry students I know have said, ADHD is the diagnosis doctors give to kids they don't know how to diagnose when they want to please the parents and get money still.

Yeah, I have a grim view on medication when it's not needed. Patience and understanding go a lot farther than shoving drugs down a kid's throat. -.-
I really think it depends on the individual and their personal cercomstances.

I do think ADHD is over diagnosed, and sometimes over medicated, but there are those who really benifit from medical treatment and have a very real difficulty. I think it is importaint to acknowledge that, and not to reject it or medication as an entire concept.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADD when i was 12, then had another assesment done when i was 17. The file they made of me after was massive! haha this worried me slightly :mellow: I didnt notice i was that bad! :tongue:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the oposite problem, I hyper-focus, and I have real problems with multi tasking and taking in lots of stimulas. Rather than share out my attention, I attention switch really quickly, focusing intently on each part of the task. I also get totally sucked into films or tv shows. You can shout at me sometimes and I just wont hear you.

This is actually a symptom of ADD/ADHD as well.

I ran a similar topic to this a long time ago as a poll, I was interested to see half to more than half of the ENFPs here do not identify as having ADD, I was certain there was more of us ^_^

I know I have ADHD myself, I work around it a lot, but am considering getting some more meds to help me with particularly difficult things, like finding the self-discipline(HA!) to study for my important test, or staying focused and organized enough at work to accomplish all my tasks.

I <3 ADHD, I love the up sides, the energy and crazy awesome randomness and spaceyness, but I also understand the limitations as well. personal thing though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is actually a symptom of ADD/ADHD as well.
I know some people with ADD/ADHD can have the ability to be extreamly attentive to certain tasks sometimes, as it's a difficulty with regulating attention, not simply being attentive. However I've not ever been partularly inattentive or had issues consenstraiting on tasks I dislike, at least beyond what is normal. As far as I know that means ADD/ADHD is unlikly.

I admit it's something I breifly considered when I was first learning about it (I have a particular interest and passon about such issues.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My istj somewhat bf, teases me and tells me I'm adhd, but to be honest, I'm just different than him. Have different strengths.

Wonder if the istj's should be given a drug to make them less rigid.....

When I was in the 7th grade the school tested me and decided I was borderline genius, and I was bored and moved me to the 9th grade....Not fun, being I was the only one in the class that was a "7th grader"

I agree with the others, that I have a tremendous ability to concentrate, if I'm interested in the subject.....Bill paying and filing is boring.....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just for clarification, what is commonly called ADD is actually ADHD. It's just ADHD, primarily inattentive. What we normall call ADHD is primarily hyperactive.

Just wanted to put that out there because my best friend has the second type, and I (probably) have the first, and there's definitely a difference between the two, although there are a lot of similarities.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Me as well, ADD but no hyperactivity. Was diagnosed at age 23. Wish I'd have known sooner... damn conformative Swedish school system. I've tried a lot of different medications and I feel that Concerta has been the one which worked the best. It helps me get things done without taking away too much of what makes me me, which is something certain other drugs did such as Strattera.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
As in I dont understand people that don't have that constant need to "go." Like, even if I'm not physically moving, I'm moving fast inside, unless I meditate for a long time, which is the shiz nizzle when I do :D
I was diagnosed as having ADD specifically because my biggest problem is the lack of attention. Everyone with ADHD and ADD is hyperactive in some way, which is why the "ADD" label is disappearing. People with ADD are still hyperactive on the inside, it just manifests itself in a different way. I can control myself enough to sit still for a while, but I still squirm, fidget and eventually drift away.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts