• isfp

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • esfp

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • istp

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • estp

Votes: 1 1.3%

how many of you have traveled alone before and enjoyed it- please state your type

6K views 87 replies 64 participants last post by  Flabarac Brupip 
#1 ·
how many of you have traveled alone before

#3 · (Edited)
ENFP...I have been on solo trips numerous times...
Twice to Germany, once to Argentina, once to Oregon, and once to Michigan. I also moved to Colorado by myself (not school related) for a year. If I wouldn't have moved to Colorado, I would have gone to A) Antarctica or B) Chile and either Nepal or New Zealand.

I like it because you meet a lot of interesting people and experience a variety of new things.

#4 · (Edited)
I went on a two week trip to a foreign country by myself. I was enrolled in language classes whilst I was there so I got to meet people that way. It was a safe city I was staying in so I wouldn't have even minded if I hadn't made any friends. But there were actually a few nice people there who I met. And I liked the sense of freedom. It was nice being somewhere new where no one knows me and I can just explore.

Edit: I'm an INTP.

#5 ·
INFJ.
I find traveling alone (depending where, foreign countries mean language barriers which is different then exploring US territory and I would much prefer someone with me for safety reasons) to be less stressful the majority of the time (and depending on who is accompanying me). Despite myself being calmer and enjoying the feeling of exploring new territory on my own accord, there are some things that are just lovely to share with another human.

#8 ·
Have you ever traveled alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Traveling alone is interesting. I've only done it a few times and in poor circumstances. There are aspects to it that I appreciate and find interesting, but for the most part, going places without my significant other is just wretchedly depressing and it's something I never want to do.

INTJ.

#9 ·
INTP. I would love to, and have planned on doing solo weekend trips a few times, but never really got around to it. Either my friends or boyfriend ended up coming with me, I found other plans, or my parents would bitch at me and tell me I shouldn't go. (I still live with them.)
Well, I'm only 19. There's plenty of time left to travel alone.

#11 ·
The first time I traveled alone was when I was 20 - so you have plenty of time :) it's a great experience .

Reactions: Amelia
#17 ·
I fantasize about it, to be a stranger to all and hold no social responsibility except the in-my-moment kind that I decide to hold on myself. My grandpa made 100s of friends because in his work he travelled a lot to find out about peoples family trees. I would like to make some sort of impAct through the travels as well, maybe writing books using strangers as characters, and scenery as inspiration. A bit like a traveling photographer except instead of photographs to capture a point in space-time it is written word. It would be beautiful to me so I think that's reason enough to do it. :)

Reactions: ai.tran.75
#20 ·
writing books using strangers as characters, and scenery as inspiration. A bit like a traveling photographer except instead of photographs to capture a point in space-time it is written word. It would be beautiful to me so I think that's reason enough to do it. :)
I can relate to the main reason I started traveling alone was to gain inspiration to write
- You should do a day trip to Portland/Victoria and people watch for books inspiration

Reactions: Purrfessor
#21 ·
That's pretty neat - any favorite destination ?

#19 ·
I travelled to Germany and Austria while I was attending a transfer program in Hungary. I knew I wanted to go alone so that I can plan things out exactly the way I want. I was actually tempted to join my friends to go to Salzburg together but decided against it. Not surprisingly they told me they just saw Mozart's birthplace without even entering there...precisely the place where I wanted to spend sizable amount of time on.

Particularly, the Germany trip came out to be one of the most meaningful trips. I got to visit one of the concentration camp sites (Sachsenhausen), and visited Berliner Philharmonie, the place I have longed to visit! :)

Hmm, a bit carried away there. So yes I did enjoy it, and am glad that I chose to go alone. Now that I am in a relauonship, I would love to travel with my SO once she moves closer to me. INFJ myself.

#22 ·
Kind of. I took a train from Seattle to Anihime once.

I had very over protective Grandparents. they had an older friend " baby sit" me when I was 22. :frustrating:

So you can imagine how much shit was lost when I told them I was going alone.

It was super easy since I have a lot of street smarts and I had a blast. I love trains.

#23 ·
Several times. The earliest one was when I was 12. Not knowing a single thing about how to get around and literally had to find my own way. As an INFJ, I swear I almost pissed my pants. That's what you get for having an ESFP mother who thinks everything is always all good. No problemo. Must thank her though. And I have grasped a bit about what Fi is like. Still alien to me.

INFJ

#24 ·
ENFJ. Yes! Just got back from a solo trip to the East Coast and I have done it before. It was fun, much less stressful than traveling with others and worrying about making everyone happy. It was great being able to make my own choices and plan my days, although being a single female in New York was a bit gropey, unfortunately. But I still loved it and would definitely take more trips alone in the future.

#30 ·
I remembered ! You mentioned it in the enfp forum :) glad you enjoy it , I think i may have to wait a few years until I start traveling alone again ( I have a 3 years and a 6 months old )

Reactions: NomadLeviathan
#29 ·
I'm sorry to hear, what about it that was so bad ? ( curious) - I've never been alone on holidays either :)

I started this thread bc I made an observation that strong Si users are less likely to travel alone .
I figure Inferior Ne likes familiarity and dislike the surprise unknown - so it's more likely they'll fantasize about it before stepping out
I first start noticing it with my friends and family members so I decide to see if it's type related or a coincidence -
Apparently my real life observation correlates with my online observation so far...

#33 ·
I often prefer to travel alone - I can go at my own pace instead of others, and I can take as little or as much time as I like exploring and experiencing the places I go. There's a kind of freedom that I feel when traveling alone that I appreciate and take in...Tho I do enjoy traveling with others too, and sometimes other people can really add to the adventure. Also, with other people brings more security, like spotting a con, or some other danger. I like traveling with people I know very well and am close with, but strangers and acquaintances I'm generally not so keen with.

ISFP.

#37 ·
I can be a bit nervous about getting lost or loosing track of my things or being taken advantage of because I'm gullible and small and a girl and tend to have 'little lost lamb' written all over my face.

However, it can be so nice to travel alone in that I don't have to worry about other people's impatience, I can stop and take pictures, I can get a snack or a cup of tea when and where I want, I can stop for the bathroom for the millionth time without feeling guilty about inconveniencing anyone, I can walk at my own pace and not be worried about loosing track of other people I'm supposed to be with - and have them get mad at me for it, I don't have to worry about being left behind.

I also enjoy just being lost in my own thoughts, not feeling like I have to keep anyone else entertained or pay attention to whatever they want me to. I like the freedom of being on my own schedule, making my own choices, and enjoying my own company.

And another interesting thing is that when you're with people you already know there tend to be patterns of interaction you fall into with eachother, but meeting new people without anyone else around having previous expectations and impressions of you can feel like having a new chance to really be yourself, it's very freeing.

#39 ·
I travelled alone for the first time just a few weeks ago.

At first I was nervous, and a little bit concerned that I would be bored, but in all honesty I loved it. Travelling alone as opposed to with someone else gives you all the freedom you could want. Want to go check things out? Fine, just go. Want to take it easy for the day? Fine just do it.

I think the reason why some people might be nervous about it is that they might feel self concious travelling alone thinking that people must be thinking "hey, look at that loner!" The reality is, nobody really cares and when they see you alone I found that they were very inclined to talk to me. I found it especially fun to go out to a pub at night by myself, because I met a lot of interesting people. I had fun! :happy:

Reactions: Aelthwyn
#41 ·
Traveling alone can be quite nice. You can do the things that you want to without having to worry about the other person or other people. For example, if I wanted to spend the day just sitting near the water, I can enjoy doing that; I realize this might be boring for another person, and they may not want to do that.

You can also meet lots of foreign people if you're alone. People are more likely to speak with you when you're alone than in a large pack of people.

INTP.

#42 ·
You can also meet lots of foreign people if you're alone. People are more likely to speak with you when you're alone than in a large pack of people.
This is both a blessing and a curse. It's nice to have the chance to meet new people if you want to, but sometimes I hate the way that being alone seems to act like an advertisement to people proclaiming that I want company... when i really don't. I suppose part of the problem for me is that somehow I always attract the crazies... when I'm walking around alone it seems almost inevitable that I'll get cornered by one of those 'ramblers' who will talk anybody's ear off and doesn't pick up on the social cues that the other person really wants to go now - and a lot of times the ones that lock onto me are not quiiiiite all there in the head.... It's kind of unnerving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.