Personality Cafe banner

How many other INFJs have you encountered (that you are aware of)?

• None, aside from me.

Votes: 10 20.8%

Votes: 9 18.8%

Votes: 16 33.3%

Votes: 3 6.3%

Votes: 2 4.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5!

Votes: 8 16.7%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there INFJ typed people,

Given the reports of your relatively rarity,

How many other INFJs have you encountered that you are aware of?

Poll time.

You can also discuss the nature and pros and cons of said relative rarity here if you wish.

As to the degree of confidence that they are INFJs... maybe convert them into percentages of how sure you are, then add them all up then round up to the closest whole number? Or whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I seem to know lots...one in his 40s at my church, two women in their 60s at my work with who I think are INFJ (they're teachers), and then at a summer job I had a crush on a guy my own age who seemed INFJ to me. I also know two girls who have taken the personality test and got INFJ results, one my age and the other younger. That would be six total.

Oh yeah, and maybe a counselor and some members of a family I once worked for, one of them was a psychiatrist, and she and her son both seemed INFJ.

Now there are nine. Haha.

Of course, some of them may have been another personality type. I'm basing my typing on the things like empathy, the vibes I got, the eyes, etc. Some of them seemed overall more weird to me, and these are the ones I think without a doubt were INFJ. They could be calm on the outside, but occasionally I saw the strong emotions underneath. They also had eyes that seemed to express a lot. These were the ones who really fascinated me and I would stare at whenever I could. Their eyes and presence seemed to communicate things that I liked to read.

Others seemed a lot more subdued, and this was less interesting. The INFJness seemed more shrouded, but I still think they might have been INFJ. Or maybe not.

·
Registered
620 Posts
3, not including the one related to me.

Very disarming, unsettling people without saying or doing anything at all, with a very clearly cut presence. Sometimes eye contact with them made my brain go !!! even though they were just turning to listen to some random shit I was saying.

Ni in the first position is as unusual to encounter for me as it is everyone else, I'm starting to realize things about how people perceive me and some of my behavior.
I met all three through my ENFJ friend, there's some funny magnetism going on there.

INTJs I've found have been similarly disarming but in a constant 'looks totally pissed' way, but they aren't. INxJs can sometimes just stare at each other right in the eyes for extended periods for no reason and it's not awkward, I've read someone else saying that before also. It's like Ni-Ni death stare nullification or something.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I try to avoid typing people as much as possible, but I do have a tendency to bring up the MBTI system around people that have majored in Psychology.

So far, two people have mentioned being INFJ's as well. At first I was all excited and really interested in them, but to be honest I felt as if there was this perpetual wall, or maybe guard up, that didn't allow any sort of chemistry or connection whatsoever. I'm sure in time and with different methods, I could do it, but it came to a point where I was like "why bother?"

Sometimes I get similar feelings around the community as a whole on the INFJ forums as well. Everyone seems fairly open to sharing thoughts or opinions, but you still sense a guard is up that limits or prevents intermingling -- hey, I'm guilty as well though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
at least seven are in my mind, could be more if i bothered to browse. and wow, im surpriced other fellas have seen so little of us, i mean, in my life infj is one of the most common types. theres also one i suspect as an infj but didnt have enough time with to gather evidence.
perhaps the only two other types ive encountered alot are isfp's and entp's. esfp's are very common too, but not that interesting. talking with them feels like im blind folded, and its scary.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Other female underground musicians, 3 that I can remember did an MBTI test going around my social media and tested INFJ. Before that I just thought they were the ones of the musicians I knew whose work was the most interesting. They all have a very I would say 'mysterious' aura about them (I don't mean a literal aura, just a vibe). They're all pretty astounding as artists and charismatic in a strange, alluring, curious way. ...it's funny looking at it from the outside. lol. They probably don't feel that mysterious themselves, but yeah... My stepmom I'm not sure if she's an ENFJ or INFJ. I would guess perhaps a more reserved ENFJ. One guy I think could very well be an INFJ that I used to play shows with. Two male teachers that, in retrospect, could very well be INFJs. Both taught religious studies.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
7 friends that I am absolutely certain about. (...I know a lot of people though...)
My dad and grandfather are both INFJs. So that's another 2.
4 teachers that I'm 90% sure about.

I made another post once about this, tallying up how many, and i feel like i'm forgetting some that are one that list...
I go to an art school, though, and NFs are dense there, so I wouldn't expect this to be the average. I'm also very social.

That's 13, then, that I can come up with off the top of my head. I have been very careful about determining it as well, so I'm not just flinging the title about at every potentially-INFJ person I see.

cons-- you have no idea what they REALLY think of you sometimes o_O. They're tough to get close to. I was roommates with one for a year and definitely felt like she was still foreign to me, despite knowing that we loved each other lol. They're hard to keep tabs on. As teachers, they take too long to get a point across. As friends, I feel like I have to stand up for them because they won't do it themselves. Can be scarily critical at points, depending on the INFJ. I have a really hard time knowing what they want/expect from me. Conversation can get awkward if you're not close to them, or boring if you run out of things to talk about.

pros-- sooooo caring, so accepting. Often intriguing. Make me feel less...odd for being the silent watcher in the background. Adorable (the young ones at least xD). Skilled/intelligent. Concepts that make sense to me tend to make sense to them. Good listeners. Give me enough space. As teachers, they try to see all sides of things, which is nice, and are generally really concerned with giving you your best shot.

I feel so much more extroverted than all of my real-life INFJs >.<, and yet INFJ is the only thing I could possibly be. hmmmm :unsure:. I wonder if they feel similarly...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Still kinda new to the whole thing, although I've been reading a ton just to try to get a grip on my own head...so busy trying to figure myself out that I don't even know that I'd be able to put the time in to figure anyone else's type out.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'd like to say three but I'm not sure if I'm correct. I keep telling myself if they are an INFJ I will just know, and base it off of the same traits I sort of carry. For example: distance and humanitarianism, or even the walking contradiction thing. The hardest point I need to read into is, "Well how do I really know their cognitive functions if I hardly see them or talk to them?" Most of the time I brush off that because I keep saying I've known them for a good amount of time so I've gotten a good idea of who they are as a person. But the people in my life hardly knows me, yknow? I come off as a really social person to the few friends I have and if I don't consider them close they know absolutely nothing about my character aside from my interests. So maybe they think I'm an extrovert? What if those introverts I assume are an INFJ are just not in the mood to be around someone like me rather than the idea that they need to "recharge"? What if they are simply an INTJ? Arghh whoo knows.

What if my judgement is superficial and I'm just trying to cope with feeling "alone" and being rare. As much as most people would die to hear they have a rare personality type it ultimately makes me feel like no one will ever get me.

Sorry! I just started to rant. I should have just deleted all of this rambling but I feel like a lot of people should think about it a little bit more. I want to believe we aren't rare, because what if it's just due to the fact that an INFJ just doesn't care to invest their time to figuring themselves out. They probably just "know" they are different and accept just that. Unfortunately because of the statistic I can't really claim I'm 100% right because then it's just too strange for me to be associated with not just 1 other INFJ, but three?

Hmm....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How do I know so many more than you guys??? :frustrating:

13 is a lot, but I've considered and reconsidered...and I really don't think I'm wrong...but...I guess I'm letting my 4 feel out of place. Shut up 4 xP. Go back inside :unsure:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of circles you move on. For me a lot of the INFJs I know come from meeting teachers and being around counselors/medical people. I honestly think INFJs are drawn to those kinds of careers.

People say a lot of INFJs are librarians, and this may be true, but for me a library always felt a little too removed from people. I like to be around them. Granted, I prefer individuals and small groups to crowds, but still--I like people better than DDC numbers.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I think I encountered one a couple of weeks ago. I was in a huge park with friends taking photographs and a little dog started running after us to play. I looked around for the dog's owner and there she was... Sitting under a tree in the shade by herself, letting her dog have a wander around. I watched her watch us briefly before continuing on with my friends. It was like her dog was extroverted on her behalf.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I do better at 'feeling' someone than typing them in all honesty. I don't believe I know any other INFJ's other than the ones I am meeting here. However, to put that into perspective, I am fairly asocial really because I get drained too easily; my social circles are very, very small. The majority of my acquaintances are all E's - takes the burden of carrying the social interaction off of me and allows me to sit back and watch. They all want to go-go-go all of the time, and I am an avid homebody. My best friend is an ISTJ and my next closest friend may be an INFJ, but I think she is more an INFP or even an ISFP, since she is closely attuned to the physical world in a concrete manner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts