Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I have no thumbs

Votes: 11 40.7%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around the time, I first registered at PerCafe, I accidentally found a thread in the INTP forum that I just loved.

I laughed and laughed and laughed... through it all. (2010)

http://personalitycafe.com/intp-for...many-pets-plants-have-you-killed-already.html

I didn't laugh about the "animal stuff"............. but about the green plants dying, OMG -- :eek:h:

So, you INFPS: I am so curious -- what is your experience with living plants?

I'm looking to see if there is some sorta pattern here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My family and I are super into botany and landscaping. Though we are much better off dealing with things that are a bit easier to keep alive. We have tons of different cacti through our house. We also plant tons of different trees outside; willows, pine, etc etc. There's also tons of butterfly bushes and lavender to attract the obvious butterflies as well as dragonflies

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I am not good with plants at all. This reminds me to water the succulents I have on my patio. I have one that is sort of biggish that I really should re-pot and break apart but I know in my heart it is never gonna happen. I think of the 4 succulents I started in pots on my patio, two of them are dead. I never weed the little weeds that grow in the pots because I see it as signs of life and am hopeful for them.

I remember starting them because a therapist told me that it would be good for me to have something to care for during a bad time in my life. That was the one I never clicked with and she was full of all sorts of bad advice. She was sort of right with the caring fo thing but the answer was not plants. I forget that they are there and it gets really hot in the summer and they just don't do well in those conditions.

I do have some lucky bamboo in my kitchen that I do ok with because for some reason it only grows in water and doesn't need much else. Some of those have turned yellow and died but not all of them. I usually replace them when I can find it at the swap meet.

I am much better with pets than plants.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
Once upon a time, Young ButIHaveNoFear lifted the lid to her sandbox and found a single blade of Bermuda grass growing in the dark. Its only leaf was bent over at a 90 degree angle.

Young ButIHaveNoFear felt pity for this plant, and she scooped up the plant and sand in a small paper cup. She placed the plant in her bedroom window and watered the sand whenever it began to dry out. She named the plant Bella.

One day a new stem began to sprout from Bella. It got so big and strong and leafy from ButIHaveNoFear's care. But she was angry at this new stem. She liked Bella's original look and hated how ugly and wild this new stem was. In her mind, Bella was under attack.

ButIHaveNoFear began to withhold water from the plant in the hopes that the new stem would fall off, but it did not. One day ButIHaveNoFear's dad asked her why there was a dying weed growing in her window. ButIHaveNoFear crossly told him the whole story, and he made no comment. ButIHaveNoFear's dad is a good parent.

After a while, the whole plant died. In rage and sadness over the loss of Bella, Young ButIHaveNoFear hacked off all the leaves and stems one by one with a pair of scissors. Then she angrily threw the remains in the trash.

Young ButIHaveNoFear later raised 4 healthy maple trees that live in her grandparents' yard. (She hoped that her parents would let her plant at least one of the trees in her backyard, but the answer was always no.) The trees are large and leafy, with trunks as big as thighs.

------

Nowadays I have an 8-10 year old king sago palm that I grew since it was a baby. It is very hardy. Perhaps in a few more years it will be an adult. I have a system where I leave it outside when the weather is warm, and I take it inside during the winter. It likes full sun or else the leaves grow very poorly. I gave it the biggest plant pot I could find, and now that I have an aquarium, I water it with the nutrient-rich aquarium water. If you have a big, sunny window and can remember to water a plant every week, I recommend this type of plant!

I also have a couple of aquatic plants in my aquarium. You just have to find the type of plant that's right for you. It's not a priority in my life to have some stupid delicate plant. I like hardy plants, especially plants that can deal with the natural climate. I like perennial flowers that come from bulbs.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I put brown thumb. I've only owned 3 plants, 2 Venus fly traps that were cool when I was a kid and promptly died due to lack of attention and inappropriate watering times (as well as feeding them dead flies off the windowsill, not sure that actually helped) and a smallish succulent cactus, one that looked mostly like this but with flat tops and bottoms: http://www.stoneycreekcacti.net/uploads/2/2/8/9/22890122/9468332.jpg?527

I bought that cactus when I was about 9 and it's just grown constantly with literally no attention since, which is why it's my favourite type of plant. It badly needs to be put into the ground since it's overgrown its pot.

Other than that I have a weird habit ever since I was a child of picking bits of interesting plants off as I go past and looking at them for a second, a habit which didn't earn me respect from my teacher at the time.

I remember starting them because a therapist told me that it would be good for me to have something to care for during a bad time in my life. That was the one I never clicked with and she was full of all sorts of bad advice. She was sort of right with the caring for thing but the answer was not plants.
Yeesh I know just what you mean about bad advice and that sounds like a type of therapist who would just be full of these well intentioned but completely generic advices, who doesn't have anything for you specifically.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Green thumb right here, but obvsly I've killed many plants along the way. I've owned.. I don't know... maybe 300 plants in my lifetime, maybe more, and I might've killed about a dozen or so. It gets easier after you learn, ofc. Most of the killings happened back in my teens and early 20s.
In 2017 I acquired 13 new plants and killed 1. In 2016 acquired 20 new, killed 2.
I'm into reproduction so I enjoy multiplying my plants and then giving them away to family members. If I kept all the plants I reproduced I would need to buy a castle to store everything :/

At this moment I have 27 plants indoors, and 35 out in the garden area thingy. Since it's winter, I haven't yet bought anything new, last new thing I bought was seven months ago at the beginning of summer. When spring gets stronger, there's stuff I need to buy. I also need to clean up the plants that are hibernating at the moment, such as the strawberry bush, cause once warmer weather comes it wakes up and goes crazy and starts birthing berries and the tentacles go everywhere.

There are certain plants that I grow from seeds every spring and die every november, such as pumpkins. For some reason I've never been able to get any to stay alive past a winter. I always have to germinate the seeds over and over and over every March. Maybe some day I'll figure it out.

As for the types of plants I like/have...
* Edibles are my priority because I cook a lot and I use the herbs and fruits from my garden (I have a lemon tree, an orange tree, a bay leaf tree (sp?), rosemary, thyme, strawberries, various types of mint, parsley, asparagus, etc etc)
* Edibles to make teas (lavender, marigold/calendula, stevia, sage, fennel, etc etc)
* Ornamental I have lots of pothos, bonsais, ivy, bouganvilla, dracenas, ferns, ficus, and others, it's endless. As for cactus I have 1, I'm not a fan of cactus because they need nothing from me, and I like being needed (apparently I'm very motherly LOL). The ornamentals are the ones I'm always giving away to family.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I went out to water my plants because this thread reminded me to and this is what they look like:

plants.jpg

The large one in the back is barely alive, it has a few leaves at the top. The one next to it is the one I will never get around to repotting and the other three are just plain dead or weeds. I watered the dead one a bit before I realized it was dead.

·
Retired Administrator
16,200 Posts
I like to call my garden "Darwin's Garden" b/c it's kind of a struggle to survive out there. I actually have a chicken that gets free run of the garden too--she's like 10 years old, so pretty old for a chicken, and she still lays eggs somehow. But so she adds an extra challenge for anything trying to grow.

So a lot of plants have died--some I can keep alive better, but it helps if things are set up so that watering is easy. Just putting them in a slightly different place can have a big impact on how much they get.

I have a couple plants right next to the water dispenser, so those ones have it pretty good as I always throw my old water from a cup in them.

Drip lines and timed watering would make a world of difference for any outdoor plants. I do tend to drain my washing machine water as well as have a pump for bathwater, so I put all the plants in the area where I can just leave the hose to drain, which allows them a somewhat constant amount of water.

Edit:
@ButIHaveNoFear

I can't post images from my computer in VM, so here's a picture of my chicken when she was a baby (she's what is called an 'Easter Egg' chicken, due to her laying green eggs--basically a cross between Araucana and Leghorn...she's spunky and independent, and very old!:

View attachment 766978

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before I read your message, I looked at the picture and thought to myself "Wow, those plants look good!"

Shows you what I know.

:happy:

I thought "Oh look an aloe vera plant!"

Okay, guess I should tell "my story":

1. When I moved in with husband (92'), he had all these beautiful plants around the house. Just my physical presence, just me. being me. and in the home, killed every single one of his plants, within 2 years.

2. We have been given about 20 other plants, as gifts, through the years. Even cactus. All gone and in the dump. I even killed a cactus. I killed an "air plant". An air plant is supposed to live off of air and nothing else. It turned brown.

3. I believe I just have a bad plant energy, or I water too much, or I water not enough, or the plants just don't like watching what goes on in our home and they decide to cross over to a "better place". In 2017, husband bought a beautiful tropical fern/bamboo type plant at ace hardware, it was about 6' tall. It took 6 months, and we tried, we researched, but it is also gone. Ded. No more breathing. This parrot has ceased to exist.

4. My Garden: When I leave my home, on occasion, to get some really good sun and oxygen, I play in the dirt, to the side of our home and I plant seeds, gladiolus, tomatoes, eggplant, carrots, peas, chilies, cucumbers and zucchini. I am able to make these plants grow, surprise of all surprises. I think the plants just know they are fruit/vegetable bearing plants and they are trying really, really hard for me. I like to eat and they must pick up on this. I can hear the plants say "We are helpers and we are going to help you, by eating delicious healthy foods." The gladiolus I planted in 1995, have been blooming every single year, all the way to 2017. I recommend gladiolus to anyone with a brown thumb. I do not even water them. I don't think I have ever watered them.

I guess in conclusion, yes, I do believe plants can sense "energies". I think of experiments (it's a pdf download if you click) where positive energy or prayer was sent the way of plants, and they grew better and stronger. Quantum entanglement - particles play on each other, even when apart. When apart? Yikes! Positive energy plays on the plants possibly?

I'm not proud, at all, of all these dead plants on my hands. It's not like I decided "I'm going to buy you and then I am going to kill you".... some I did neglect, sure, but some I may have over-watered, over-loved, or not given enough light.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think deep down my delight with the INTP thread was due to my own failures.​

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Remember what we eat.

Vegetables, fruits.

I don't give a fuck about plants, but i'm also not ruining plants on purpose if i don't have to.

Reactions: Sily

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
I simply love plants/botany/gardening/herps, as a pass time (!) - Currently - have 30+ orchids, bonsai's, bromeliads, air plants, planted terrariums - aquatic plants, semi-aquatic plants, bamboo, 4 rose bush species, hibiscus', (2) vegetable gardens, 1 fruit garden (mostly melons), 1 shade garden, 1 sun garden, 1 spice garden, 2 growing cultures, a greenhouse, and some other plant(s) that would take up too much space naming -- I will soon begin growing moss species.

I have killed quite a few; in fact, torched around 10 plant(s) within my greenhouse by mistake when I were first getting started. Currently, I haven't the [space] for a large greenhouse locality, but I plan to in the future. Many grow well under LED's/incubation chamber(s) to replace no substantially large greenhouse spacing. Some I utilize, but most I end up giving away - I am more intrigued by the maintanence/growing/aesthetic process.

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,500 Posts
I haven't killed any...but I tried to plant an apple tree with some apple seeds when I was in first grade...it never sprouted. :( I was upset, because I had a giant weed in my backyard (like...eight feet high).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
3. I believe I just have a bad plant energy, or I water too much, or I water not enough, or the plants just don't like watching what goes on in our home and they decide to cross over to a "better place". In 2017, husband bought a beautiful tropical fern/bamboo type plant at ace hardware, it was about 6' tall. It took 6 months, and we tried, we researched, but it is also gone. Ded. No more breathing. This parrot has ceased to exist.
Oh yesssss.............. best paragraph everrrrrr.....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don’t kill plants. Some will always die, of course. But I do what I can for them. I have inherited other people’s dying plants and nursed them back to health (too much water is the biggest killer of house plants btw).

My outside plants are prolific baby-makers. I need some plant birth control. Maybe somebody just needs to talk to them, tell them to wait for the right partner and not to just pop out babies to feel loved. I have too many. I hate thinning them. I feel bad for them. They are just trying to live their lives. Who am I to say who lives and who dies? They look so content. Such initiative, growing from under that rock! Such determination, surviving that drought. I can’t kill them. (Weeds I have no problem killing).

I build cages around the ones the critters try to eat. Cloches, or odd combinations of tomato cages wrapped in netting or wire.

I move the self-starters out of beds where they don’t belong into beds where they can be tolerated.

I can’t help myself. I guess I envision them with feelings and desires. I know that this is not literally true, but I still feel sad when they don’t make it.

·
INFP
6,288 Posts
Sometimes think there is a curse on me, that almost no plants can survice for long in my vincinity. Once I got an extra large pot, eventhough I didn't have much money, and planted several different little plants in it, can't remember which ones it was now, but not very difficult things I think, and it all just rotted from the bottom up, like from a spell, we replanted things, and same thing happened again. When we were moving and were gonna though out the soil, I pulled up the knitting stick I had put in there as support for a plant, and it had turned into some kind of chrystallike metally substance, most likely poisonous. When i was little i had a little greenhouse to put in the window, and had three cacti in it, and tried to make a little landscape therewith sand and stones, but one after another all of they all died. All wines(?) I have ever had has gotten those microscopic spiders spinning net around the plant. if not the spiders, then lice, if not lice, then slugs, if not slugs then earth... bugs of some kind that eat roots, if not those then rolley poleys(?)(not supposed to kill plants but that garden was so extremely infested with them), and if not that then too much water, or more likely, too little. Or little sun(winter).

The last plant to die I think was the orchid, that was 2 years though, but never got new flowers, so it is not completely hopeless anymore. I managed to keep some roses for over a year too once, but usually the just live a few weeks (I think it was because our house was so very cold in the winter the time they survived, and roses want seasons). I can often keep spiderplant alive as well, and I have a twoyearold catnip that i thought was dead but which has sprouted again.

Last year we planted ruccola salad, and it started to sprout nicely, but then one morning when going out to water, there was a silvery streak along the line where the sallad had been planted, and I imagined how the slug had found the salad and happily eaten it for breakfast like a packman, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew... we didn't give up, and replanted... same thing happened. The slugs also ate half the leaves of the potatoeplant(poisonous and in a pot), some of the tomatoleaves and half a tomato(also potted, and standing on gravel which they tend to not want to cross), all the squash, all the carrots, all the beets, the spices and the flowers of the peas. For some reason they left the other kind of sallad, it must be something about it they don't like.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Edit:
@ButIHaveNoFear

I can't post images from my computer in VM, so here's a picture of my chicken when she was a baby (she's what is called an 'Easter Egg' chicken, due to her laying green eggs--basically a cross between Araucana and Leghorn...she's spunky and independent, and very old!:

View attachment 766970
She's so pretty!! I can see the spunk in her eye!

Reactions: WickerDeer
1 - 20 of 46 Posts