Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually a multiple-part question, apologies:

1. How much time do you spend reflecting? Do you journal?
  2. Do you enjoy reading articles about self-development/improvement? (Organisation, exercise, personal philosophy, etc - anything that counts as "improving" your character or life.)
  3. Are you a goal-setter?
  4. Are you a perfectionist?
  5. Do you use some sort of tracking system to document your progress? How much detail do you record?
  6. Do you like to read about other people's lives and personal journeys, such as memoirs, biographies and personal essays?
  7. Do you collect quotes? If so, what sort of quotes?

And finally: What do you attribute these behaviours to? Innate personality, upbringing, or something else?

I'm curious to see if this is an ISTJ thing, an Enneagram type 1 thing, or something completely unrelated to personality type and more to do with upbringing. I don't know anybody else (outside of the internet) who is as interested in this as I am, which I've always found strange as I think that each individual's primary duty in life is to be the best they can possibly be, so that they can best contribute to the world - yet very few people seem to share this outlook, which bewilders me.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
@AlistairB

I have nothing to do (I lie, I have shit-tons to do, yet I'm too lazy atm), so I'll answer your questions.

1. I think about my actions, what I did right and what I did wrong, all the time. I use this to better myself for future interactions.
2. Yes. I try to be the best person I can, so I chew through articles like that.
3. Yes, mainly long-term though. I cannot function if I don't have a goal to work towards.
4. Yes. I want the best possible result, so I put in that extra bit of work to increase the quality.
5. No. Too much work.
6. No.
7. No.

Te, I guess. Everything revolves around maximizing results.

I want to be the best person I can be, but I don't give two shits about contributing to the world. All it has given me is hardship, so I can't say I'm thankful for being here.

·
Registered
SLI, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
1. How much time do you spend reflecting? Do you journal?
Reflecting about myself? Not much. I spend more time reflecting about things and events that are happening around me, than thinking about myself and my actions.
I kept journal in school. It was interesting, but guess the idea isn't as interesting to me as it once was.

2. Do you enjoy reading articles about self-development/improvement? (Organisation, exercise, personal philosophy, etc - anything that counts as "improving" your character or life.)
Not so much about self-improvement exactly, but I like to read articles about how things work (scientific, cultural, political and different other themes) and on the basis of this information think about what and how I can/will change or improve myself.

3. Are you a goal-setter?
Yes. As long as the goal interests me I'm all in.

Are you a perfectionist?
Yes and
it is as much blessing as it is curse. Sometimes I just badly want my inner critic to shut up and stop feeding me another unrealistic agenda.

5. Do you use some sort of tracking system to document your progress? How much detail do you record?
No.

6. Do you like to read about other people's lives and personal journeys, such as memoirs, biographies and personal essays?
Yes, but only about personalities I'm interested in. I'm not a fan of
memoirs and biographies per se.

7. Do you collect quotes? If so, what sort of quotes?
Nope.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
How much time do you spend reflecting? Do you journal?
On the immediate past, yes... mainly as a post-mortem on a project to see what could have been improved in the process. Rarely, if ever, do I reflect back on longer arcs of my life. I've never kept a journal or diary of any type.

Do you enjoy reading articles about self-development/improvement? (Organisation, exercise, personal philosophy, etc - anything that counts as "improving" your character or life.)
No... Unless PerC counts.

Are you a goal-setter?
Not so much.

Are you a perfectionist?
Unfortunately, yes. It's often very difficult for me to determine when good enough is good enough. I tend to review, tweak and re-review continuously instead of moving on. [e.g., I think this is my eighth revision to this post.]

Do you use some sort of tracking system to document your progress? How much detail do you record?
No.

Do you like to read about other people's lives and personal journeys, such as memoirs, biographies and personal essays?
No, not really. The exception might be my interest in the thought processes behind some of the great scientific and technological advances.

Do you collect quotes? If so, what sort of quotes?
Just the occasional one that makes a point in a humorous way. Definitely not any of the typical "inspirational" drivel. When I see that stuff, more often than not I think, "Who the hell buys into this crap?"

And finally: What do you attribute these behaviours to? Innate personality, upbringing, or something else?
No single specific thing... but a combination of personality (preference) and upbringing (values).

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
  1. Not as much as everyone else seems to think I should. I really don't want to fall into the "what if" game of things that could have happened if I'd done X, Y, Z and fall into some mired pit of wallowing regret. I don't journal, either.
  2. Yes. I like reading articles about exercise that are realistic. I don't like articles about exercise that are meant for some 20-year-old that weighs 100 lbs. I'm over twice that age and I know my limitations, but I still like to be active.
  3. If it is something that I am interested in, then yes. I have moderate exercise goals that I try to reach every week.
  4. You have no idea. -_-
  5. Yes... I write my exercise down in a log, OG style.
  6. No.
  7. No.

FWIW, I'm an E1 so I don't think this is type-related.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quite frequently. I do journal everyday or whenever possible.

Do you enjoy reading articles about self-development/improvement? (Organisation, exercise, personal philosophy, etc - anything that counts as "improving" your character or life.)

I do, I'm very big on finding little ways to improve myself academically, physically, socially, spiritually and mentally, not because I want be better than anyone but to see how far I can potentially be.

Are you a goal-setter?

Yeah, but I'm terrible at it. =/

Are you a perfectionist?

I used to be extreme at perfectionism. Now I'm cutting it down, but I still have my moments.

Do you use some sort of tracking system to document your progress? How much detail do you record?

No but I should. Contrary to most ISTJ's here, I'm not actually good at keeping track of time.

Do you like to read about other people's lives and personal journeys, such as memoirs, biographies and personal essays?

Love those stories to death, so yes. I'm looking into Abraham Lincoln's biography at the moment.

I do collect quotes. They're generally about life and motivation, be that for exercise or for life in general.

Both personality and upbringing. In my case it's kinda more upbringing but the personality influence is still there.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Almost all of the time I spend awake I spend reflecting on life. If I'm not working/writing and learning I'm reflecting. I do not journal though sadly.

More so philosophy but not organization/exercise. I know the basics of those two subjects to get the jist of what I need.

Are you a goal-setter?
Very much so.

Are you a perfectionist?
Very much so. If you cant do it correctly the first time' don't do it at all to begin with.

Nope. Never worried about recording what go's on in my head/life.

I do actually! I love seeing how others rationalize the world.

Noo. I do enjoy reading them though on occasion' they're mostly artist/musician quotes on how they find beauty in the world.

Mostly innate personality for the obsessive compulsive habits, the rest is upbringing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
]1.How much time do you spend reflecting? Do you journal? Usually at the end of the day before I turn in for the night. I keep a journal but I have to admit that I have not been writing in it on a weekly basis like I use to.

2.Do you enjoy reading articles about self-development/improvement? (Organisation, exercise, personal philosophy, etc - anything that counts as "improving" your character or life.) Sometimes. If there is an area in my life that I need to improve on such as a better relationship with my adult daughters, then I will look up articles via bookstore or internet.

3.Are you a goal-setter? Absolutely

4.Are you a perfectionist? Good God, no! I know my limitations.

5.Do you use some sort of tracking system to document your progress? No. How much detail do you record? It depends.

6.Do you like to read about other people's lives and personal journeys, such as memoirs, biographies and personal essays? Oh, yes. Especially the ones where they overcome hardships or obstacles in life. Those kind of books inspires me
7.Do you collect quotes? No. If so, what sort of quotes? N/A

And finally: What do you attribute these behaviours to? Innate personality, upbringing, or something else? I will have to go with innate personality. For me, there's no rhyme or reason to why I do the things I do. :happy:
[/

Reactions: Sangmu

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd say I'm reflecting constantly, though it's often subconscious processing, which I don't know if that's included in your definition. Beyond the subconscious, it's still frequently, I go over recent events once of twice to ensure I've got as much as possible from them. I don't focus so much on what I would do differently in a negative manner, it's more positive, like "what did I learn there?" and looking forward to improve next time.

I don't journal though.

I can do, yes. Reading is usually a means to an end to me (to gain information, new perspectives etc). I'm very driven by improvement and that's the reason I read about personality types and the like. I see it as a way of self-improvement. I don't read so much on exercise and diets and physical improvements, but I do enjoy reading about more mental improvements and ways to put it into action.

Are you a goal-setter?
I used to set more goals when I was younger, but was perhaps over-ambitious and they were too far in the future. I often found myself disappointed as a consequence when things didn't quite work out as I expected even if I reached the goal itself. I still have goals but I tend to be more short-term about them now which keeps them more realistic.

Are you a perfectionist?
Guilty as charged.

No, progress is recorded in my head, mostly during the reflecting periods. Detail therefore tends to be as much as the brain can hold :p

I do enjoy biographies, though I prefer autobiographies even more so, namely because I enjoy seeing people's perspectives on their own experiences rather than observations from a separate observer (I can do that part myself ;)). I've no real interest in the gossip column information on 'other people's lives' though - they're just snippets of random information with no depth to the whys and wheres.

I do love a good quote. There's some examples in the spoiler tag below of some of my favourites. Anything that I relate to or that makes me smile is the general rule of thumb.

"To be a geek is to be human, because being a geek means you're passionate about something. And I'd rather be passionate about something than apathetic about everything." - Masi Oka

"I am a professional... but I am also a human being... and the values I have in my life are stronger than many other people's desire to influence or destroy those values." - Ayrton Senna da Silva

"If tobacco advertising is so powerful that it makes people start smoking when they see a sign, we should put up another sign saying "If you smoke you'll die"." - Bernie Ecclestone

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less." - Marie Curie

“The achievement of Armstrong and his colleagues remains perhaps the single most iconic triumph of scientific ambition, against all odds, that the world has seen. It was, and is still, truly inspiring. It certainly inspired me. In 1969, when Armstrong took that famous ‘one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind’, I was a 22-year-old motor racing technician. But Armstrong showed me, and many others like me, that in our own small way we could also dare to try – and ‘dare to try’ remains a McLaren mantra to this day.” - Ron Dennis

"I suppose I was aware of not being fake. I just didn't want there to be anything fake about what we do. And I'm prepared to be unfashionable." - Neil Finn

I'm curious to see if this is an ISTJ thing, an Enneagram type 1 thing, or something completely unrelated to personality type and more to do with upbringing. I don't know anybody else (outside of the internet) who is as interested in this as I am, which I've always found strange as I think that each individual's primary duty in life is to be the best they can possibly be, so that they can best contribute to the world - yet very few people seem to share this outlook, which bewilders me.
I think it's both nature and nurture, like most things are. We are products of our previous experiences, but we make our decisions based on innate personality.

I'm also Enneagram Type 1, and I genuinely believe that it's important in life to be the best you possibly can be. Although I remember a lot as a child that you were always encouraged to make sure you tried your best, so I'm not sure if it's something innate or some sort of doctrine I just happened to latch on to!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts