Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my honest opinion, its very nice to know, even insightful in many cases but how much of your type is true to your actual self?

My case as an example, im an "ENFP" and every description of it are facets of myself but I attribute that more to the combination of being left-handed and as much as I hate to admit it.......my Chinese and western zodiac (astrological) signs, these being "Earth Dragon" and "Cancer". I did not believe in astrology a single droplet until I actually read my descriptions and did a little research on the matter (you may be surprised with what you find.......). Both in conjunction described my personality to a T; right down to my infatuation with coordination of (vibrant) colors within my dress code, to even my extremely high level of empathy.

So I ask the "cafe" this; whats your take on this matter? Its all very intriguing to me.......any input would very much appreciated!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I definitely put more weight on the MBTI than on astrology...

If you look at the profile description, it isn't very accurate, but the jungian functions make sense.
It's only a tool, but I think it's a good one.

As for being accurate to my "actual self", I have no idea. If the theory tried to explain everything about me, I would assume it was a pile of bullshit.

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
The purpose of these exercises is to learn more about yourself and others and have a common language with which to discuss personality. Function orders/functional preferences aren't real, nor are Keirsey's temperaments etc. These are just simplistic constructs that we use to learn more about ourselves.

With regards to Astrology and the like, is it a coincidence that those for whom astrological theory does not effective describe their personality do not like astrology and vice versa? Regardless of its predictivity, it does indeed serve a similar purpose.

·
Registered
140 Posts
MBTI types do seem to work but all of them are very generalized to a certain extent.

Each individual is unique, and although I've been tested as an ENFP for several different tests over the past 4ish years, there are still some parts of the ENFP description that I don't attribute to ourself. :) We all have different, varying levels of cognitive functions and personalities. Just as no two people are the same, it's very difficult to sort people out into only 16 types... however, MBTI should give a somewhat accurate, albeit rather rough, sketch of what a person is like.

I do love MBTI quite a bit. As for astrology, though, I don't know much / look into that kind of stuff... but I am an Aries born in the year of the pig, haha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you look at the profile description, it isn't very accurate, but the jungian functions make sense.
It's only a tool, but I think it's a good one.
Agreed. The functions are far more useful than the descriptions. Context is everything, and the MBTI is simply a framework to be receptive to insights in a given context.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I think I once read that all horoscopes are written in a way where you can relate to almost all of them to some extent.

I'm told I'm a saggitarius or capricorn (born january 14) yet I identify with both except for a couple of small tidbits here and there.

I place very little faith in myers briggs personality typing because everyone here is so mistyped and all the stereotypes overlap or make it difficult to see the TRUE personality for what it actually is.

Part of the reason I like socionics so much is because its far less stereotyped and much much less ambiguous. It describes how your brain is programmed as if it were a machine as opposed to what kind of surface interests you exude according to MBTI.

example:
socionics would say something like: "ambiguity angers you"
MBTI would say something like: "you probably like motorcycles and skydiving"

·
Registered
398 Posts
I studied this stuff for a year, but once I got out there and socialize, I realized that almost none of this matters. Maybe it improve my social skills about 5% at most...but not really. It's fun to discuss about in the forums though xD

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't know. I have a lot of traits from a lot of the different MBTI profiles.

Actually I like the Anneagram a lot more.

As interesting as it was initially, MBTI is lacking. It's more of a generalization and less of an accurate depiction of personalities. I can't believe that all ENFP's do not think, and that all ENTP's do not feel emotions regularly. Sure - some people are emotionally cold, while others do not think a wit, but they are exceptions. Seems improbable to think one can quantify personality.

Reactions: WindowLicker

·
Banned
318 Posts
The MBTI system is not founded upon a personality theory. It is founded upon a psychological theory. Carl Jung's "Psychological types" never addressed personality and we are likely overlooking the direct impacts our psychological type has on our personality. Sure, there are certain tendencies that are agreeable to almost all individuals of a type, but those are likely only putting you in a position to try and be slightly more like somebody you aren't. If you want a type system that will tell you about your personality, try the enneagram.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I see it as a useful tool. I can use it to help understand the actions of others, their thought processes, as well as how my experiences relate to those of others or how they don't. Take it too far, however, and then it just becomes a hindrance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I find it fun guess people's personality type by deciding on which letters they have, and then seeing if the description fits them. But it is just for fun and laughs.

Though MBTI has in some cases a little truth to it, it is also dangerously close to pseudoscience.

I think people who take it too seriously and place much weight on MBTI personality types are frankly pretty fucking stupid.

That is almost like judging people by their astrology sign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use MBTI as a guideline to improve oneself. It explained I cannot take criticism on academic performance well due to inferior introverted sensing. Fortunately, certain extroverted thinkers have reminded me to remember many other people has mediocre ability so it is not uncommon to have some weaker skills myself. This thought makes me be less uncomfortable with weak skills and hence less vulnerable to criticism.

When I apply MBTI to others, I will only use their types to help them figure out the best method of work and study to become successful. It will never affect our interaction otherwise.

I find it fun guess people's personality type by deciding on which letters they have, and then seeing if the description fits them. But it is just for fun and laughs.
I also guess fictional people's personality type, but by their use of cognitive functions. This allows me to analyze if the character has a strong impression to the audience.

I would guess real people's personality type ONLY to help them become more successful. Again, abusing personality type for interaction is more of a hindrance than a help.

I think people who take it too seriously and place much weight on MBTI personality types are frankly pretty fucking stupid.

That is almost like judging people by their astrology sign.
Judging fictional people by their astrology sign is justified only if the fiction creator refers to astrology to give birth dates to them to coincide with their personality. Such behavior should not be encouraged or discouraged.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's a fun thing I think but honestly, I place no weight on it. There are people I love to be around that I shouldn't "get along" with based on the test. I've learned much about myself since finding out my type and how I work but honestly, I use it for myself and not anyone else. I judge people by how they act, treat others and their moral standards. Otherwise, I don't care what four letters their personality type contains.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Yes, because it's not like Astrology where we are assigned a random type or sign and then told we have traits of that.

With typology, we've actually taken a valid assessment.

So yeah, lol. I am A LOT like other INTPs, but am on the I/E border personally and that's how I always score.

I agree with really studying the functions, it's pretty common to type as at least one letter off.

Your left-handedness is common among Ns, it doesn't mean that because you're ENFP you're left-handed. It's that you typed as ENFP, and your left-handedness has played a role in that because it's affected your development.

It's funny, as different as left-handed people can be I've been able to guess when someone is and I thought one of my friends might be, he wasn't but most of the males in his family were and he was DEF an ENFP.

·
Registered
603 Posts
it's lightly useful.

i believe it to hold some water because:
  • i can estimate a person's type, then ask them to test themselves and tell me their result. i'm usually correct, or off by 1 letter.
  • electroencephalograms have proved useful in trying to explain the theory and its functions in a neuropsychological way, showing that people of the same type tend to think more similarly than those across the MBTI spectrum.
  • i and others relate my personality to the INFJ description - it explains much about me.

however, considering it is very generalising, i tend to use it as a rough 'guide' - if someone doesn't fit, they don't fit. it can just point you in the right direction. i am somewhere between a feeler and a thinker myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The MBTI system is not founded upon a personality theory. It is founded upon a psychological theory. Carl Jung's "Psychological types" never addressed personality and we are likely overlooking the direct impacts our psychological type has on our personality. Sure, there are certain tendencies that are agreeable to almost all individuals of a type, but those are likely only putting you in a position to try and be slightly more like somebody you aren't. If you want a type system that will tell you about your personality, try the enneagram.
I guess I should learn to differentiate the two, but whenever I think of someone's personality I subconsciously attribute that to whatever they have been through in life since it's our life experiences that usually mold the person that we become. When I took the enneagram I got the same vibe as I did from the MBTI; They were both dead on in a nutshell but there were still facets of my person that were not highlighted

I'm always open to being educated further on things i'm not familiar with, so please feel free to school me if neccesary

1 - 20 of 27 Posts