Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After been lurking for a while, I'm gonna post and ask this.

I think I'm a borderline ISTP/INTP, if it's exists anyway, and i'm wanting more clarification which type I more into.

If you're ISTP, developing se is the answer, to get out from the loop. Having this "here and now" attitude makes me worry less, and fully focus what's in front me, not caring about what happened yesterday or what will be tomorrow.

What about INTP and ne? how ne can makes me happy (if I'm INTP). I read somewhere ne is like gathering information. Sure I like reading, but reading about things like deconstruction would put me to sleep, and I dont like fiction, gossip magazine because it's kinda useless for me.

and can someone explain difference between ne vs ni in plain english, I'm having a hard time understanding them.

and what about si? If I'm keep remembering the past, meaning that i'm using si? am I INTP or ISTP with a bad ti-ni loop.

sorry because this turn into personal, but I just wanna know more about which functions I use alot, I know ISTP/INTP share ti fe, so basically how to distinguish ne ni si

·
Registered
525 Posts
Take a look here (and there are other threads about this on PerC also)
http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/34859-difference-between-ne-ni.html

Especially look at the first two answers, they are very informative.

But Ne is not about gathering information in the way you put it. Ne allows you to "predict" possible connections and possibilities. It is one step beyond extrapolation.

Ni allows you to connect the dots to make a synthesis.

In the example of a puzzle :
-Ni helps you see how all the pieces fit together in the current puzzle.
-Ne lets you take the information about the current puzzle to let you see how you could possibly solve other puzzles.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

I think I'm a borderline ISTP/INTP, if it's exists anyway, and i'm wanting more clarification which type I more into.

If you're ISTP, developing se is the answer, to get out from the loop. Having this "here and now" attitude makes me worry less, and fully focus what's in front me, not caring about what happened yesterday or what will be tomorrow.

What about INTP and ne? how ne can makes me happy (if I'm INTP). I read somewhere ne is like gathering information. Sure I like reading, but reading about things like deconstruction would put me to sleep, and I dont like fiction, gossip magazine because it's kinda useless for me.
I enjoy the creative aspects of Ne-- creating something new, making people laugh, finding clever solutions. I find it very hard to just be "in the moment" without either getting lost in thought or having Ne become active and look for ways to alter the current situation

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wait a sec, INTP's are the typical nerd?!?!

Cartoon Photo caption Font Poster

Nerd, . . well ok, sure even, . . typical?! Hell no

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, I take offense to that too. Many types can be nerdy. Many INTPs lock their nerdiness away from most people. So that statement doesn't really help identify INTPs
I feel a need for the Geek vs Nerd discussion.

I'll admit be being a Geek, after all I have a couple fantasy related hobbies and interests, but I feel many of my other interests are a bit too broad to label myself a nerd.

Reactions: lala fafa

·
Registered
372 Posts
lol, It did nail the Running thing for me though, but I don't use it too much for actually thinking, it's more for clearing the stress out of your head. Taking long 1+ hour Walks however is a great means of getting some thinking done.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

Yeah, I think there's certainly borderlines, especially between types which only differ in their secondary and tertiary functions, like INTP vs. ISTP.

Ne isn't necessarily "smart," just like Se isn't necessarily being "dumb." Se is about seeing the here and now, experiencing the world in very vivid colors. What Ne is about isn't intelligence, exactly, it's about *possibility*. Ne doesn't have as many data points as Se does, but it investigates different interpretations and implications of those data points it does check out.

One example is word play: INTPs *love* word play, since Ne gets to poke around in all the various ambiguities of language.

and can someone explain difference between ne vs ni in plain english, I'm having a hard time understanding them.
I'm afraid Ni is a bit of a mystery to me. I get that it's also about possibilities, but it's more like plotting out possible courses of action or something. Ne is more about figuring out the possibilities of things in the world around us.

and what about si? If I'm keep remembering the past, meaning that i'm using si? am I INTP or ISTP with a bad ti-ni loop.
I don't know. That does sound like Si, but like I said, Ni is a bit of a mystery to me. I think Ni would be more about worrying about the future, whereas Si would be worrying about the past. But I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

View attachment 34297

I think it's just a generalization. There are, of course, outliers in any type that don't behave like the norm, but I don't think the majority of INTPs will be into knockdown karate as an everyday hobby.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think it's just a generalization. There are, of course, outliers in any type that don't behave like the norm, but I don't think the majority of INTPs will be into knockdown karate as an everyday hobby.
Err you missed my point. It's the "typical" part I took offence to :p

·
Registered
95 Posts

View attachment 34297

LOL, I agree with you. Many people have called me a 'nerd-wannabe' because I have nerdy interests but supposedly don't come off as the typical nerd in social situations - that is unless someone brings up a topic that interests me.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Err you missed my point. It's the "typical" part I took offence to :p

Well, I haven't met any other INTP in my personal life (to my knowledge), so I don't have a sample for observation.

I wouldn't doubt many are either overweight or miserably thin, however, not because they are INTP, but because many people are simply that way, regardless of their type.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts

sorry because this turn into personal, but I just wanna know more about which functions I use alot, I know ISTP/INTP share ti fe, so basically how to distinguish ne ni si
Ne is "in the moment" too, it's just more abstract than Se is. It's details vs. patterns, groundedness vs. creativity, abstract vs. concrete, yes, but both are "in the moment". Ne doesn't plan, it improvises. Ni imagines a plan, a vision, a road ahead.

Ne is more random, Ni is more synergistic. Ne cross references and weaves together stuff in its environment, Ni shows you "the way" forward. Ne will suggest a dozen ways, not as deep or original per se as Ni, but its strength is in the sheer number of associations and possibilities it can generate.

Si is not memory per se as feeling out that you've seen something before. INTP's tend not to have the high level of it where it's used to actually decide what is practical and relevant to pay attention to in a current situation and set an agenda. We tend to use it more as a fact mine for Ti and to gain a sense of historical flow for our Ti "flow charts". In other words, it's used to serve Ti. I would imagine the ISTP Ni would be similar, but I can't speak to what it is.

Really it's always difficult to describe functions you don't have, so take everything I say about Ni with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are confused about being an INTP, and do not see the need to think to oblivion - no, you are not an INTP. This characteristic, call it stereotype or not - is what defines us the most.

Reactions: Draco

·
Registered
95 Posts
The video describes Ti versus Te as a primary function (slow, deliberate and deep vs fast, bouncy, and many different ideas).
I have a minor issue with this. INTJs have Te as a secondary function - and they tend to speak slowly and deliberately from my experience, much like the definition of Ti which this video gives. How do I reconcile this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts