Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just broadly polling some of you for thoughts on happiness.

Assuming happiness is something to strive for, do you think it's possible to be happy all of the time? What would a person who's happy all of the time believe to make them so? If happiness is something you'd desire, but have difficulty achieving, what is your reasoning towards what gets in the way?

And just for the measuring stick, I tend to define happiness as a content, carefree sensation with no worries. Everyone that talks to me gets a smile, and I might even smile when nobody's around. I have a skip in my step, energy, and a slight warmth in me (that doesn't necessarily translate to heat). In other words, it is not because of one single instance that I'm happy, rather the culmination of my perception living life.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I definitely don't think a constant state of happiness can be achieved for most people. I think it's by nature fleeting, which is fine because it makes you enjoy it while it lasts. Humans are evolved to be slightly dissatisfied, so regardless of what you've done to be happy it'll only work for a short time anyway. To me that's the human condition that Buddhism tries to get away from... this constant desire to have more, never satisfied with what you do have. I'm not Buddhist, but I think they're on to something there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I don't think anyone can be always happy unless they have some brain problem. I feel more often joy than happiness; I can be easily amused by something even if I'm having really crappy time, but it doesn't mean overall happiness. I view happiness as a more deep rooted state of mind, something that lies beneath the more rapidly changing emotions. I'm not sure if I've been that happy for a long time. Fairly content yes, but happy? Perhaps it's not in my nature to be a very happy person.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are a number of different happinesses I experience.

One is the feeling of accomplishment and success at practical labor when my work on it is flowing well. For once, I have broken through inattention and lack of motivation and managed to make progress on something. Commonly, my future-oriented brain maps this onto my future plans as well. Suddenly, the entire world seems like a favorable place where I will be wafted by warm, gentle breezes to my ultimate abode, and my usual attitude of struggle against the world can be sloughed off like a snakeskin.

Another is the feeling of everything not needing control, feeling somewhat carefree. There are no circumstances I need concern myself with that I cannot comfortably address. Existing as my own self is sufficient; natural self-expression comes easily.

A third is a feeling of awe and amazement at an outward source. I have interacted with a few people who were vastly inspiring to me, both romantically and otherwise, but seldom have I maintained an enduring relationship with such people--and if it did, the awe would probably be lost. More often, the beauty of nature brings on this state of mind.

Fourth is complete intuitive creative flow into playing music or writing. Perhaps it could be considered an amplified version of 2). I think this might be the most euphoric and meaningful of all. It is pure extraverted Intuition. I think I might die of joy if I could find someone to play extraverted Intuition with me until the end of time.

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Registered
43 Posts
To me happiness is being stress free. The past year i have been very good. No school and finding and stress free job regardless of pay and some consistence good friends are a good start it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe for me happiness is dependent on my environment or how stressed I am. I don't experience sheer joy and happiness that often, I'd say my emotions are usually neutral(though I used to be depressed constantly). For someone to be happy I think their life needs to be going quite well, they completely disregard and have no care for physical or material needs, or they ignore the things that make them stressed and unhappy.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I'm happy whenever I have the freedom to make my own choices, which usually involve staying on the couch and playing video games all day long.

Reactions: ouchies

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
I would say, there is no such thing as true happiness or eternal happiness. But there is a thing as being content. I'm content with doing things that I enjoy. Such as playing video games, delivering pizzas and driving around, even sleeping all day.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I am not happy right now, though a friend of mine says I should be. Back in January I gave up trying to get my dream job and I applied for the Sheriff's dept. I haven't gotten the job yet, but it is pretty much a done deal. I know they are going to offer the position to me.
I have already interviewed, polygraphed, and everything. I am just one step away from an offer.

Around that same time that I applied for the job, I also went ahead and put in an application for an internship offshore on an oil rig. It was just for kicks. I had been rejected so many times, I forgot I applied. That is how much hope I had of being contacted. I put that application in and just forgot about it. I really didn't expect to get an interview.

Two days ago, I get a phone call inviting me to interview for the internship.

Herein lies the conundrum that has me depressed. Murphy is never Satisfied. if he doesn't take away an opportunity, he offers you one too many so there is the possibility you might lose them both.
I'd rather the internship. If it came down to it, the internship pays twice as much, and there is a very good chance that I will be offered a full-time position making 4 times as much as I would at the sheriff's office. Plus it is a great job, one I went to school for, etc. The problem? if they take too long to make up their mind after the interview on monday, I will have to gamble.

Either I will have to give up on the internship and take the police job because it pays decent enough and I need a job that pays decent. I will making the gamble that I would not be offered the internship, then I will be miserable when I get a conditional offer package from the Oil Company and have to turn them down.

Or I will have to turn down the police job, essentially gambling on getting the internship, and then when I don't get it, I will pretty miserable because I will have to live in a cardboard box... or go work at popeyes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just broadly polling some of you for thoughts on happiness.

Assuming happiness is something to strive for, do you think it's possible to be happy all of the time? What would a person who's happy all of the time believe to make them so? If happiness is something you'd desire, but have difficulty achieving, what is your reasoning towards what gets in the way?

And just for the measuring stick, I tend to define happiness as a content, carefree sensation with no worries. Everyone that talks to me gets a smile, and I might even smile when nobody's around. I have a skip in my step, energy, and a slight warmth in me (that doesn't necessarily translate to heat). In other words, it is not because of one single instance that I'm happy, rather the culmination of my perception living life.
i have short 'eureka' moments throughout the day which are generated by contemplating theory. that's it.

i live to solve.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't strive for happiness. Happiness is an emotion, and as such, is temporary, like sadness. I can't generate happiness on my own, it is built by external factors.
I think what I aspire to is closer to the Buddhist concept of contentment/fulfillment.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I'm neutral.

Almost never. Most TV programs and books bore me; don't have the energy to go through most of them. Most things in life, along with my family and a lot of my friends, are cringeworthy. I'm constantly worried and stressed, even in short one-week holidays, about classes, studies and hard work. I HATE hard work. That's probably the only thing I really hate, besides natural things people hate like separation/pain etc. When I'm happy, I figure out why I'm happy, what negative effects my ignorance and happiness can have and return to a state of being neutral.

Life as a whole is annoying.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would really have to spend time thinking about happiness, forming some new ideas about it, but I think I never really had the idea I understood the actual 'state of happiness', for to me it is something so huge and abstract, it can only exist in poetry. I consider happiness to be a state I do not think can be achieved.
Therefore to me it is hard to grab the whole idea of people telling they have known true happiness.

To me, being happy (which I consider different from happiness) is like a vague distant state, which rarely lasts long. It may consist of temporary euphoria, which would be the nearest I got. It never lasts long though.

·
Warden-Commander
24,113 Posts
I don't feel happy. I feel content. And I feel content when I'm not tired or sad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im neutral. There are very few things that excite me to a level of happiness. Unless when I am in love, I like the "mind games" trying to figure out what she is thinking about me, and how what I am saying and doing are effecting her thoughts, especially when she is smart enough to notice that I am trying to figure her out and are purposely denying me information (in a flirty manner).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
To me happiness is being stress free. The past year i have been very good.
Exactly as he described ^

Anyways, I tend to be one jolly-happy fucker when there is no stress in my life and I'm left be to do as I wish without any major changes. I get happy quickly and quite often.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.