Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through the forum, and found a common thread in the 'pursuing a person', 'pecking orders', and driving topics. They all involve an element of dehumanization.

Hear me out. When perusing a person, you can dehumanize them in the sense that you idealize them, put them on a pedestal, and at worst; you fall in love with the idea of the person. In the pecking order topic, you can dehumanize others by perceiving them as your ticket to a promotion, an enabler, or an obstacle. In driving, you lose sight that the other cars have someone inside just trying to get somewhere, who has their own needs and life. The last one was brought to my attention by an ISFJ friend a while ago.

These are simply my interpretations of the topics, replies, and my personal experiences. Is this common for other ENTJs? Do you catch yourself doing this and stop? Or maybe you've grown out of it. Taking the discussion a bit further, how long does it take you to dehumanize someone you would deem a coward?

Let's appeal to Fi. On the other hand you have personification. As a child did you personify your toys or random inanimate objects? Do you still do this?

If there are other instances of this, please share.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Wow. Interesting question. Makes me think of the Burn Notice distinctions between "assets" and people.

I'd say at least once a week for me accidentally depersonalizing someone... usually at work.

In terms of anthropomorphizing objects, I do that every day. My plastic dinosaur collection has a lot of personality.
:wink:

·
mafia mod
13,316 Posts
I'll start with the easy question first. I never personified inanimate objects. I do however have names for the rabbits in my backyard, and a squirrel who hangs out on my crab apple tree.

Now the dehumanization. I worked in the psychology field, which helped kick that habit......for the most part. I usually do it when I am stressed and thus doing a bit of projection.

Reactions: HiRide

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I dehumanize myself first, that I know from.. long ago.

I don't consciously dehumanize other people, but that's possible/ pretty likely. I'm familiar with the pedestal/not dichotomy, though. Noticed that I have to be careful so I don't put someone on a pedestal and expect them to be 'perfect', then disappointed when they prove themselves to be human and exhibit imperfection and flaws.

Have to explore more about this, I never really associated the pedestal and objectifying people.

Let's appeal to Fi. On the other hand you have personification. As a child did you personify your toys or random inanimate objects? Do you still do this?
I name my computer(s), but that's pretty much it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Is this common for other ENTJs? Do you catch yourself doing this and stop? Or maybe you've grown out of it. Taking the discussion a bit further, how long does it take you to dehumanize someone you would deem a coward?

If there are other instances of this, please share.
I dehumanize people and animals unconsciously, and quite often people catch me doing it, or I notice it myself.

On the other hand, I used to empathize a lot with inanimate objects as a kid. I had problems eating pieces of candy shaped like animals, for example.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I admit, I do this. Kind of.

I think I used to have a higher level of compassion for fellow man. However, as I grew older, I grew more cynical. There are a lot of bad people out there, dumb people, greedy people, etc. Mankind is nothing but animals. So maybe its not de-humanizing as much as redefining what it means to be human. I don't value myself greater than any other person.

I think that we all share a common factor of inflated self importance. My needs, my life, my work, is not really any more important than anyone else's and vice versa. Don't take me too seriously on this. Don't think I don't value human life or anything. I just think that society gave us a layer of superficiality.

Reminds me of a quote from Fight Club: "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything."

So, in conclusion, yes, I dehumanize people on the road and at work and stuff. You are right, they have needs, lives, and whatnot all on their own. Its just not pertinent to mine or society as a whole, so I really don't need to acknowledge that any more than I have to notice the trees on the side of the road.

·
Registered
675 Posts
This isn't an issue for me. Though treating others as objects-- mirrors for our own selves-- is more common than we think, is also a modern development, and also transcends type.

The book to read here is The Culture of Narcissism by Christopher Lasch. Written in 1979, it is even more true in the age of Facebook, LeBron, Obama, etc.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I do it every time I go to the store. Essentially I'm so focused on where I am going or what I am getting. People become animated obstacles. Is it similar for you ENTJs?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome Question! The driving habits are where my dehumanization is most clear. I have a bad habit of reckless driving; the term is drifting and while I may feel that everything is in control, I go into a state of total selfishness. During the brief moment when I feel like letting the tail slide out, all the roads belong to me and the safety of others doesnt even reach the top 10 on my list of priorities. This is also something I am paying the price for and as a result I am learning to share the road. So I have been staying out of the left lane as much as I can, and leaving early for wherever I am going so I can just cruise to my destination in a relaxed manner. Its actually quite nice, but I still find myself hitting the gas every now and then. I dont think the car helps...

The more I think about it, at work my co-workers are either obstacles or support for me to reach my goals, however I dont think I dehumanize them completely. I love to see others succeed even if I take satisfaction from being the reason; just as I love to meet and exceed my goals, I want to see others do the same whether I play a role in it or not.

In relationships, I feel I have learned to manage dehumanization to a safe amount by balancing my expectations with more reasonable ones. But that's because not everyone is ENTJ... chances are everyone in here would meet expectations regardless of emotions, etc...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do it every time I go to the store. Essentially I'm so focused on where I am going or what I am getting. People become animated obstacles. Is it similar for you ENTJs?
As soon as I am in "get it done" mode, yes. People are just self ambulating piles of meat, and they are either in my way or out of it.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Occasionally I do this too even though I am a feeler. Once I have started developing my Ti more, other people have noted that I have on occasion started to refer to living beings as "it" instead of he, she, or by their name. This switch signifies that I have removed the feelings from the situation and am trying to think about it logically which requires that I treat other living beings as objects. Though the feeling approach is more natural to me, sometimes I just think it does no harm to others and even benefits everyone that I use more logic and less feeling in my approach. For somebody who tests as T learning to appeal more to to F side of things I think makes for a better rounded personality.

·
Banned
166 Posts
Yes i also tend to dehumanize those i dont like and actually mentally tune them out almost like its a ghost talking.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
to me I have no "friends" I simply have people I am loyal to, protect and look out for. I've always been a lone wolf & people who are close to me are the ones who just stuck around for the ride.
When I meet people I see how my relationship with them can benefit me, I treat them like assets unintentionally.
This is why I do not hate anybody, unless they harm somebody who is close to me. I can easily determine an individuals strength / weaknesses and I utilize them when I need them.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
I used to do this all the time. For me, other people were stairs that I could step on. I think that this was extremely immature and I wouldn't do it anymore. Other people have feelings too and it isn't right or practical to step all over them.

Did I personify things? Uh. Hm. I don't think I did, actually.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Alright, it is an interesting question:

I dehumanize everyone - in fact, it's not that I dehumanize so much as I fail to see humans as "special". I do see people I love as special, but not because they are human. The problem I have with empathizing and humanizing with everyone is that by it's very nature, evil or weak people will take full advantage of you. Like gun laws, they are there to stop the good people from carrying guns, not the bad people, the bad could care less about the law.

the notion of "dissing" someone is perhaps one of the most humorous attitudes I can imagine - even the biggest bum, lacky, thashhead, junkie or what have you thinks he / she deserves to be treated like royalty. They frequently think I am a dick because I demand that respect be earned, and I expect to have to earn it myself. they are humans, I help when help is needed, but I do think people need to climb the ladder, or wallow in the mire and it's all up to them.

I anthropomorphize my musical instruments, boats and vehicles. I do this to increase the sense of a good investment and my sense of duty to their proper upkeep.

I get mad at other drivers that are texting or driving dangerously - sure they are going somewhere but that doesn't mean they are good or safe drivers. I expect people to adhere to the law, drive at the speed limit when safe, stop at red lights and stop signs, and if they do that I'll have no complaints.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.