Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Never

Votes: 9 25.7%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For clarification, we're talking about dreams you have when you go to sleep. How often would you say the theme of being chased comes up for you (by a person, thing, etc.). Feel free to elaborate on the context. Also tell me what your MBTI and core enneagram type is if you know it. I'm thinking about making a whole series of dream theme polls.

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Registered
759 Posts
Chased as a potential lover, or by a raving lunatic delivering a message to say my mother has at last dropped dead?

Never. It's usually me doing the chasing, for either of the above; but as far as I remember, there was never an actual destination or visible person whom I sought. More like knowing there is something sitting in the darkness ahead, for good or for ill, and running full speed ahead to see what it is. It could have been the elixir of life, where I shall spend an eternity in bliss; it could have been Adam Lambert saying naked, spread-eageled on a flowerbed; it could have been the edge of a cliff where I shall plummet to my death, and awaken in sweat and hyperventilation.

I'm not sure how frequently such dreams occur, though. Very rarley do I suddenly wake up because of a dream. Even something as gruesome as being forced to watch a soap opera wouldn't wake me up -- Sad, but true. Now that I think of it, perhaps there were cases where I had been chased, but was too curious and conscious of it being a dream, that I froze in my tracks to see the culprit. Not sure if I'm glad there was nothing there, or terrified that I was being chased by absolute nothingness.

I'm an INFP, 5w4.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I only recall having dreamt about being chased once. It was a few years ago and I was running away from a car. My escape was diving into the ocean, but I couldn't swim. I woke up before I died.

ISTP, not completely sure about core type but going with 5w6.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Pretty much never am I chased in my dreams...unless we count chased by paper deadlines even when I'm out of school, lol! (and INFJ 4w5)

I hope you do the dream series polls, that sounds awesome!!! :)

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for further clarification, I meant being chased by something malevolent where you're trying to escape.

And just to add to the bunch, I get them quite often. Just last night I had one where i was being chased by a snake that could transform into a human. I was climbing on top of cabinets to get away from it. Other times it's by someone or something evil like an evil witch, monster or serial killer. Sometimes when I run to escape, it's in slow motion. Sometimes I'm not a participant in the dream and I'm observing my dream characters getting chased but we are linked, in a way because their thoughts and actions would have been similar to mine. One time my character was hopping and flipping on top of tables while he was getting chased by some cops. It made me think of that Aladdin song (One Jump Ahead) and I started singing it in my head while watching lol. Another time I was being chased by a dark presence in an alley. It was trying to get my pet rabbit at the time and I was holding her to chest, protecting her by running away from it. The next day, we found she had died of unknown causes.

I actually thought it was quite the common dream theme. I asked my INFJ hubby (also a 6w5) and type 9w1 INFP brother recently how often they have dreams where they're being chased and they said almost never. I was surprised!

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Registered
330 Posts
Usually, it is not me being chased but the other way around and someone or something getting tortured and/or killed. Either way, my dreams can be very intense that would be too intense for some children, teenagers, and adults. I wish other people other than myself sweet dreams, though. *Sadistic troll face.*

·
Registered
31 Posts
I often have elaborate dreams, but the main chase dream I remember was when I was a child and had watched a semi-scary movie. I think some cartoon type witch was after me and a couple other people. In the rare fight vs. flight moments I do have in dreams I tend to fight. Now I have to wonder what that means. Most of my dreams are pleasant, but intricate and sometimes goofy.

INTJ 5w6

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,660 Posts
Never been chased in a dream. I'm not often afraid in dreams either.

I don't know what my enneagram is, and after getting so many varied results and seeing how I don't seem to keep the same motivation or vice from day to day, I don't think it applies very well to me.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,660 Posts
Never been chased in a dream. I'm not often afraid in dreams either.

I don't know what my enneagram is, and after getting so many varied results and seeing how I don't seem to keep the same motivation or vice from day to day, I don't think it applies very well to me.
A friend helped me with my enneagram problem, and I feel confident that I am Type 9! And perhaps my previous statement is a very "Type 9" thing to say:tongue:

·
Registered
57 Posts
All the time. Like, I would say the vast majority of dreams that I remember involve me running or being motivated by a looming threat. Always some element of fear, or tension at the very least.

There's been dreams where something's physically chasing me, dreams where I have to race something/someone to another location so I can warn [people] first, and recurring dreams where I already know the sequence of events that will take place, and I'm trying to change the outcome by being one step ahead.

The chaser is usually not a specific person -- my dreams don't include anyone I know in real life. Sometimes it's an entire group of enemies, sometimes it's just a general sense of danger.

INTP 5w6 sp/so

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Wow, you know, I've never really consciously stopped to think about the fact that I used to have chase-related dreams all the time in the past, but don't recall having had one in about half a year since I've started graduate school.

Prior to that, the chase was generally weekly: floods and tornadoes were most common, followed by dwarf creatures or just a sense of being chances by something I couldn't see.

·
Banned
800 Posts
INTJ, 5w4. I rarely dream within the last decades, but it used to be one of the recurrent ones. Mostly, I experienced lucid dreaming and fought back. The main setup was a cluttered, destroyed city, usually illuminated a harsh red. The pursuer would shoot at me.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Sometimes, especially with trains or trams trying to hit me.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have dreams of being chased often, I would say at least every week. Sometimes more. Usually it feels like I am being hunted and if I'm caught I will be tortured & killed. It is almost always a person that is trying to kill me, a few times it was a wild animal, and a few times a murderous spirit. Miltary styled dreams are a common theme as well. I've had violent dreams for as long as I can remember. INFJ 6w5 (even though you know this already ;) )

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to have them all the time as a child (a recurring one of a man in black and white stripes chasing me as I climbed up the tallest jungle gym...). Now I don't have regular chase dreams, but have dreams of trying to run/hide from a psychopath while also solving some mystery, or of going through a labyrinth trying to distance myself from someone or something, and having to solve puzzles along the way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Only sometimes.
I remember having a very vivid dream where I was being chased by a teacher who wanted to kill me.
And around a week ago and I dreamt that a security guard was trying to chase me out of a concert with a baton.
I won't go into detail because my dreams are always all over the place.

INTP, 6w5, sp/so

1 - 20 of 20 Posts