Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused slightly on this topic... I'm often called lucky by my friends, sometimes seeing things, or guessing them and the majority of the time being right. Having no clue how I am able to do it so often.

For example, watching a movie and over analyzing it to the point of pointing out a theme/event that hasn't happened yet and no one else sees it coming.

Can't think of other examples atm, but there are much better ones than that.

Do other INTP's often feel they do this more than others? It could be any of the N types... some having stronger areas relating to the topic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Im an infj and I can relate to what you are saying I think it has to do with us being N. Dont ignore your intuition its the best advise I can give.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Very often, and my gut instincts are often correct about people/things/concepts, but not all the time. It prompts me to avoid certain people or situations and those are the cases where it's most accurate. Lots of times I can see a certain way a situation will play out or how something will end up or what someone will do, but how exactly that eventuality is going to come out isn't always clear from the get-go. It's something that becomes clear pretty quick once I get a hunch about the eventual outcome though - seeing possible outcomes helps reveal motivations and such.

I also have a habit of imaging worst-case scenarios, because they almost always seem to happen to me. Sometimes things don't end up as bad as I imagine and that's always a welcome relief. I actually enjoy being wrong when a situation goes better than expected.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have that a lot. I often size up people real quickly especially in terms of their social compatibility with me. And when a conversation, or a movie plot or whatever evolves along linear lines my thoughts skip right to the pretty much inevitable conclusion.

Its especially bad when you are in a discussion and you already know the outcome but still have to play the whole game.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I detect ulterrior motives very well. I'm also good at telling when people misinterpret something in conversation and exactly in what way they misinterpreted it even if it's not blatantly obvious based on what they said. In general I think I get a feel for people's base behavior fairly well.

I can't figure out if our ability to do this is natural or if we just choose to pay attention to these kinds of details more than others do.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Very often for me, too. I have envisioned things such as car wrecks, money, relationships...And they end up happening. I don't think that I am physic or anything but at times I do have premonitions.

My husband is an ESFJ and he can also...So I don't really believe that it's a N thing. And he seems to know much more then I do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Far too often. I hate it. It makes me seem crazy or obsessive because other people know that they would have to sit there and think for days just to come up with a little bit of what I said so they think that I sat there for weeks just to be able to say what I said when in reality it came to me as I said it... It's terrible. I see too many connections between too many things. It's like our fellow INTP Jung said "As a child I felt myself to be alone, and I am still, because I know things and must hint at things which others apparently know nothing of, and for the most part do not want to know." I hate that aspect. No matter how well I explain it, no matter how much they understand it, they always deny it. The most common reply is "You think too much". I can't help but think to myself, and despise my doing so, that they think too little.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Friends of mine are amazed of how accurate i can be in my predictions.

Just before i went to uni, i described my "fellow" students, what would be like to live in a dorm and many other aspects of uni life without even talking with someone from there or my (then) future fellow students.

I based my prediction upon empirical data. My collage has 3/4 girls in it---so it must have something that attracts girls---the subject itself cannot be the factor---so it must be that they have a wrong impression of what the subject is about---also the girls and boys must also be much more sociable than the average joe if my latter assumption was correct, basing their idea of the subject based on the sonority of it(one of the profs asked them this at the beginning and nearly all of them confirmed my theory)

Note: I feel like i'm attending a fucking tea party every time i go to class.

So yeah all those and many more were very accurate--even my mom was amazed, how could i know so much about people if i rarely interact with them.

Reactions: Goodewitch

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
I often immediately analyze a situation and come to a different conclusion than 90% of the people who observe the same thing. This is not a way to make friends, and I find that I cannot simply seem like I agree with people for the sake of alliance or friendship. This happens within my family a lot, and I have gotten into major fights over disagreeing with doctors' diagnoses of particular family members (and I have never studied medicine; things just must make logical sense). I turned out to be right every time, and family members only listened to me after seeing that the misdiagnoses of doctors were endangering the lives of loved ones.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I have been examining my hunches while I'm in the process of receiving them. Usually I make an observation of an object in the external world or ponder over a simple idea. I expand these observations into connections with other ideas, delve deeper into the original idea, or collect more sensory datum. Through being around an environment, idea, person, and so on, I gain an impression, which I use as a guide for analysis. I try to examine the impression to see if it's valid or only a biased hunch, but usually I have the correct answer beforehand.

For example, when I meet a person for the first time, I unconsciously interpret their personality and mannerisms to determine their true character. Many of my impressions hold true to the scrutiny of analysis. A person could be manipulative, and I’ll not have any basis to know, but if there's something in my mind that doesn't trust the person, I'll feel skeptical until more evidence appears. Usually the people I feel comfortable with turn out to be good people while the people I'm skeptical with turn out to be manipulators or bullshiters.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Having hunches and predictions that are accurate? Probably no more or less than the average person. On the other hand, I'm always finding odd sorts of coincidences between things.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My hunches are usually correct. I trust them due to their proven accuracy but I tend to wait and see what my subconscious picked up before I actually act on them. So, I may be 90% sure of what will happen but I acknowledge that my brain needs some evidence first.

·
Registered
404 Posts
With a knack for improvisation, the INTP can cause no end of frustration to ESTJs and ISTJs. These types generally cannot make the same intuitive leaps that come naturally to the INTP. On the other hand, they are quick to note (sometimes smugly) when the INTP must stop in the middle of a project to puzzle over the previously discarded instructions, which the STJs read at the start.[11]

INTP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
404 Posts
Intuiting

Intuitors process data more deeply than sensors and are happy to trust their subconscious and 'sixth sense', gut feel, intuition or whatever you want to call it.

They are good at spotting patterns and taking a high-level view, as opposed to digging into the detail.

They like ideas and inspiration and tend to have a focus on the future, where they will plan to change the world rather than continue to live in the imperfect present.

At work, they like to acquire new skills and working at the strategic level.

They may be seen as impractical, theoretical and lacking determination by Sensors.

Sensing vs. Intuiting

Reactions: XO Skeleton

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/51720-you-indigo-child.html

Side Note: I've called out many people's BS/tactics before they started or finished it. It's probably more of a "N" trait.
I must agree. My friends and family "like" how i break down people's bullshit barriers: dismantle the knowledge and spit it back in their faces with lightning quick precision. I guess this why my mom calls me a smart ass and my cousin calls me an asshole. I simply reply with either a thank you, or flattery will get you no where with the classic INTP smirk on my face.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts