Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for relationships past the honeymoon stage, around 1 year in, but if it's younger than that, feel free to add how long the relationship's been together!

Relationship length: 15 months
Distance: 40 miles

In person: Whenever we hang out, around 3x a week
Phone calls: Random times
Email: Rarely
Texting: Random, usually out of boredom or emergency
Instant messaging: All day every day
Pokes: Whenever we remember haha

Has it changed since you first started going out?
Do you like the amount of communication you guys have?
Do you wish there was more or less communication?

I'd like to know how much you guys keep in touch with your significant others when you're in a relationship.

:D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My husband and I text about 20 times a day and talk on the phone *maybe* twice. He's thousands of miles away from me at the moment but even when we were dating and only 40 minutes away he wouldn't text often. After 3 years of finally ( and I mean within the last 60 days) gotten over my insecurities with how little we communicate and I'm fine just hearing from him every now and again.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
We live together now, but I'll answer.

Relationship length: 4 years.
Distance: 10 minute drive.

In person: Before we lived together, 2-3 times a week.
Phone calls: 4-5 times a week.
Email: Never.
Texting: Often, random messages all day. We probably communicated more through text a lot of the time.
Instant messaging: Never
Pokes: ...?

Has it changed since you first started going out? Nope, we moved in together after 1 year though.
Do you like the amount of communication you guys have? I did, it worked well for us.
Do you wish there was more or less communication? Nope.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Relationship length: 11.5 months
Distance: 3500 miles

In person: 4 times total since dating. One time before that where we met irl for the first time. Worked together 6 months before that.
Phone calls: Infrequent. Skype is infrequent, too. Time zone differences are a bitch.
Email: Never.
Texting: A couple of times a week, if I'm lucky
Instant messaging: Again, a couple of times a week.
Pokes: Never. I'm largely over fb

Has it changed since you first started going out? Drastically
Do you like the amount of communication you guys have? No, but he's an ISTP 5w6 so I try not to let it get to me.
Do you wish there was more or less communication? More, much more.

Reactions: Night & Day

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
@Siren

I was like this with my ex. We were in a LDR for almost a year, and changed from talking literally everyday to barely talked during the week, like one time, maybe two times OVERALL if I was lucky. I tried to chalk it up to the fact that he was an ISTJ, plus he was working, but eventually realized I needed more than that. Not saying anything, but I think you should talk to him at the very least.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Relationship length: Don't remember exact --- was around August, or September last year o.0
Distance: Around 1000 miles +

In person: Never
Phone calls: Never
Email: In emergency
Texting: Never
Instant messaging: 4-6 hours daily with lengthy breaks.
Pokes: Never

Has it changed since you first started going out? Not really. Though we change things around in our own way. She's started making and sending me vlogs recently since we can't skype, or talk on the phone :)

Do you like the amount of communication you guys have? Yes

Do you wish there was more or less communication? Neither. Content with what I have at the moment :) Though I feel like I could do more, but my living circumstances don't allow it - and neither do hers, so we're happy with what we have :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Relationship length: 2 years, nearly 9 months
Distance: HAlf hour drive

In person: We hang out once a week, sometimes we need to skip our weekly get togethers for the sake of homework.
Phone calls: Sometimes, at an uneven rate depending on what's going on in our lives.
Email: Rarely
Texting: Rarely, my phone is currently toast, but even before that we didn't text often do a bad signal at his house and a general forgetfulness on both of our parts to charge and answer said phones.
Instant messaging: Usually every evening
Pokes: Never

Has it changed since you first started going out? We spent more time together when we first started going out, but very quickly assumed the once-a-week routine.
Do you like the amount of communication you guys have? I wish there was more personal hang-out time, but I realize that with our schedules it isn't really plausible.
Do you wish there was more or less communication? More in general, though I do appreciate the occasional temporary break altogether from communication.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
@Siren

I was like this with my ex. We were in a LDR for almost a year, and changed from talking literally everyday to barely talked during the week, like one time, maybe two times OVERALL if I was lucky. I tried to chalk it up to the fact that he was an ISTJ, plus he was working, but eventually realized I needed more than that. Not saying anything, but I think you should talk to him at the very least.
I have talked to him about it. He's a 5w6 in a very stressful work environment right now. He needs the time after work to decompress and that's fine for now. We'll see how it goes. I'd rather weather the storm peacefully than make a fuss about a temporary situation.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'm not dating this guy anymore, but I'll write about how we did act when we were dating, and not much has changed anyway.

Relationship length: 2 years
Distance: about a half an hour drive for the first year and a half, then an hour away when I moved.

In person: when we hung out, how often that happened depended on where I lived and school.
Phone calls: maybe once a week, but not often.
Email: almost never.
Texting: when we were both awake unless we were too busy to text.
Instant messaging: pretty frequently in the beginning.
Pokes: never.

Has it changed since you first started going out? it changed a lot when we were dating depending on broken phones, school, etc.
Do you like the amount of communication you guys have? sometimes I thought we talked too much, actually.
Do you wish there was more or less communication? I didn't have too much of an opinion, I just took it as it came.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Relationship length: 15 months
Distance: 3,000 miles apart for the first 8 months, 5 miles apart for the next 6, and now back to 3,000 (as of yesterday... boo.)

In person: When we're long-distance, one weekend a month. In the same place, I'd stay over at his house (or vice versa) about four nights of the week, including weekends (which were generally always spent together).
Phone calls: When we're long-distance, they can be lengthy. Maybe once or twice a week. In the same place, we rarely talked on the phone except when we needed to ask a question or something.
Email: We have a habit of sending each other cute gushy emails, but we don't use it for normal communication.
Texting: Pretty much constantly, all day, every day, same place or not.
Instant messaging: Almost every night when long-distance. Pretty much never when we were in the same place.
Pokes: Never!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Relationship length: LOL about 2months and two weeks...(we are fairly new and bonded quickly)
Distance: i believe around 13miles
In person: every sunday
Phone calls: once a day until we remembered there's a thing called skype.
Emails: random
Texting: everyday
Instant messaging: once ot twice during skype
pokes...? we dont take facebook too seriously.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Relationship length: 16 months
Distance: 1 block

In person: 1:1, several times per week; with one or both sets of kids involved, several times per week
Phone calls: 1-3x per day
Email: Sporadic, averaging several per week
Texting: Daily, 1-10 texts back and forth
Instant messaging: None
Pokes: I give different kinds of pokes

The texts and phone calls have much reduced since we first started dating. Considering we were on the phone for 3 hours at at a time, that's a good thing. It's more "routine", but still fun, which is a function of security and familiarity rather than apathy. There are only so many "deep conversations" you can have with one person, and they will naturally peter out.

Yes. We're very compatible as we love each other's company, but we like to have time where we're not talking to each other, even in some instances where we're sitting together in the same room.

I'd say it's just right. There's certain particular subjects that could use more or better communication, but overall it's good and doesn't feel burdensome. Occasionally she'll get on my case for not returning a call or text, maybe during a distracted day, and she's right about that, but it's not a major or constant problem.

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,110 Posts
@Eerie and I talk constantly. We talk literally all day except when we're sleeping or if there's something that I really have to focus on intensely.

Reactions: Eerie

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If much more than an hour passes without a text I start to worry. She does, too.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Relationship length: 1.1 years
Distance: 10 miles, 20 minutes (for him by car, for me by bus it's like 2 hours -_-).
In person: Usually everyday, esp since I stay at his place a lot.
Phone calls: Before bed, if we are apart.
Email: Pretty much never
Texting: Never, since I technically don't have text messaging...
Instant messaging: ...I usually just lump this in with "texting" as I always IM from my phone (yay unlimited data), but about 20 a day, give or take, when we're apart.
Pokes: What is a poke? o_O

A little, but not TOO much. Obviously our texting and phone calls aren't as interesting or elaborate as they once were because we are not feeling each other out anymore. They're usually just sharing something funny, a nice sentiment, or for practical purposes. We spend more inrl quality time than before, so I am pretty happy with that.

Yep, it is a good level for us. I know for some people it might seem excessive (I couldn't believe when my friend told me she hated texting her boyfriend everyday, when I couldn't imagine not corresponding at a least a little!), but he does not get annoyed if I message him, and I do not get annoyed if he messages me. I mean, there is no pressure from either side to respond right away. Neither of us is the type of person to be "WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME OMG DO YOU HATE ME" kind of people (I also know these people, I find them a bit much, haha).

Neither... I think it's a pretty healthy level, not too much but definitely not too little.

I am boring. :proud:;

·
Registered
25 Posts
Relationship length: 3 months - a freshie
Distance: around about 40kilometres
In person: 2-3 times a week
Phone calls: only if something is important or can't be bothered writing a text message
Email: use e-mail for sharing special articles or events found online
Texting: approx 5 texts a day back and forth
Instant messaging: never
Pokes: neither of us have crackbook... if this is referring to crackbook poking??

No, not really, its still a new relationship.... (I dont see it changing too much unless we move in together or something along those lines)

Yes I do... Sometimes due to my INFJ'ness I wish that there was more. I suppose its an assurance thing for me, at times I want to know that everything is A-OK with us. She is ENFP so prefers just to go with the flow and enjoy, she rarely needs assurance. I've brought myself to realise that it's nice to have time to be you and not live out of your partners hands a lot of the time.

I'm happy with how often we communicate. I think the relationship could benefit from HOW we communicate, i.e what we are feeling and ensuring the other person knows where we are coming from on a topic. This just helps for avoiding misunderstandings. Overall the frequency of communication is good for us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts