Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's so rare that I don't even know, outside of attempts of being funny. Like today I was criticizing a friend and kept using his first and last name so redundantly. Oh well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
All 5 is intended to that?
No. These are just 5 examples of me using someone's name. However, I can use a combination of the above (for example 1+2+3) simultaneously, it depends on the particular social setting. I guess it's pretty common for nearly everyone, though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think if we use someone's name, it usually because it's very deliberate on our parts. For example, when it's in any commercial setting, I'll make a note of the person's name to accomplish at least 1 of 2 things: First, that they can't get away with poor customer service because they are no longer anonymous, and second, that if they like that personal crap, then they'll think I'm being personal/nice and might treat me better. Win/win.

To tell you the truth, on phone calls, I almost always use it strictly in the first sense. The CSR usually opens up with something like "Hi, this is Paul, how can I help you?" I write that down right away. Then after we troubleshoot the whole problem-- and without me saying his name the whole time-- I always end with something like, "Thanks, Paul. I appreciate your help." Just to freak him out. But also to let him know that people are paying attention, and he is responsible for what he is saying.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Only when I greet someone in specific or when I want to get some in specific's attention otherwise I barley use other peoples names in conversation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A more interesting question is how do you feel when someone else-- who you don't know-- uses your name? I don't like it at all. Which is usually fine because I generally have a foil. I offer my first name to the general public, which is very generic, but I was always called by my middle name growing up. So if someone calls me by my first name, my self is still untouched. But if they call me by my middle name-- my real name-- that really gets me.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,579 Posts
hardly ever lol. business calls mostly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Aside from the obvious, I use people's names:

* When I want to include them in a conversation or make them feel involved
* When I'm being sarcastic or joking with them

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Using another person's name is illegal. When I'm not engaged in identity theft, though, I don't really ever use a person's name, unless I'm feeling particularly playful. Names have always weirded me out. It makes me uncomfortable when a person singles me out by my name.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use it when flirting or when making sweet comments to a romantic interest/partner. It's more personal and I like it that way so I give it that way.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Almost never, except as an interjection, now that I think of it.

Reactions: QuietStorm

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I don't say people's names that often because I'm afraid that I may say it wrong.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts