• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
♂️ Xennial - Melancholic/Choleric
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And how did it impact you?

Mine were ancient geezers (38 and 46 when I was born). They were quite wooden and never liked modern entertainment, but the upside was their responsibility and emotional maturity. I often envied people who had younger parents, especially when they became adults and their parents were almost like peer friends because they still dated and did other entertaining stuff. I think I would be more fun-loving if I'd been born to a younger couple.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
My mom was chronologically ‘young’
She was 19 years old
However in spirit we all have always likened her to an old lady
Even her young was ‘old’

She has always been neurotic and environmentally particularl and specific to anal OCD degree, as well as into interests that are very old lady like. For what her age really is. She also stopped giving a shit about female maintenance at like age 38 and so she looks like the crypt keeper and like she is fricken 70 even though only being 55. Really all the woman would need to do is trim her fucking hair to her shoulders get a few blonde low lights to blend with white hair and put on some mascara every now and then. Instead she has white stringy hippie hair down to her ass.

Not to be confused with maturity. She is extremely emotionally immature and refuses to acknowledge her own feelings or that of others. But that does not have to do with her age having me because my brother was 15 years my junior and she has still not emotionally evolved and matured in many ways.

I will say that by commonality I have observed younger persons tend to be more immature In how they go about interacting with their kids. I can see that difference in how my mother raised my sister and I vs my brother.

I had my eldest the same age as my mom. People would definitely say I am way more child at heart regardless of age. They don’t mean emotionally immature. They mean like my spirit and nature is youthful. My demeanor and body posture is youthful. Anyways I always acknowledge to my kids the topic of what your saying that I recommend they have children after age 25 because they will be able to offer more financial stability, emotional security than what I have been able to offer my kids. And life will be easier for them if they achieve career first.

But I do not think everything is negative either direction. There are pros and cons to having kids too young or too late both directions some of what you mention. Me being younger and not born old like my mom means with my kids I’m very down to earth and keep it real with them. I do believe my children will have a lot of take away from seeing me working as a single parent as far as not wanting to be in that position struggling themselves. My mother did not exemplify that she was and is codependent on husbands to provide all the financial support. She has not had to work hard to support her children’s wellbeing. I love my mom but she was and is gold digger.

One advantage to being a younger parent is being able to stay on top of teen bullshit. Older people outta touch and assume their kids are all angels often. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
They were in their mid to late 20s. Mum was around my age when she had me - which is quite a worry to think about actually as I'm not in that frame of mind at all yet.

·
Registered
ESTP 7w6 so/sx
88 Posts
My parents were both late 20s...

But my biggest influencers as a child weren't my parents, they were these kids at this afterschool that taught me to enjoy the moment and be kind to others.

These friends were kind of like the (good) older sibling figures for me, since I grew up as the oldest child.

·
Registered
15,053 Posts
Dad was 26, Mom was 27. I don't think their age had a big impact on my upbringing.

·
Corvus Cretin
20,960 Posts
When I was born, my mom was 35 and my dad was 44 so quite old to have a kid at that point. I'm really not sure of the impact of their age on me.

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
The age of a person doesn't make them a good parent or not. For instance, there are some very old parents that don't know what they are doing, and there are very young parents that seem to have a natural knack for parenting. Granted, age comes with more life experience, but age doesn't make a person more loving or responsible.

·
Premium Member
ENFP, 4w5, so/s_ Cosmic
3,421 Posts
85, Scorpios, twins.
They had both left the business of racketeering and snowshoeing when my father, a communist who doesn't believe in ducks, got kicked in the head by a cow. As a result, he suffered from transient amnesia and frequently called himself Lucy. My mother, Ophelia, resorted to alcoholism, barking at mirrors, and selling seashells by the seashore.
Eventually, she traveled to Africa to met a witch doctor who then solved all of her problems.
In celebration my parents both conceived a child called Table, an eccentric psychopath who worked in the fish market and killed 12 bankers by the age of five.
To make ends meet, they sold him off to live with a family of Russian aristocrats. It was shortly after that when I was conceived.

·
Registered
ENFP-A 359 sp/sx
1,236 Posts
My mother (ENFJ) was 34 and father (ISFP) 40, I believe; after 10 years of marriage, at that... I was a "surprise" pregnancy.
Nearing 20, now. I haven't noticed much of a difference.
Odd pairing, though. Think Whitney Houston and Kip Dynamite.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Early 30s. They've been amazing parents and are my role models. They had me once they were solidly financially stable and I certainly never wanted for anything in childhood. It's really cool now to be an adult child and spend time with them, and I really look forward to them becoming grandparents. I'm grateful that they haven't pressured me at all in terms of having kids by a certain time (or having kids at all), but I basically desire and plan to follow in their footsteps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
38 and 39, I think.

Basically they were pretty strict when I was younger. Not strict in the academic sense, more like they saw problems with things that were pretty normal for teenagers to do (going to parties for example). I feel like they weren't like that so much because they wanted to protect me, it always felt more like they wanted to make sure I didn't turn out to be "troubled" or "trashy" or whatever.

It mainly impacted me in two ways:

1) I sort of had a superiority complex as a teenager for not being a "partier." Basically I saw all the more social/fun/popular people as dumb and shallow. This was reflected in pretty much everything I did; I even refused to listen to pop music (which I absolutely LOVE now).

2) I lack the... idk... "street smarts" that most people my age have? The main thing I notice is that I don't talk like they do. They say things like "dope" and "bet" and use what could probably be considered AAVE in their everyday language. I envy this, but it just doesn't come naturally to me. I even had to train myself to use certain swear words without thinking because I didn't want them to sound forced, lol.

The other thing I notice is that most people my age seem much more experienced and "grown up" than me. They've gotten high. They've hooked up with a stranger. They've gotten in trouble. I haven't had those experiences and I feel like people automatically sense that about me and treat me like a kid as a result.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My mother was 23 while my father was 27. Young, but not too naive in living life and not knowing consequences. If I think about it, it wasn't a bad time since they weren't old geezers, but they were sorta irresponsible but yet still restricted me. It was like they know they were parents but they're still individual persons. They did their own thing, often not in the presence of me and my siblings, but I saw enough what they like to do.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,943 Posts
Dad was about 43, Mom was around 32. Can't say I ever thought about how age affected their parenting style. Rather it was more their strong religiosity (more so Dad's, Mom just kinda went along with it) that had more of a clear effect on it.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
My mother was 38 and my father 36 year old when they had me. My sister is 6 years older than me.
They didn't plan on having me, I was kind of an accident, but hey, good thing they kept me around, lmao

My father was typical dad, working 24/7 and hardly ever at home. My mother was very old-fashioned, stay at home, taking care of us and other people's kids, making home made food and making sure we had what we needed, at younger age. She gave up her career as chef and restaurant manager for us.

We were pretty free to do whatever we wanted, usually stayed outside the entire day outside of school, hanging out with the kids in the same yard, playing games and socializing, mother yelling from the window it's time to eat. It was pretty idyllic, although we lived in the poorer area of the city. Community was great, though. I don't see similar yard gangs anymore. Like, we knew every kid in the hood and played games with like +15 people joining in cops & burglars hide & seek kinda yard game.

Damn, I'm starting to miss those times now~

·
Registered
♂️ Xennial - Melancholic/Choleric
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dad was about 43, Mom was around 32. Can't say I ever thought about how age affected their parenting style. Rather it was more their strong religiosity (more so Dad's, Mom just kinda went along with it) that had more of a clear effect on it.
In what ways did this religiosity impact you?

My upbringing was completely secular, my dad always mocked the idea of God. I discovered Christianity at the age of 8 and it seemed a forbidden fruit. I miss it sometimes, but I'm too much of a scientist to treat it seriously.

38 and 39, I think.

Basically they were pretty strict when I was younger. Not strict in the academic sense, more like they saw problems with things that were pretty normal for teenagers to do (going to parties for example). I feel like they weren't like that so much because they wanted to protect me, it always felt more like they wanted to make sure I didn't turn out to be "troubled" or "trashy" or whatever.

It mainly impacted me in two ways:

1) I sort of had a superiority complex as a teenager for not being a "partier." Basically I saw all the more social/fun/popular people as dumb and shallow. This was reflected in pretty much everything I did; I even refused to listen to pop music (which I absolutely LOVE now).

2) I lack the... idk... "street smarts" that most people my age have? The main thing I notice is that I don't talk like they do. They say things like "dope" and "bet" and use what could probably be considered AAVE in their everyday language. I envy this, but it just doesn't come naturally to me. I even had to train myself to use certain swear words without thinking because I didn't want them to sound forced, lol.

The other thing I notice is that most people my age seem much more experienced and "grown up" than me. They've gotten high. They've hooked up with a stranger. They've gotten in trouble. I haven't had those experiences and I feel like people automatically sense that about me and treat me like a kid as a result.
I can relate with almost everything, except for the superiority thing. I always felt "worse" because I could not enjoy partying, drunkenness and hook-ups. It seems I always was less "grown up" in terms of fun, but more emotionally mature than my peers. Whenever I tried to do "fun things", I soon felt bored or disgusted. I resisted the emotional maturity my parents gave me.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Mum: 30, Dad: 28, or thereabouts.

All my life, I saw my parents as old/adults, basically "a thing I am not". Their actual age didn't really have any impact on me, I mean it's not like I knew any better.

It's only in the last few years that I've started to have any consideration for how old my parents are. Not because of social/upbringing aspects, but because they're both at the point of turning 60, and so old age is upon them.

Perhaps I would have faced these thoughts sooner if they were young parents, and therefore I would have dealt with the 'getting old' thing in a different way as my younger self.

It's hard to say how this might have an affect either way, because I only know what I know.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My parents were 30 and 33, pretty acceptable age range but my family life was very dysfunctional, especially during my teenage years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My mother was 20. My dad was 24. I think being the very first child of the family is a hard stuff to deal with.
They shrow on you so many expectations that you'll never satisfy.
Without speaking here of their own unresolved conflicts and
proper desires (leading to even more expectations).

Well I do think 20 is not "the right age" if I dare say, to have a baby.
One should (on an idealist point of view) try to know oneself better (and one's partner).

But anyway I also think this way for someone in their 30's and over...

More seriously, I don't think that being able to communicate a real security feeling to a tiny human being depends on age.
But it does about one's background, one's own beliefs, one's personal link to so many things etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts