Votes: 11 24.4%

Votes: 5 11.1%

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most open-minded and 1 being the least, how open-minded would you say you are, overall? And what is your MBTI type? Why did you rate yourself that way?

Reactions: Snowflake Minuet

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
In the true sense of open-mindedness, very, in my younger days, probably more than was good.

Edit: ISTP, I was willing to consider almost any position and sometimes credit the positives too much and overlook the negatives too little...lately I've gotten better about seeing how these things fit the larger picture faster and am then able to take and leave what I like.

Now: 6.
Previously: 8.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
INTP
I think I'm about a 3 and for good reasons. Though I maybe wrong...
I can be somewhat stubborn about things, though everyone is.

So far, from what I've noticed though, is that most people who claim to be super open minded are usually the most closed minded individuals out there. There are very few people out there who we can say are truly open minded.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
ISTP

Honestly, I don't consider myself to be open-minded. I'm very stubborn when it comes to my views and simply tend to block out opinions of others that I find stupid/irritating. I have a tendency to seem more receptive than I really am because I can tolerate being around people whose viewpoints I don't care for, simply because I don't listen to/read their positions.

I'll give myself a 4/10. I've met really closed-minded people and I don't think I'm one of them. I come to recognize many of my mistakes over time, but I need to understand them myself instead of relying on what other people tell me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ENTP
I have a few questions though.
What exactly do we mean by "Open Minded"?
Does it extend beyond not being narrow-minded?
Are we taking into consideration the negative (lack of judgement) of open-mindedness?
Taking that into consideration was what made me rate myself a 9.
I am actually pretty open minded to everything.
This is not really always a good thing. I want to be able to have a more discriminative mind so that I'm not flying everywhere.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would say I'm the open-mindedness god! Anything is possible, so blocking out something or someone is unfair without fully hearing it out. I've had people be closed-minded towards me and it's so frustrating to talk to them, so I try to be the change I want to see!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I consider what people have to say but I look very dismissive cause most people just come at me with the same shit I've heard a million times already so I get annoyed and impatient. I'm pretty tolerant of people who disagree with me, so long as they make sense. I don't judge people for their preferences and stuff. The word "weird" virtually doesn't exist to me. 8 out of 10 I guess. I'm an ISTP btw.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ISTP
7/10
I find it easy to see things from different perspectives which actually makes it difficult to stick to a certain viewpoint because everything seems valid to some extent. I guess I can appear stubborn at times because I tend to not openly sway my opinions, but I do adjust my mindset inwardly.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
8.5-9. INTJ.

(I will try anything once & am highly flexible -- flexibility / adaptability / experimentation is essential to my essence to maintain low levels of depressive-states / stress). If I am very "close-minded," about (X) - it is because I already did (X); or at least, worked out the equation that (X) is inexplicit / and/or simply stupidity, or I have a sufficient understanding of both points. I am am efficiently able to demonstrate how and why I rationalize my rejection to (X, Y, Z) and so forth. Not merely 'closed-off' because I do not like what I am hearing.

If I haven't any knowledge about (X); and I know this, it makes no sense to decide to be, "closed-minded," to it. How can I decide to reject something I have no 'understanding/knowledge' of (&) sit comfortably on (X)-decision on such concepts, ideologies, strategic methods, and et al.

If it is feasible - and quite many thing(s) are feasible, it is worth it to entertain it for awhile in low-grades / trial-error / experimentation. Hit me. Hit me hard. Get risky. Be brave. Take a chance. Dive in. How deep / eccentric / taboo / weird can you go. How much of these "open-minded," thought(s) you keep so discreetly personal are you tough enough to admit to, eh (?)

How much courage do you really have. You say you are a high-functioning close-minded personal protector of your belief(s). Let's see it. I fancy seeing how far such specimen(s) will go to protect them. (re: ritualized-stupidies).

My dread of routines/nothing new/different; but love for structuration & precision always bites me in a painfully good way.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
ESFP

Probably a 10 honestly. I don't recall ever being offended/turned off by an idea after considering it. I might not instinctually like or agree with it, but I don't really pass judgment ever.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,378 Posts
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most open-minded and 1 being the least, how open-minded would you say you are, overall? And what is your MBTI type? Why did you rate yourself that way?
I'm most likely an ISTJ. Not really sure how to rate my open mindedness, but I guess perhaps an 8.

I've observed that people mean different things when they say I'm open-minded or you're not open-minded.

In general open minded merely means willing to consider new ideas. When you get my age (53) there aren't that many new ideas to consider. I've heard and considered most of them already. So this can lead some to accuse me of not being open minded, but when you've already been there and done that many times before the fact that you're not willing to go there again for the 100th time doesn't mean you're close minded. Every once in a great while I encounter a totally new way of looking at an old idea and the analyzation process starts again.

Now if I actually encounter a new idea (happens every once in awhile) that seems to have some degree of merit, I will definitely consider it. In fact sometimes I have troubles arriving at a conclusion because I try to look at new ideas from multiple angles. I tend to analyze new ideas until they bleed, taking forever to form a solid opinion. My propensity for doing this is actually a bit annoying at times. If I jump to a conclusion without thoroughly examining a new idea from multiple angles, I will find myself continually questioning my conclusion and lacking confidence in it.

ETA I admire those who obviously lay aside personal biases and preferences when analyzing ideas. It's all too easy to look for only those things that validate and reinforce what we prefer to believe. I think many if not most unconsciously screen out those things that don't fit their narrative while viewing themselves as open-minded. I think most are guilty of this to varying degrees. I personally strive to avoid doing this, but I'm not going to claim I'm always successful.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm an ISFJ and I chose 7. I pretty much agree with @jamaix . I think I'm fairly open minded because I'm willing to listen to new ideas and different perspectives. I don't think open mindedness necessarily means I'll agree with the other person though, or think all ideas/perspectives are necessarily 'worth' the same, just because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. http://personalitycafe.com/members/jamaix.html

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses so far, everybody. Everyone's doing great on their responses :) Here's how the dictionary defines open-minded:

open-minded

adjective

1.having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments.

2.unprejudiced; unbigoted; impartial.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
INFJ, and I gave myself a 7.

I definitely consider myself to be a very open minded person in general, and open mindedness is a very important value to me as well. Same goes for it being quite important in others I want to have close relationships with.

Maybe I should have said 8, it's always hard to do these! (but fun:).

I can be pretty opinionated, and strong willed, and when I've made up my mind about something and feel strongly about it, in many cases good luck convincing me otherwise...especially if you've gotten even a little on my bad side somehow! But that's pretty much only in quite small-scale situations. I also can be a little bit of a snob in taste and all, but I'm quite aware of it and try not to appear as such, and I see it as a negative thing too, so I guess that's still being relatively open minded--about my semi-closedmindedness in some cases, lol!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm probably close to middle of the road. I'm not fundamentalist close-minded, but I can be at least privately judgmental about what I think is good or sane and what I think is bad, destructive, counter-productive or so on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I gave myself an 8. I'm usually willing to consider new ideas and approaches, and I value open-mindedness very much as well. However, I don't always live up to that ideal. Sometimes I catch myself getting a little "triggered" in my mind when reading/hearing something I strongly disagree with.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm guessing I'm a 6. Also, I'm an INFJ. Now as to why I picked a 6, well, I try to treat everyone well. I acknowledge freely that everyone's point of view is going to be subjective to their life experiences, brain chemistry, physical condition, etc. I accept that cultural, linguistic, and religious differences create inherent biases that people will unconsciously project in stress situations. I also accept that my lifestyle choices bring me solace, but may cause someone else put into them an unbearable level of duress, and vice versa.

All that said, I just didn't feel right rating myself super high, mostly because I've known people who I feel put me to shame on how open minded and accepting they are. Or at least that was the facade they presented when I knew them. Either way, I felt a 6 was sufficient a rating for myself in this case.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I'm open-minded as fuck. But here's the thing....

I'm also a grown ass man that's probably lived 4 lifetimes. So while I am very open minded, I simultaneously have very strong opinions cuz I've experienced this life with extremely open eyes.

If some evangalist tries to convert me to Christianity, I will decline and if their douche bags about it, I will Hannibal Lecter they're imposing beliefs.

Now does that mean I'm close minded? No. In this scenario, I was raised Baptist and live in the Bible Belt and have seen, over and over again the absurd hypocrisy of that religion and....well I could go on, but point is I'm not closed minded to that religion, I've just tried it and don't like it.

Like I'm not close minded to eating mushrooms on my pizza, I just think they're slimy, gross, and taste like ass.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts