Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother you the way other people treat animals? As if they're machines rather than creatures that feel?

If it does, how do you cope with it?

I have a lot of trouble with this myself. I have some neighbours that got a puppy and they leave it caged by its kennel most of the day/night and for the past few weeks I hear it crying and crying throughout the day. Dogs are social creatures and shouldn't be left alone like that. Especially after just being taken from its mother and possible siblings. It stresses me out so much and I get really upset about it. I try to ignore it but I can't. I don't want to create animosity with my neighbours either so I don't want to say anything, plus, if I decide to ring animal services I don't want them to know it was me.

And today when I was looking for an address, I stopped outside a house to make a call. In the window of a shed in the house I saw a kitten crying. The house owners were outside and didn't pay attention to it at all. Some were leaving in the car, others were staying behind in the house. If you have a kitten, why would you put it in the shed and leave it alone there?

I've seen worse things, and you'd think you'd get accustomed to it but I never do.

·
Banned
956 Posts
I've lived with my grandparents for a short period of time when they got puppies and locked them in a cage for the majority of the day too. It stressed me out so much. The puppies cried all the time and were not trained well at all. It was part of the reason why I chose to move out.

I don't know. Sometimes you just have to swallow things like this. You can't ignore it, but you could step away from it and do good on your own.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
The way people treat animals upsets me too. I'm a vegetarian, simply because I don't want to hurt any animals. I love my dogs, and my cat, and even my fish. As funny as it sounds, I treat my fish like people. They make me feel better than people do, that's for sure. I love all the animals, farm animals, domestic animals, and wild animals. I love them all.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
It bothers me as well. Not nearly as much as it bothers you, I would imagine from reading this as I can block it out, but it still bothers me but I'm not in any position to say any different:sad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of countless issues that upset me. As the OP pointed out, calling anyone out will create conflict, and on topics like this it can be very personal and could ruin a relationship. Now I'm asking what's so great about the relationship? Well, it's good to know someone doesn't dislike you, and maybe more so for me as I value security as a 6. But what's really the cost of not speaking up? Oddly, I think I am much more likely to call out bullying then I am to about animal mistreatment.

I think in general I tend to ignore too much, and simply accept that this is the way things are instead of making a change. I personally feel sick whenever I see someone eating your typical fast food. I almost feel worse when the consumer knows how the animals have been treated(I'm a vegetarian for complicated reasons that I've still never sorted out fully. The real question is why do I need a reason? :proud:).

Really what can you do? I know I can do a lot more to make changes, I'd just have to step out of my comfort zone, something I am getting much better at. So I guess we can turn the cheek, or take a million different approaches, but for simplicity of my point you could step up and tell them it's wrong. And if you can't help them without hurting yourself or wasting your time, call the authorities if it is bad. I've personally ignored some things I seriously shouldn't have. If I come across it again I will tell them straight up they need to change or I am calling the cops. I don't regret any past actions I've done, as they made me who I am today.

I don't think you can grow completely accustomed to it, and if you did, you should be afraid.

Those were my wandering thoughts on the matter. Anyways, welcome to PerC.

EDIT: I wanted to mention could the action vs non action be tied to fe vs fi?

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
643 Posts
Actually when I first read the title of this thread, I immediately thought of how I hate it when people dress up their pets against their will, or put chihuahuas in their purses like accessories. Luckily, I haven't witnessed anyone really abuse or neglect their pets firsthand.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I hate it when people get pets just to treat them like garbage! Kicking, neglecting, shouting at/insulting them... Why did you bother to get the poor innocent thing into your home anyway??! People letting out their frustrations, esp anger, on pets, or any living creature, for that matter, is heartbreaking.

The worst part is, you can't do anything. Or can you??

·
Registered
193 Posts
3 weeks ago broke up with my ex, saw his car today, his dog was in there , she saw me and cried, he hits her as he did me, I poked my fingers through the gap to comfort her, she gets tied up all day, he's so thick he doesn't understand her digging, pissing inside at the sight of him are signs of stress, I walked away from that car crying as I am now,she is his prisoner now as I was.fuck this shit.

·
Registered
90 Posts
...yes, I feel very bad for the poor animals. I also feel very very bad for the humans too. They don't know what they are doing...if you tell them they will not understand and consider you a snob/a greenhorn/a weak-hearted child or anything of the sort. That makes my antennas resonate with something which smells like anger. I hope that day when I have the power to help people will come soon, and I will be such a perfectionist about it, nobody will know what exactly hit them but they WILL BE FINE, I will do everything that stays in my power WTF I SOUND LIKE SOME SUPERHERO CHILDREN STUFF
...until then, I just look at people treating animals bad. I look at people treating their children badly. I just hope my deep values will never be insulted in any way directly or I might just unshackle all that hidden anger and and and WE WILL MAKE PANCAKES AND COOKIES WILL EXPLODE IN THE RED SKIES AND EVERYONE WILL LAUGH AND LOVE WAHAHAHA

·
Registered
814 Posts
*sneaks in from the INFP forum*

Very much so. I'm intending to be an RSPCA animal welfare officer in the future.

In just the past couple days, I've found two pages on Facebook with revolting images of dogs being dragged up roads while being attached to a car by rope. Then there was a news story on the same page, about how a man beheaded a group of puppies for 'fun'. The people on the page called him a hero.

Animals give you unconditional love (especially dogs), and they get treated like that?! Even people who test on animals tend to use beagles because they're the most trusting and loyal to humans. I'd like to say that's as far from human as you can get, but really, I think human has become a derogatory term. Calling someone by the name of an animal would mean they have more 'humanity' and compassion than a human being typically does these days. It's shameful.

One of my family members the other day seemed shocked when I said I saw both my sister and my dog as equals. They're both as loving as each-other, they both mean a lot to me and they're both family. Since when did every species but human become inferior?

·
Registered
90 Posts
In just the past couple days, I've found two pages on Facebook with revolting images of dogs being dragged up roads while being attached to a car by rope. Then there was a news story on the same page, about how a man beheaded a group of puppies for 'fun'. The people on the page called him a hero.

Animals give you unconditional love (especially dogs), and they get treated like that?! Even people who test on animals tend to use beagles because they're the most trusting and loyal to humans. I'd like to say that's as far from human as you can get, but really, I think human has become a derogatory term. Calling someone by the name of an animal would mean they have more 'humanity' and compassion than a human being typically does these days. It's shameful.

One of my family members the other day seemed shocked when I said I saw both my sister and my dog as equals. They're both as loving as each-other, they both mean a lot to me and they're both family. Since when did every species but human become inferior?
Wait, what? Beheaded puppies? I'm well aware there's a (refrains from using bad language) lot of BAD but it troubles my mind not to find any explanation for some unnecessary acts of cruelty, oh wait, any cruelty is unnecessary and anyone who thinks otherwise needs to re-think, and re-think some more.

I don't know what kind of karma-new-age-super-cereal-broccoli healing wave of kidness has to hit Earth but I SURE HOPE IT'S COMING or humanity is seriously gonna END itself. Either the BAD will destroy any trace of GOOD or the GOOD is gonna find something somehow to end the BAD. I, for one, only see education as a way. Subtle change of the mind(s).

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I always imagined how it would be if an advanced alien civilisation with an overpowering physical presence and a level of intelligence vastly superior to our own came down, enslaved us and used us for food. Their super evolved minds would operate on a scale beyond our comprehension. We would be "animals" to them.

The basic point being that if you have power over something, then you have a choice as to how you act on it. We have the power to abuse, exploit and consume animals. But we also have the power to protect and care for them. As a vegetarian, I went with the latter.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Does it bother you the way other people treat animals? As if they're machines rather than creatures that feel?

If it does, how do you cope with it?

I have a lot of trouble with this myself. I have some neighbours that got a puppy and they leave it caged by its kennel most of the day/night and for the past few weeks I hear it crying and crying throughout the day. Dogs are social creatures and shouldn't be left alone like that. Especially after just being taken from its mother and possible siblings. It stresses me out so much and I get really upset about it. I try to ignore it but I can't. I don't want to create animosity with my neighbours either so I don't want to say anything, plus, if I decide to ring animal services I don't want them to know it was me.

And today when I was looking for an address, I stopped outside a house to make a call. In the window of a shed in the house I saw a kitten crying. The house owners were outside and didn't pay attention to it at all. Some were leaving in the car, others were staying behind in the house. If you have a kitten, why would you put it in the shed and leave it alone there?

I've seen worse things, and you'd think you'd get accustomed to it but I never do.
Any form of animal neglect is big on the list of things that upset me deeply.

How a person treats animals greatly makes a difference in my level of respect for said person. I'd protect an animal as I would a child :happy: To me, animals have as just as much right if not more right to be respected than people, they were here before us after all.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
I don't really understand why so many people choose to get so irritated by something like a dog barking. That's what dogs do. It's not really any different from a baby crying or you talking. It's how they communicate. People who dislike animals (unless they've had a traumatic experience with one) sort of unnerve me. If that's how they view animals I don't see how their view of their fellow man could be too much better. If you see animals as some sort of inconvenience most likely you will view people the same way.

·
Registered
642 Posts
You know, we always wish to save the world but sometimes it is contrary with the rules to keep this world sane. That's why we suck it up and hope for the best for these poor animals.
But have no fear, that's what persuades us to make us "superbeings!"
:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Actually when I first read the title of this thread, I immediately thought of how I hate it when people dress up their pets against their will, or put chihuahuas in their purses like accessories. Luckily, I haven't witnessed anyone really abuse or neglect their pets firsthand.
I put my Chihuahua in my purse if we go for a long walk. I will let her walk with me as far as she can, but she eventually gets tired with those tiny legs. And since my hands stay cold she likes to nuzzle herself down in my bag and enjoy the ride (me) on the way home. Now people like Paris Hilton who keep their poor pups crammed in their purses for hours on end deserve to be smacked. 

Now to the OP. Yes, the treatment of animals really bothers me. Mostly my own mother's treatment of them. I have the utmost respect for this woman, but I have called her a "Selfish idiot" three times in my life. 1. When she bought my nephew a bunny (which is outside in a small cage with almost no interaction. 2. When she bought my nephew a hound dog (who is tied in the yard, covered in fleas, and gets even less social interaction than the rabbit. and finally 3. When she starts talking about finding my nephew a turtle. 

I am well aware that my nephew has had a hard life, but he is an immature, cruel, and a psychologically stunted child. He does not care about, nor does he care for the animals he already has. Animals are not lawn ornaments, they are living beings. How can anyone expect mercy from the God above us if we mistreat the animals he put under our care? It's disgusting.

I live in a very backwater area, and animals are seen as items here. I got my dog because some idiot was selling Chihuahua puppies at the flea market. These poor things were too young to sell, malnourished, and every single one of them had wounds (I refuse to imagine from what.) I, and some others, bought every single pup he had that day. He was overjoyed with his profits!!! Until he realized that half of us had called the police. The officers nearly cried when they saw the state of those poor babies. My Milli grew up to be a bit timid, and if someone wearing a belt comes in she panics, but she's healthy now.

It's so bad around here that there is a hush-hush agreement with the police that if you buy a fox, opossum, or wolf pup from a poacher and turn them in, they will release the animal or send it to the local zoo for you. This is a great idea, but it should never have been needed in the first place. Who decided that honor, decency, and basic respect do not count toward animals?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts