Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, my friend was being very kind.

Friend: You are just... such a good person. You care about others. You constantly think about what other people are thinking, how to make other people more comfortable, and how to make others feel good. You go out of your way to please others. That's what makes you such an undeniably good person.
Me On The Outside: Thank you, you're so kind...
Me On The Inside: Okay, but I'm actually just an Fe-dom, which means this is my natural disposition!

I've been wondering about it for a while now. How responsible are we for or given characteristics? When someone tells an N-dominant they think so "outside the box," does that mean anything? They're an N-dominant. Most things they think could be classified as "outside the box," and yet that's no testament to them. You could tell an INTP they're "incredibly logical," but again, that's what they do naturally. Or is it fair? A part of me thinks it has to be fair and valid still... but it makes me wonder. I mean, you shouldn't do what my parents do and look at my ESTJ sister and go "alittlebear was so nice when she was little -- why aren't you that way? Alittlebear was always respectful and knew her place and helped -- why can't you do that?" just as it's unfair of them to say t me "your sister is so smart... why can't you be that way? She's so organized -- shouldn't you be like that?

Another example of this dilemma is within celebrities. Ivy Azalea, for instance. I had a conversation with my Iggy Azalea - fan friend about how I didn't like Iggy Azalea because she didn't seem considerate of others. But then I thought... what if she's just an Fi user? The same goes for comparing Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. One is an Fe user, while the other is an Fi user. You can't expect the Fi user to be super crowd pleasing and to give her all for her fans. That's just not fair, right?

Sorry, this topic is getting long. I'm trying to figure out the question I'm yearning to ask.

Essentially, how responsible are we for the traits naturally bestowed on us by our cognitive functions?

1,239 Posts
Yeah me too. Really what it's asking how in control are we of our own actions, so is there a 'mind behind the mind' or are we just animals reacting to our environment? This is maybe part of the reason I can't hate anybody, because I believe in the latter mainly, so I see all humans as innocent as animals really. I don't think there's any right or wrong way to answer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I consider that is the duty of each one of us to be better in what we lack (if makes sense to you and without losing our essence), that's how I see MBTI (and of course with a little praising for myself hahah); what you said about admire a trait of someone or don't, that's why we can't judge, just get away from someone who has a trait you really feel you wanna stab the person for... and admiration I guess is because we ''look for our own voice but in others''.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yeah me too. Really what it's asking how in control are we of our own actions, so is there a 'mind behind the mind' or are we just animals reacting to our environment? This is maybe part of the reason I can't hate anybody, because I believe in the latter mainly, so I see all humans as innocent as animals really. I don't think there's any right or wrong way to answer.
Uuuuuuu there is a mind behind the mind (unconscious mind). The difference is how aware you are of the mind and how aware you are of your awareness... There's an animal, there's an observer, there's a feeler in you. Then there's you, one that has a name and has an identity. And then there's also an awareness of everything happening and of why it's happening.

I have a hard time judging people too, cuz we are just people, having grown where we have, having learned what was there to learn. Some of us don't know any better. But I think a responsibility is when you are aware of your characteristics, natural or not, their destructive nature, but choose to ignore that, because "hey, that's me".

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Fe dominant doesn't automatically mean nice though. If someone comments on your kindness, then that is your doing. Just how INTPs aren't automatically smart (I'd actually venture to say that Patrick Star from Spongebob is probably an INTP) and just how there are probably ENTJ janitors out there.
Mental inclinations may create the person, but a person controls their behavior and their actions.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Me On The Inside: Okay, but I'm actually just an Fe-dom, which means this is my natural disposition!
Just wanted to point out that the fact that someone is a Fe-dom doesn't automatically makes them a good, thoughtful, considerate and caring person. I'm sure you can easily think about real life or fictional examples of Fe doms behaving very cruelly, wanting to make other people suffer etc. You are a "good" or "bad" person because of your actions, not your MBTI type.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers
1,239 Posts
Uuuuuuu there is a mind behind the mind (unconscious mind). The difference is how aware you are of the mind and how aware you are of your awareness... There's an animal, there's an observer, there's a feeler in you. Then there's you, one that has a name and has an identity. And then there's also an awareness of everything happening and of why it's happening.

I have a hard time judging people too, cuz we are just people, having grown where we have, having learned what was there to learn. Some of us don't know any better. But I think a responsibility is when you are aware of your characteristics, natural or not, their destructive nature, but choose to ignore that, because "hey, that's me".
Yea but you are aware of your characteristics through the lense of your own mind, the person that says 'hey, that's me' is still the same person, not some all knowing entity aware of the absolute rights and wrongs of it's own thoughts... if that makes any sense (just my view)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just wanted to point out that the fact that someone is a Fe-dom doesn't automatically makes them a good, thoughtful, considerate and caring person. I'm sure you can easily think about real life or fictional examples of Fe doms behaving very cruelly, wanting to make other people suffer etc. You are a "good" or "bad" person because of your actions, not your MBTI type.
What are some bad fictional Fe-doms? What are they like?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
What are some bad fictional Fe-doms? What are they like?
The best example would be Regina George from Mean Girls, ESFJ. I think the movie speaks for itself. Manipulative, two faced, enjoying tormenting others.

I think Constance Langdon from American Horror Story is an ENFJ, quite terrible person too.

Reactions: mikan

·
Registered
986 Posts
The best example would be Regina George from Mean Girls, ESFJ. I think the movie speaks for itself. Manipulative, two faced, enjoying tormenting others.

I think Constance Langdon from American Horror Story is an ENFJ, quite terrible person too.
Not fictional, but I kind of thought about Hitler for a moment.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Not fictional, but I kind of thought about Hitler for a moment.
Possible, people usually type him as INFJ though. But INFJs are still Fe aux, still strong Fe users.

1,239 Posts
Fe dominant doesn't automatically mean nice though. If someone comments on your kindness, then that is your doing. Just how INTPs aren't automatically smart (I'd actually venture to say that Patrick Star from Spongebob is probably an INTP) and just how there are probably ENTJ janitors out there.
Mental inclinations may create the person, but a person controls their behavior and their actions.
Lmao at Patrick being INTP XD

But yeah I agree. My friend is an INTP and if I try to bring up some deep, philosophical topics he just says its sum or makes a joke about it lol.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know that, he is INFJ. His secondary is extroverted feeling.
Yes, and they're not so much different from ENFJs, quite a lot of similarities, so it's no wonder that you'd think about him.

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
The world is so great. Like, I know that there is someone out there who would be willing to join me in a suicide pact.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
The other night, my friend was being very kind.

Friend: You are just... such a good person. You care about others. You constantly think about what other people are thinking, how to make other people more comfortable, and how to make others feel good. You go out of your way to please others. That's what makes you such an undeniably good person.

I've been wondering about it for a while now. How responsible are we for or given characteristics? When someone tells an N-dominant they think so "outside the box," does that mean anything? They're an N-dominant. Most things they think could be classified as "outside the box," and yet that's no testament to them. You could tell an INTP they're "incredibly logical," but again, that's what they do naturally. Or is it fair? A part of me thinks it has to be fair and valid still... but it makes me wonder. I mean, you shouldn't do what my parents do and look at my ESTJ sister and go "alittlebear was so nice when she was little -- why aren't you that way? Alittlebear was always respectful and knew her place and helped -- why can't you do that?" just as it's unfair of them to say t me "your sister is so smart... why can't you be that way? She's so organized -- shouldn't you be like that?

Another example of this dilemma is within celebrities. Ivy Azalea, for instance. I had a conversation with my Iggy Azalea - fan friend about how I didn't like Iggy Azalea because she didn't seem considerate of others. But then I thought... what if she's just an Fi user? The same goes for comparing Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. One is an Fe user, while the other is an Fi user. You can't expect the Fi user to be super crowd pleasing and to give her all for her fans. That's just not fair, right?

Sorry, this topic is getting long. I'm trying to figure out the question I'm yearning to ask.

Essentially, how responsible are we for the traits naturally bestowed on us by our cognitive functions?
I think I understand what you are saying and funnily enough was speaking about it the other day, in my instance, the INFP type as an example:

I think people need to know that we are just human, we aren't 100% perfect despite the title - the idealist. INFP's aren't immune to jealousy, bitterness, holding grudges, lying and all the other flaws that humans experience, that's right, we even have to go to the toilet(all puns welcome!)
Of course though, you don't have to share your values, that's not what MBTI is even about, it just tells you your primary mode of focus rather than how you need to compete or how you should be - this is an essential trend i've also picked up on, I don't know whether it does relate to the bias of certain functions, I wouldn't want to correlate the two out of principle towards the jungian system and because of how hazy this area is. The back to frontness in how it appears to myself, the way some people don't go into MBTI to necessary learn but to compete and to talk about functions in terms of pitting them against each other are going about it all the wrong way which only serves for them to shoot themselves in the foot, they dumb themselves down are do themselves a great intellectual disservice. And threads like these one's, although this may well have a different premise, other one's like this designed to pit types against each other are based on this faulty competition, there are qualities in the INFP type that no other type will surpass except those that are remarkably similar in functional set-up and even then, it's a comparison, not a competition. We could discuss more of the topic of competitive approaches towards MBTI but maybe for another time.
So I'm from the position that this typology has evolved(or devolved) into 'ought's, must's and should's. We also use this typology to branch out and better ourselves, I don't see what the problem is with imitating other behaviours as influenced by our culture that may happen to be a different function than the one we predominate with. Cognition doesn't come with rules and your innate preferences don't actually change just because you adopt attitudes and behaviours(which btw behaviour is not a reliable indicator of attitudes as they overlap e.g Fe and Fi). A percentage of our psyche, existence etc is innate preferences and the other a mixture of cultural memories, cultural values, upbringing, mental health etc. From a wider perspective, what purpose does following typology rules and applying them to yourself become reasonable, do these self and outer imposed rules develop you as a person or pull you back? It's quite concerning how many people who study typology develop a mindset that starts to run in quite an unnatural way, becoming robotic towards a human-based subject. So just keep in mind to look out for you and use typology for it's uses but understand it's limits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a janitor!

I'm not stupid, though. I'm just lazy, impractical, insecure and lacking in social graces or useful qualifications.

Which isn't to suggest that I thought you were trying to dismiss janitors as morons.

Personally I like to cheer myself up by thinking of the Janitor from Scrubs.

(This didn't really have anything to do with anything, sorry. Please continue having an intelligent discussion).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yea but you are aware of your characteristics through the lense of your own mind, the person that says 'hey, that's me' is still the same person, not some all knowing entity aware of the absolute rights and wrongs of it's own thoughts... if that makes any sense (just my view)
Absolutely, but the awareness simply helps to know where your characteristic starts, how it extroverts itself, where it leads and then you are able to either (consciously) let it go or keep indulging in it.

My comment didn't really talk about responsibility for characteristics, just about the complexity of our, kh khm...., minds :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
A little off topic, but this is a different angle for me. I just tried typing myself yesterday and it seemed like an epic failure. I came out with INTP and then read the description. They sound too intelligent to be me. I'm an unemployed high school drop out. It's hard to relate to a title like "The Thinkers". But maybe my test wasn't an epic failure. Is it possible that some thinkers over think things but aren't necessarily any good at thinking?

·
Registered
31,249 Posts
It's not true. A healthy INTP would be seeking to follow his insight into a universal mind. An unhealthy one would steal money from people at gunpoint.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts