Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 648 tritype The Truth Teller so~sx
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone with a heart and head fix first, I tend to have difficulties to get in touch with my gut fix, which is Eight. That seems to cause me problems, especially depression and anxiety. I feel like a slave to my emotions. I saw my psychotherapist today and we talked about my emotions, especially the negative ones... She said the way I deal with them is not doing me any good when I absorb them, withdraw with them and then get depressed. One should not live only in her head.

I guess I should dissolve my emotions somehow, not be a prisoner or a slave to them... And I totally relate this to the implementation of the gut fix, balanced fixes would make me more balanced. Obviously, activation of my Eight fix is just hard. I feel having lost the channel for my emotions to go outward, all they do is accumulate inside me and then outburst occasionally. Any ideas how to learn to activate the most neglected center, in my case the gut fix? Especially when you are depressed and tend to ignore your gut fix? How do you deal with your last fix anyway?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've been away for a little while, so sorry for not responding to your mention in the instinct questionnaire thread. In your post there, I see that you said that you are an ENFP 4w5 Sx/Sp with a 468 tritype.

I have a few questions:
- What's your full type?
- What are your wings for head and gut fixes?
- Is your head fix phobic or counterphobic?
- With your gut fix, do you feel anger but suppress it and hold it in, do you openly express it and let it out, or do you hardly ever feel it?
- Do you have trouble venting or expressing your emotions?

I'd like to help (and we're both ENFP's with similar enneagram tritypes, so I might be able to relate) but I'd like some more information.

Edit: If I had to guess right now, I'd say you probably have an 8w9 gut fix and that your 6 head fix is not strongly counterphobic. I'm looking for a leverage point, somewhere that you can focus your efforts that will effect a much greater change. There has to be some way to get at your emotions and release them.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, I never meant to ask for individual advice, just general. But I am delighted you replied, @Bumblyjack ! ^_^ This might be a bit *erm* but I have been somewhat interested about you lately since you seem to share so many "labels" with me - and I do not mean that one is its label but closest to that particular label... Indeed, I do think I am an ENFP 4w5, tritype 468 and sx/sp. It took me some time to recognize my tritype, subtypes and cognitive functions but now those seem quite obvious.

I have a few questions:
- What's your full type?
- What are your wings for head and gut fixes?
- Is your head fix phobic or counterphobic?
- With your gut fix, do you feel anger but suppress it and hold it in, do you openly express it and let it out, or do you hardly ever feel it?
- Do you have trouble venting or expressing your emotions?
I feel I am most likely 4w5>6w7>8w9. I can be either phobic or counter-phobic... But I guess I could say that most times I am forced to rely on my head fix I am more phobic than counter-phobic, I am chaotic.

Anger is a problem area for me... Not because I couldn't tolerate being angry, I could allow myself to be angry. But I can't always get in touch with it. Somehow it is not really easy for me to express it consciously. When I have troubles, I usually only withdraw with my feelings and frustration, get depressed without knowing how to get energy outwards.

But I do express anger, somewhat unconsciously though. I can be quite rude when I am overly stressed, I no longer care about the feelings of others as much as usually. I can defend myself and others too. I have defended the bullied ones and I am usually only delighted to ring the bell if people are walking in the MIDDLE of the cycleway... I may feel embarrassed afterwards but I'll do it eagerly. I just wish I would have more control over my Eight fix, I both love and hate my own outbursts. I love that I can, at times, have the "Don't mess with me" attitude but I don't always like or benefit from the fact that I can be so controlling and reactive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess I should dissolve my emotions somehow, not be a prisoner or a slave to them... And I totally relate this to the implementation of the gut fix, balanced fixes would make me more balanced. Obviously, activation of my Eight fix is just hard. I feel having lost the channel for my emotions to go outward, all they do is accumulate inside me and then outburst occasionally. Any ideas how to learn to activate the most neglected center, in my case the gut fix? Especially when you are depressed and tend to ignore your gut fix? How do you deal with your last fix anyway?
For me, just forcing myself, tolerating the anxiety and discomfort that come with it. Doing it even though it is an unfamiliar thing and I can't predict how it's going to turn out afterwards and what sort of state I'm going to find myself in.

You seem to already know what you need to do, i.e. express your emotions verbally and take action on their behalf in a timely manner (i.e. not withdrawing and getting depressed). I don't think it has to be more complicated than that. You are already aware of the unconscious element.

In my case as a 7 my heart fix is last. So it's a question of really exploring and connecting with my feelings and the truth of my subjective, personal experience. It was really scary and intense when I first started to do this with a conscious intention and commitment. I felt like I was exploding. But now I'm getting used to it and seeing how necessary it is and how it benefits me positively. So now when I do it it feels much less threatening.

Maybe you have to go through a similar process in the gut area of action and self-assertiveness? Just a thought. I don't know your full situation, but this is how dealing with my last fix has been for me. I find then that the emotions themselves don't have to be "dissolved" per se, they become naturally less intense and don't manifest in outbursts so much. They flow and move more smoothly.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
For me my gut fix is also last (9w1). I feel pretty balanced lately and am not too depressed, but sometimes I do express my anger *too* much, when really I should "live and let live." But more recently I've learned to experience 9 in a positive way, without suppressing my anger or denying it, but also being more assertive.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
Any ideas how to learn to activate the most neglected center, in my case the gut fix? Especially when you are depressed and tend to ignore your gut fix? How do you deal with your last fix anyway?
It would seem to me that, as a four, rather than trying to tap into your eight gut fix you'd want to work towards integrating to one.

Personally, I think tritype might be okay in helping someone grasp the nuances of their personality type, but as far as improving health goes, I think line of integration is where it's at. So, as a four... viewing your situation more objectively, developing productive self-discipline, maintaining healthy habits that you continue even when you don't feel emotionally 'up to it'.

In general, I find that I tend to have difficulty living in the physical realm. What helps me is to start moving. Once I start acting in a more instinctual fashion, everything in my life tends to improve. It can be as basic as sweeping the floor or strolling around the neighborhood, feeling a part of my surroundings in a physical, animalistic way, recognizing the animal in myself. It doesn't have to be anything major, especially to begin with.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
As a 1 I tend to look at the meaning some something and how I feel about it and this is why 1s are so resentful of others actions so often. I've found growth in adopting an 8-like concern on how things work and how they could bring harm to me. This allows me to use my weakest Thinking center more and focus on how the world works without focusing on moral beliefs too often. To understand the world without characterizing it is the goal.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I don't deal with the different parts of my enneagram type(s) in such a compartmentalized way - I feel like that would be a good way for me to avoid actually dealing with and changing negative behaviours and patterns and just allow me to stay in my head intellectualizing things. I tend to look more specifically at my core type and what integration looks like - the more integrated you become the more each of your fixes will align and become further balanced.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what it is you want to work on - not getting sucked into your emotions and have a way to express them outwardly. For a lot of people, they don't realize how separate emotions (physical feelings in your body) and thoughts (your ego reaction to the physical feelings) are. They assume their thoughts are the truth but thoughts are another way to disconnect us from our bodies. If we're lost in thought about how angry/sad/upset we are, we don't give ourselves the opportunity to feel the physical sensations of our emotions - and often just letting those physical sensations flow through our bodies allows the emotions to pass much quicker.

I find getting in touch with my body is a big part of staying grounded and healthy for me. I do mindfulness practice to keep them in tune. Often this includes things like yoga, meditation, body scans, mindful breathing, acupuncture, massage, silent exercise, mindful walking. Strictly exercising doesn't usually do much because you're still mindlessly going through the motions. For me, it's really important to be totally present with my body concentrating on the breath or different sensations in my body. Otherwise I could be sitting there and be lost in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When I have troubles, I usually only withdraw with my feelings and frustration, get depressed without knowing how to get energy outwards.
Judging from your other thread, it seems you've figured some things out. Now this makes a lot more sense: it sounds like a problem related to having a neglected heart center and having 4w5 as your third fix.

I'm not sure what will work for you, but I'll describe how I get a hold of my emotional energy, convert it, and direct it outwards in order to get rid of it. With my heart fix, I have the same natural tendency to hold emotions in and let them tear me up inside. I get rid of them through my gut and head fixes.

My 9w1 gut fix says righteous anger is okay and desirable when something is "wrong" in a moral sense. My counterphobic 6w5 head fix says that fears, challenges, and threats should be defiantly faced head on. I can easily convert the emotional energy from my 4w5 heart fix into both of these by thinking of a way in which the situation is threatening my or someone else's rights, identity, or safety. I then just burn off this anger in a non-destructive way: listen to loud music, sing, drive fast, work out/play sports/hard work, wear a wicked smirk on my face, etc. Keep the goodness in and let my inner devil out.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Judging from your other thread, it seems you've figured some things out. Now this makes a lot more sense: it sounds like a problem related to having a neglected heart center and having 4w5 as your third fix.

I'm not sure what will work for you, but I'll describe how I get a hold of my emotional energy, convert it, and direct it outwards in order to get rid of it. With my heart fix, I have the same natural tendency to hold emotions in and let them tear me up inside. I get rid of them through my gut and head fixes.

My 9w1 gut fix says righteous anger is okay and desirable when something is "wrong" in a moral sense. My counterphobic 6w5 head fix says that fears, challenges, and threats should be defiantly faced head on. I can easily convert the emotional energy from my 4w5 heart fix into both of these by thinking of a way in which the situation is threatening my or someone else's rights, identity, or safety. I then just burn off this anger in a non-destructive way: listen to loud music, sing, drive fast, work out/play sports/hard work, wear a wicked smirk on my face, etc. Keep the goodness in and let my inner devil out.
Thanks for your reply, quite insightful and a great comparison to someone who also has 4w5 in tritype, sx/sp and ENFP issues! Yeah... I actually thought of being a Seven a while ago too, again switched to 4w5 when I had a depressed period. I guess I have had the same problems than many other Sevens here, I am not the stereotypical Seven, some little things are against my values and make me feel I cannot be that type... But when I forget all those, I fit very well to type Seven.

Heh, you do not have Seven in your tritype though but yeah, I need the stimulation... Just yesterday I noticed this. I had to wait for something for a few minutes and, unlike usually, I chose not to read anything while waiting. I just sat there - well, I was a bit anxious and felt too active to focus on reading. But I had to wait longer than I thought. I came annoyed. I started to think all the things I could have done while just sitting there and waiting...

I do not know if I could entertain myself by doing nothing, I never do such a thing. When I'm feeling energetic and not depressed, I even go to bed (to sleep) only when I am so tired I do not have to spend time there awake doing nothing. Usually I read something until I feel too tired. And I do seem to stimulate myself constantly. I do many things at the same time, for example listen to music, read, eat. At the computer I tend to have several issues open at the same time and then I jump between them. I start something and do it as long as I wish and then have another option when the previous one has been seen. I carry book or something interesting to read everywhere I go so if I have to eat my lounch alone, I will have something to amuse me.

It's a mystery why I tend to get so depressed every now and then but even my reaction to that seems quite Sevenish, it is definitely not a tempting state for me, I try to avoid it but sometimes everything is against me and I have a very, very low tolerance for frustration. It has helped when I have started to be able to use my Eight fix though, it gives me huge amounts of energy. I've just noticed that when I'm feeling a bit low, I can get over it by getting angry, it fills me with energy.

It felt weird to put the 4w5 fix to the last since I could relate to it so well but I guess it wasn't a very healthy state for me. I was so depressed... sx/sp Sevens are actually described having quite similar issues than Fours. Also having auxiliary Fi probably explains something.

Sexual/Self-pres

The energy of the sexual instinct is, in some ways, at odds with the type Seven fixation. The Seven’s focus is future oriented and outward, away from the inner world, while the sexual variant is instinctual and dwells on the inner self as far as relationships and identity are concerned. This combination can make for a Seven that can be Four-like in many ways. They can have a flamboyant style and be very moody and intense. In relationships, there is often a push-pull quality. They are very attracted to the falling in love part. The buzz and high of that is very stimulating to them, almost drug-like for them. Their problems come when that buzz wears off. They want to recreate it again and again, but they also have a way of becoming attached and sometimes very dependent on their romantic partners. On the down side, they can be very clingy but don’t want at the same time to lose their freedom. When unhealthy, they can be very selfish in these relationships, things become one-sided in a way that favors the interests of the Seven.

The sexual/self-pres Seven’s addictive behavior with relationships can extend to other areas, like music, and performing in general. The rock star image and lifestyle can be attractive to the sexual Seven. Many rock stars are sexual Sevens the buzz they experience from music can be similar to what they experience in relationships. Creativity can also function as a release of frustration from the boredom.

Btw, when I changed my user name, I considered FreeSpirit but rejected it because there were so many similar names. Yesterday I noticed that was used for 7w8 xD That is my dream, that is how I feel when I feel good, that is how I want to feel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts