Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the title.

·
Registered
211 Posts
How frequently are you eating? If you're eating significantly less than you were better to spread it out and eat more often. Don't limit yourself to breaking it up into three times daily. Drink a fair bit of water to, dehydration will make it worse. Pay mind to what you're eating as well. If you're getting your calories from a piece of cake it's just going to burn through quick; vegetables will fill you up more and take longer to digest, giving you a more steady injection of energy.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
How about instead of self-imposed malnutrition, go for a clever diet that doesn't make you feel faint.

It's a bit self-destructive, methinks?

P.S. it might be low salt levels.

4,926 Posts
Maybe up your calorie intake and do more exercise? Should give yourself enough calories a day to give you energy.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about instead of self-imposed malnutrition, go for a clever diet that doesn't make you feel faint.

It's a bit self-destructive, methinks?

P.S. it might be low salt levels.
How frequently are you eating? If you're eating significantly less than you were better to spread it out and eat more often. Don't limit yourself to breaking it up into three times daily. Drink a fair bit of water to, dehydration will make it worse. Pay mind to what you're eating as well. If you're getting your calories from a piece of cake it's just going to burn through quick; vegetables will fill you up more and take longer to digest, giving you a more steady injection of energy.
You are not really supposed to feel this way. You are probably overdoing it.
I mean when it always happens when I am at any kcal deficit - that is when I get hungry (as opposed to just wanting to eat something - according to my calculation I start feeling hungry and dizzy somewhere around 100-50kcal surplus).

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,009 Posts
I mean when it always happens when I am at any kcal deficit - that is when I get hungry (as opposed to just wanting to eat something - according to my calculation I start feeling hungry and dizzy somewhere around 100-50kcal surplus).
how many meals do you have in a day? try to spread them out a bit so you don't get insanely hungry and dizzy but still have a deficit.
have you ever tested your blood glucose levels?
what's your weight and height? how many kcal do you eat?

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how many meals do you have in a day? try to spread them out a bit so you don't get insanely hungry and dizzy but still have a deficit.
I usually eat when I get hungry. Or some 100kcal before.

have you ever tested your blood glucose levels?
Yes. There weren't any problems with it.

what's your weight and height? how many kcal do you eat?
140kg, 194cm. For caloric balance I need about 3500-3750kcal a day.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,330 Posts
I just realized that's probably what's going on with me. I started fasting seriously during Lent, but I also lost my appetite when I became severely depressed, and I just got used to eating less. Some days I only eat a meal a day. I haven't worked out in a while, but I have a job that requires some physical activity as well as being on my feet all day. Recently I have noticed I feel "lighter" like kind of light headed I guess. I don't drink as much water as I used to either. On the plus side, I'm down to my lowest weight since I was maybe 18 or 19 though.

@HAL Do you mean low sodium levels or low salt levels? I feel like salt would make you more thirsty, but I could be wrong.

Also, does anyone know if you'd lose weight slower or faster if you started working out while also maintaining a pretty huge deficit like one or two meals a day?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Do you mean low sodium levels or low salt levels? I feel like salt would make you more thirsty, but I could be wrong.

Also, does anyone know if you'd lose weight slower or faster if you started working out while also maintaining a pretty huge deficit like one or two meals a day?
I think it's just plain old salt. A load of salt in the mouth gives you a horrible thirsty feeling, but a normal amount is essential for water retention and other stuff.

A common replacement for isotonic sports drinks is a simple cup of water with salt and lemon juice added. Not too much salt though. The best way to describe it is like seawater with a lemony taste.

And also... Of course you would lose weight faster if you start working out while maintaining a huge calorie deficit... You're burning energy and don't have the calories to replace it.

Sounds like your sole aim is to lose weight and you want quick results.

Fastest way I lost weight to uber-trim levels was through long-distance trekking. If you have time, I highly recommend you get yourself a week of free time, fill a rucksack and go on a proper hike - mountains, etc, the works. And carry all your own gear. Take a friend or go in a group. It's really fun and you feel great afterwards.

They say mid-level heart rates are best for weight loss. Trekking is usually around this range. I've definitely felt fittest after trekking. I used to do the odd short-distance run too. It helped but the trekking was the big winner for me.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Are you trying to lose WEIGHT or body fat?

Because eating at a severe deficit will likely result in loss of lean body mass, which is not ideal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In response to your original question... I think everyone else has covered the "try eating" bit.

The best way to counteract dizziness is to wiggle your toes and clench and release the muscles in your legs. It might also be worth carrying glucose gel or boiled sweets with you. You will soon know if it is your blood sugar dropping if you feel okay after eating a sweet. I can usually stop myself fainting just by wiggling my toes, if I still feel a little light headed I put my feet higher than my head (laying on the floor with feet up against a wall).

In all honesty, I would be a little worried if I was feeling dizzy after changing my diet. I would probably try again but a bit more gradually.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's very likely you have hypoglycemia. also, if this is because you are dieting, you are doing it all wrong.
Eating more carbs doesn't help. Also, even eating 30% cream relieves the dizziness/confusion. Seems to be linked only to amount of calories.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,009 Posts
Eating more carbs doesn't help. Also, even eating 30% cream relieves the dizziness/confusion. Seems to be linked only to amount of calories.
You might be experiencing insulin resistance symptoms. You really aren't supposed to be feeling dizzy with only a few calories below, it's likely something else. If it's not pathological, it could be psychological.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I didn't say anything about carbs yet (I have a preference for low carb diets myself, though I will not pretend to be an expert).

additionally,
1)exactly how many calories are you eating to begin with? a friend of mine has hypoglycemia and has successfully gone from 265 pounds to 203 (in about a year or so) by restricting his calories to around 1700 a day and working out regularly. if you're not eating enough, it can throw off your body and do a nasty number on your metabolism.
2) what macro nutrient ratios are you eating (carbs vs fat vs protein)? the ideal proportions will vary considerably based on individual situation, but regardless, they're important to take note of (personally, I have a preference for more protein-rich diets overall, but again, I can't exactly give an expert opinion here)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Do you drink coffee? Coffee can make you hypoglycemic. Especially if you are not eating much. As a coffee addict myself, I can say it makes me hypoglycemic and unable to function in any way until I've had a meal unless I fuel before and a little bit during the drinking of coffee. I eat at least three eggs for breakfast and I snack all morning on anything that is available, though I do avoid sweets and heavy carbs like muffins and bagels.

If it is hypoglycemia and you are drinking coffee on a calorie restricted diet, I would suspect the two are related. Quitting coffee sucks. But after the headaches are gone, you will know if you are not getting hypoglycemic anymore on the same diet.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
How often do you workout? If you workout, say, Monday to Friday, you definitely need more calories from all the energy lost through those exercises.
What is your daily life like? Do you lead a sedentary lifestyle, or do you walk/stand around a lot? This is also something that many people tend to look over. If you work at a job that makes you walk around a lot, added with regular exercises at home or at the gym, then you're definitely in need of extra calories to keep your body happy and healthy.

Don't be afraid to eat. Eat clean, wholesome food. You're doing a great job!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts