Personality Cafe banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Find me a study where they tested individuals who didn't build a tolerance to coffee/caffeine. It also didn't mention too much about the dietary food intake that was consumed during this test period as well.
I believe you made a point that coffee prevents hydration by preventing body uptaking water, which coffee seems not to do, according to multiple source available trough search engine, that is the myth.

Caffeine tolerance is then another subject, in my opinion.

I don't drink coffee as it has similarity to drugs, you will need more to get same effect and even more, which is effect of building tolerance to caffeine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I believe you made a point that coffee prevents hydration by preventing body uptaking water, which coffee seems not to do, according to multiple source available trough search engine, that is the myth.

Caffeine tolerance is then another subject, in my opinion.

I don't drink coffee as it has similarity to drugs, you will need more to get same effect and even more, which is effect of building tolerance to caffeine.
I was looking at the studies. Their studies have a bit of a flaw, as they don't track the person's intake for more than a few days. It doesn't take into consideration their tolerance levels, which is actually fundamental to the studies, as it could affect the experiment itself on how well water was retained.

There was also no control group, with non-coffee drinkers, being tested.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was looking at the studies. Their studies have a bit of a flaw, as they don't track the person's intake for more than a few days. It doesn't take into consideration their tolerance levels, which is actually fundamental to the studies, as it could affect the experiment itself on how well water was retained.

There was also no control group, with non-coffee drinkers, being tested.
True, there is little amount of studies and too great ones, these are probably what there is:
BBC - Future - Do coffee and tea really dehydrate us?
Coffee Hydrates as Well as Water, Study Says – [email protected]

It does look that what studies there is, currently coffee does not cause dehydration, until better study with more proper coffee amounts comes out, I guess those are studies we must rely on?

Still, I too share view that ditching coffee would be good.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I drink coffee daily. Usually just one cup a day, but sometimes if I don't eat enough, I'll get lightheaded, dizzy, heart palpitations etc. a few hours later. I'm assuming it's low blood sugar, because I've gotten the same symptoms from not eating for a long time. But usually I only have this problem if I drink coffee on an empty stomach/not much food, and then don't eat after (because for some reason, the coffee will make me think I'm not hungry for a few hours, and then it backfires).

Another thing that helps there is eating protein rather than straight carbs.. not just the "bad" ones (sugar, white flour), but especially the ones with fiber, like oatmeal. I've had this problem a lot if I just have coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. Then I feel like I stuffed my face for the next few hours, then all of a sudden I'm dizzy and shaking.

In general, protein helps me to feel satiated in a more stable way than even vegetables or fibery carbs (I get hungry more gradually). Sometimes I just have a protein shake or sardines as a snack and I don't feel that urgency to eat for an hour or so.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,999 Posts
I drink coffee daily. Usually just one cup a day, but sometimes if I don't eat enough, I'll get lightheaded, dizzy, heart palpitations etc. a few hours later. I'm assuming it's low blood sugar, because I've gotten the same symptoms from not eating for a long time. But usually I only have this problem if I drink coffee on an empty stomach/not much food, and then don't eat after (because for some reason, the coffee will make me think I'm not hungry for a few hours, and then it backfires).
That's probably the caffeine buzz. Caffeine is absorbed in the stomach, which means that if you have an empty stomach it will be absorbed faster than if you eat something and you will feel it stronger. The difference can be even felt if you try it with milk and without.
Low blood sugar symptoms are generally only felt if you have an actual issue with glucose regulation, i.e. intolerance. Otherwise, our livers take care of releasing enough glucose to keep the levels steady.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
That's probably the caffeine buzz. Caffeine is absorbed in the stomach, which means that if you have an empty stomach it will be absorbed faster than if you eat something and you will feel it stronger. The difference can be even felt if you try it with milk and without.
Low blood sugar symptoms are generally only felt if you have an actual issue with glucose regulation, i.e. intolerance. Otherwise, our livers take care of releasing enough glucose to keep the levels steady.
It happens when the buzz is wearing off, and it's the same feeling I've had when not eating for 12-24 hours+. So I always figured it was a blood sugar thing. Plus I get really hungry and basically start going on a food rampage like what weed can do when it wears off (I have no idea why caffeine would behave like weed though).

I once talked to a student in the health science program at my college as an undergrad (I think she was doing some kind of Master's or 6-year program though), and she told me that caffeine actually makes your liver raise your blood sugar, so you feel like you're not hungry. Then when it wears off, your body releases more insulin to bring the sugar down. I never heard of that before, but it seems to match my "symptoms". Coffee at least has some kind of effect on blood sugar and insulin. How Does Coffee Affect Blood Sugar and Diabetes?

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,999 Posts
It happens when the buzz is wearing off, and it's the same feeling I've had when not eating for 12-24 hours+. So I always figured it was a blood sugar thing. Plus I get really hungry and basically start going on a food rampage like what weed can do when it wears off (I have no idea why caffeine would behave like weed though).

I once talked to a student in the health science program at my college as an undergrad (I think she was doing some kind of Master's or 6-year program though), and she told me that caffeine actually makes your liver raise your blood sugar, so you feel like you're not hungry. Then when it wears off, your body releases more insulin to bring the sugar down. I never heard of that before, but it seems to match my "symptoms". Coffee at least has some kind of effect on blood sugar and insulin. How Does Coffee Affect Blood Sugar and Diabetes?
Perhaps you are more sensitive then, especially if you don't drink it regularly. It says so in your link, that habitual coffee drinkers don't experience these effects as much.
For example, I never experience that with coffee, even if I haven't eaten anything in the morning. Things like that can differ so much from one person to the other.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Limit caffiene. No alcohol. NO decongestants! Make sure your calories include sugars - complex carbs ideally. Drink a LOT of water - at least half your body weight in ounces. Make sure your pooping at least once every 48 hours. Don't overdo the exercise.. My doctor recommends a 30 minute walk at 70% effort daily. That is all.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Perhaps you are more sensitive then, especially if you don't drink it regularly. It says so in your link, that habitual coffee drinkers don't experience these effects as much.
For example, I never experience that with coffee, even if I haven't eaten anything in the morning. Things like that can differ so much from one person to the other.
Yeah I was wondering about that too. I drink it everyday, normally with a meal though. I was once told no coffee for 2 weeks (tea only) after a surgery, and I felt "blah" the whole time. It's weird because I have also suffered from anxiety for a long time (mostly panic attacks) but I do better with 1-2 cups of coffee a day than none.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,999 Posts
Yeah I was wondering about that too. I drink it everyday, normally with a meal though. I was once told no coffee for 2 weeks (tea only) after a surgery, and I felt "blah" the whole time. It's weird because I have also suffered from anxiety for a long time (mostly panic attacks) but I do better with 1-2 cups of coffee a day than none.
Yeah if you have it with a meal, the effects are certainly reduced. It takes a while for the body to get used to having no caffeine, I would give it about a month, but it might be a better idea to stop it gradually, like have once every two days or something, for a week then reduce even more, etc. But coffee in general is healthy to drink, especially Greek/Turkish that retains significant amounts of antioxidants (Greek Coffee Could Be Key To Long Life - Medical News Today) so 1-2 cups a day is a good amount to have if you want to. Just avoid drinking it by itself if it causes you problems.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
If it was bright fresh then it means it came from near the anus, maybe you ate something that made your poop so hard or with a certain texture that it made a small tear. It's quite common. But if it persist, it might be best to see a doctor. Blood that comes from an earlier point in the intestines (usually the stomach or small intestine) is dark. Unless maybe you had a diarrhea and everything passed quickly, dunno.
It was constipation, I think. Though being on caffeine seems to increase chance of bleeding or something. Stopped happening so far when I increased amount of vegetables I eat.

As for the dietitian, it's generally a good idea to have guidance when you need to lose so much weight and you've been overweight for a large part in your life and since you get dizzy and stuff when you are at a deficit, it'd be prudent to have someone supervise the process and perhaps even tell you if you are doing something wrong this whole time.
Well, I saw a doctor and had fasting blood sugar measured and it was ok. I can't afford a dietitian visit ATM. Though last time they just said to eat least fat (like in cut it in half) and fast from time to time.
Couldn't implement it because I was getting dizzy.

If you drink a lot of coffee, it could make you feel dizzy, as it prevents your body from uptaking water as well, which means your systems aren't going to work that well.

I would recommend ditching the coffee and see if you notice any changes.
It was starting drinking black coffee that stopped the dizziness. Maybe it's low blood pressure or something like that.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,999 Posts
It was constipation, I think. Though being on caffeine seems to increase chance of bleeding or something. Stopped happening so far when I increased amount of vegetables I eat.

Well, I saw a doctor and had fasting blood sugar measured and it was ok. I can't afford a dietitian visit ATM. Though last time they just said to eat least fat (like in cut it in half) and fast from time to time.
Couldn't implement it because I was getting dizzy.
If it had trouble passing then it might have been very hard and caused a small tear near the opening. I don't think the blood is related to caffeine, but drinking coffee helps the bowel move faster so maybe you went to the toilet more when you had it.

I don't know, it seems abnormal to become dizzy just as soon as you get hungry, perhaps fasting blood sugar test was not the best test for this (weren't you dizzy when you went for the blood test since you were without food for so many hours?). Did you tell your doctor that you get so dizzy?

Anyway, perhaps you should try to eat less but don't let yourself become hungry, i.e. smaller frequent meals.

Do you drink enough water? How's your blood pressure? Do you get dizzy when you stand up for example?
for your weight you need approximately 35ml per kg, I think you said you are 138kg so it's about 4.8L. It doesn't have to be just water, but anything fluid (milk, juice etc)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts