Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, say, if I really want to write a book, or a blog, or a website, and even a music compositions that will educate people and to basically share my knowledges, insights, & 'wisdoms' that I've got based from my readings, observations, and experiences all this time (instead of creating a 'mainstream' books/writings/music), which usually means that perhaps it won't make much money, even at worst, not enough for "make a living"!..

So how can I (we) balance between the 'ideal career/job' that I really want, with the current reality that: "you need to find a job that PAYS money, for your living, daily expenses, etc etc.." ?
Should I perhaps try to first make this 'ideal' pursuit as a side/part-time job first, ie: something that I should do on the side first initially? or how?

Does anyone else here also struggling constantly with this 'ideal' .versus. 'reality'? (ah, seems to be a common theme for INFPs, I'm pretty sure..)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I think a practical approach would be to start with and solidify the 'reality job', while using spare time to get more and more into your 'ideal job'. I don't think finding a balance is a problem, the real problem is how to cope with your (dis)satisfaction in the mean time. To which I can only say... Suck it up. Endure. Patience. ^^

If your 'ideal job' won't pay enough, you'll have to balance it out with your 'reality job'. If your 'ideal job' does pay enough... Well then I tip my hat to you, sir. ^^

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Well it depends on whether you know what your ideal job is. I would write down a list of how you imagine your ideal job to be. Then work backwards and "reverse engineer" to see if this kind of job can really exist in the world. Is there like a demand and supply for it. If not, you may have to create a market for this kind of job as well.

So for example, take teaching:
A lot of people told me that I should do teaching, but then I have worked in IT for a long time. I have been "teaching" adults on how to use this specific system, and I have used very conceptual ideas to make them understand and use the system in a more smarter way. What I have not done or refined it to, is whether I should use more formal learning methods from psychological background to teach my materials across to my trainees.

Sometimes it is all about communication to the person who is hiring you as to what you want out of the job and so forth too. I specifically said that I want to teach, and then the hiring manager said I will write my own materials. I was so happy with that. I know that in this job, it won't be a high percentage of training that I have to do, but I am fairly happy with the idea of building up something and affecting changes too. The fact that this company is also oneof the few remaining private manufacturing company in the UK. I feel like working for them do support the UK economy in some ways, against the globalisation that will happen in the future...

Do not think about "what earns me the most". Always ask yourself "what do I like to do first, what sounds "fun" " Then read the job ads, and see how you can incorporate an element of those kind of things in the job itself. Be realistic too, even if the job does not have 100% of this nature of work, or if it changes always, but be hopeful that there can be new areas which also appeals to your own core skills.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Eurgh, painful reality! Ideally, I would be an artist, architect, psychologist, inventor/scientist, activist and explorer all at once! But realistically, how? It's possible for me to have one of these careers if I really wanted but not all of them, all at once. Although just having one job would make me feel empty a little empty inside and as though I'm not helping enough... I want it all! But don't we all? :(

I think it's best to do whatever you enjoy the most. "Live each day as if it's your last."

That's easier said than done of course, so in the cruel, cold world of reality :sad: you should probably carry on with you job, for the moment at least. Then, in your spare time, you should write/blog etc until that is generating enough revenue to make a living off. Then quit. (your original job that is :p)

Also, it's better to do what you love for little money than what you hate for millions. As long as you are happy in what you are doing, and are making enough to 'get by' then all will be well :happy: Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want to be an artist. I'm convinced that it's all I want to do in life, but my ambition is always bashed by people in general (except my two INFP best friends), even my dad.
"What are you going to do with all your sketches? Sell them? That's if anyone wants to buy... If no one does, then what are you going to eat? Those canvases and papers? Stop placing your heads up in the clouds and wake up already."
He wants me to go into business. I'm graduating next year and I still have no idea what I should do once I get out of school. Maybe go to university and pursue art (or literature) and be poor, or work my arse off and actually make money in a stock exchange firm my dad's friend owns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think a practical approach would be to start with and solidify the 'reality job', while using spare time to get more and more into your 'ideal job'. I don't think finding a balance is a problem, the real problem is how to cope with your (dis)satisfaction in the mean time. To which I can only say... Suck it up. Endure. Patience. ^^

If your 'ideal job' won't pay enough, you'll have to balance it out with your 'reality job'. If your 'ideal job' does pay enough... Well then I tip my hat to you, sir. ^^
OMG! INFJs! It's like a love-hate relationship with INFPs. First of all I need to thank you profusely eyenexepee for what you wrote here. I think INFPs, or maybe it's just me, get too caught up in out internal drama and sometimes we just need a whack behind the head to make us see that our problems are not as complicated as we think they are.

I hate your practical approach to things because it makes me feel foolish to be so caught up in my internal conflicts that I couldn't look objectively at the situation. And I hate that you guys are always right and logical. But some times we need someone to drop that giant billboard of logic and practical approach in front of our face.

Anyway, I've been struggling with something similar with the person who started this thread and your post really resonated with me. Especially the "Suck it up. Endure. Patience." part so thanks again for that. I also need to thank my INFJ friend who told me pretty much the exact same thing but I didn't listen. ;P

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
OMG! INFJs! It's like a love-hate relationship with INFPs. First of all I need to thank you profusely eyenexepee for what you wrote here. I think INFPs, or maybe it's just me, get too caught up in out internal drama and sometimes we just need a whack behind the head to make us see that our problems are not as complicated as we think they are.

I hate your practical approach to things because it makes me feel foolish to be so caught up in my internal conflicts that I couldn't look objectively at the situation. And I hate that you guys are always right and logical. But some times we need someone to drop that giant billboard of logic and practical approach in front of our face.

Anyway, I've been struggling with something similar with the person who started this thread and your post really resonated with me. Especially the "Suck it up. Endure. Patience." part so thanks again for that. I also need to thank my INFJ friend who told me pretty much the exact same thing but I didn't listen. ;P
Ehehe ^^; We're not always right and we're not always logical. And INFP's may get caught up in internal drama, but yunno, in my eyes, it's not so much drama as it is a matter of facing reality with your dreams and idealism as your sword and shield. Such is life. ^^

Thank you for thanking me, although your friend may need to hear it more than I do (assuming she/he's a RL friend) :)

And good luck; I know what it's like to be in a transition. We'll get to our tipping points ^^

Reactions: ObLaDiObLaDa

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is the toughest of questions and issues in my life...

I think the singularity is our best hope..when robots make decisions and figure out a way to produce mass foods freely and we are free to be artistic and anything else we want.

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is the toughest of questions and issues in my life...

I think the singularity is our best hope..when robots make decisions and figure out a way to produce mass foods freely and we are free to be artistic and anything else we want.
But that's just another "ideal" reality, well for you at least. It sounds like a dismal existence to me. I can't imagine being artistic in a world where everyone was easily satisfied. (I have this image of your doing pirouettes as though with wings, and it's understandable if that is what you wish - freed spirit human).

This is what I say anyway: part-time work to pay living expenses (depending on your circumstance, should be able to do it); work towards your "ideal" in the mean time, as a side. IF like me you have a part time job but still barely do any dream work then this may be an indication that your problem is not real/ideal, but something in yourself (lack of motivation/commitment?). I mean, most good stuff is difficult to achieve.

It's possible that the actual question you ask arises out of a fear of failure (as in, you need the crutch that your dream is not possible in this world, as an excuse for not yourself having made it a reality). Well, I speak for myself :).

·
Registered
235 Posts
But that's just another "ideal" reality, well for you at least. It sounds like a dismal existence to me. I can't imagine being artistic in a world where everyone was easily satisfied. (I have this image of your doing pirouettes as though with wings, and it's understandable if that is what you wish - freed spirit human).
Yea, it's hard to know if that would be an ideal existence. It's just what I would view as utopian in my current state. I suppose the machines could come up with creativity once they are above the level of the human brain. It would be fun for me personally in my near term view in my meat body to get to read up on some great stories of adventures and to create my own. "Being artistic" is a vague term so it makes sense that you called it a dismal existence, but it has a pretty open meaning.

The singularity could lead us into new things we can barely imagine at this point. Instant travel to galaxies far away, etc.

·
Registered
733 Posts
current job - driving an enormous dump truck in a molybdenum mine

career goal - Archaeology, preferably in the middle east/europe

dream job - musician >_>

even my "realistic" career goals are pretty out there....

Reactions: illicit iridescence

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't be so focused on job or career - whatever you think will make you 'happy' probably won't, at least if you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Jobs and careers by their very nature are socially defined constructs, upon which people delude themselves into deriving happiness (as defined from without (and perhaps happiness isn't your ultimate goal and is a conditioned goal as well (triple parenthesis just because I can))). You need to look deep within to determine your inner drive/desire (in a very general sense, to be creative, to help others, etc...), followed by where your motivation comes from - what lights the tires so to speak? what gives you that spark energy, when do you feel most alive, how do you fuel your desires? Use those two and follow them, you'll see that career doesn't matter, and perhaps what you that was ideal, you were following for the wrong reasons.

Say you are in a job which tears at your soul and inner authenticity (been there myself) - use the above to identify your interests and follow them (multiple) until one leads somewhere, then take it, even if it means making less money (currently there).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts