Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched for this on google and found nothing, I find it's a problem I have, so does anyone have any ways of becoming less self-indulgent ?

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
Self-indulgent in what sense?

What drives you to be you so self-indulgent to begin with?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this problem with memorizing course material for my upcoming exams in september, because it's hardly the best way to learn and I have a perfectionist streak that appears from time to time; the best way to learn is by seeing bits of the material and putting them to the test one by one

I think any university anywhere puts too much emphasis on rote memorization; right now, if I had all this stuff in my head and could write all of it word for word like in the material, I'd get a 10 at two of the three exams, it's sad

anyway, I'm learning (the right way) about time management principles right now and how to get more things done in less time and it all comes down to sitting down and doing it, clearly defining goals and methods of achieving them

in short, I am a whiny bitch who only wants to do complex problems :wink:
it probably comes from the P in my personality type, maybe if I had a J instead I wouldn't feel resistance when I'm sitting down to do boring stuff; regardless, I'm working my way through :cool:

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
I fail to see the problem unless what you're asking is how to stay on task a higher percentage of the time. If you are, then the best I've got are bordline platitudes like "find ways to make it interesting," and "just do it."

Simple truth is that if it's dull or repetitive, you're going to be easily distracted. Maybe having some good music playing in the background would help.

·
Banned
641 Posts
I've searched for this on google and found nothing, I find it's a problem I have, so does anyone have any ways of becoming less self-indulgent ?
The answer is self discipline .. and if it's not innate within you.. you need to learn it and that tends to come with age and experience

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
May I ask what you are studying ?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
electrical engineering, so I need to take these calculus, thermodynamics and heat/mass transfer exams, but don't worry, I can learn for them, I have to :laughing:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I find that deciding how long to work on something and making up rewards for sticking with it helps. Say, plan to do it for an hour and after that you can... go get a cup of tea or whatever you would rather do, take a break, and when you're ready, work for another hour (or however long) and so on. Alternately, set amounts of work to do and reward yourself for finishing. This is how I passed my exams, btw.

eta: http://lifehacker.com/031038/put-off-procrastination-a-link-fest does this help any?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts