Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dear Entjs !
I strongly admire the way you handle your goals and the mindset you have toward life. I recently discovered new ways to view life and I think that wandering around on your part of the forum helped a bit !
So here it is : I'm an INFP in my last year of high school. I've always had big goals and big dreams but yet never found the will to achieve them. I can find motivation, because those goals are important to me, but after one good week of work, there are those days when I just can't do anything, and that is really frustrating when I go back in the motivated mindset. The problem wouldn't bother me if I wasn't running out of time, because the exams are in a few months and I just can't let myself waste the little time I have.
Would you be kind enough to share your experience on how you handle your motivation, how not to lose it ? And if you have some advices, please I'd be delighted to hear them ! :proud:

(I'm sorry if a thread like this one already exist)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Motivation is of less value than termpermant. Motivation is about wanting to do something but there are things in life you simply will not want to do. Don’t learn to be motivated, learn to be disciplined.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Not an ENTJ but I credit them with my self-development, not kidding, these are life-altering people. What I learned is to have your goals very clear and a WHY behind the goals.
I do a ton of stuff I don't want to do, but my goals and my WHYs are so potent (Fi driven) that my momentary emotions are pretty much irrelevant. You need drive, not motivation. As an Fi-dom you get your drive by having a WHY behind the clear goals, and be self-absorbed. The Fe world will try to stop you, and if you're not careful you'll have inner conflict: what I truly want vs harmony.
Stop people-pleasing to the best of your abilities, be selfish, respond to no one but yourself.
As with every INFP, shame and guilt will come to haunt you often, especially out there in the world interacting with people -not so much when you're introverting at home. Prepare to deal with those demons, give yourself permission to be selfish, to hurt others feelings when necessary, and trust that they will grow from this supposed hurt. Trust that people can deal with their own life, and don't try to be everything to everybody and be this perfect being who is a beam of light in the world. Tap into your dark side, if you know what I mean. Feel free to use people (networking) to advance toward your goal, be opportunistic, and know that you are not evil, that's impossible. You will never be Voldemort so stop it.

never found the will to achieve them. I can find motivation, because those goals are important to me, but after one good week of work, there are those days when I just can't do anything, and that is really frustrating when I go back in the motivated mindset.
Sounds to me like you don't have a WHY (?) I relate to what you wrote but only in those phases of my life when I didn't know my WHY. It's one thing when something is "fun", but "fun" is not sustainable ime. Like painting is fun and stuff, but that's not enough. What are you trying to achieve by painting? This applies to everything else you try to do.

When your goal is fascinating & compelling enough, you will wake up every morning ready to do anything regardless of your mood. I would say that if you don't want to do the work, it's because you don't actually want to goal. It's just "fun", but it's not strong enough.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Google Simon Sinek...watch some of his TED talks. His principles of developing an understanding of “why” you do something will help give your a focus and a purpose to your work.

Do what you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life. So true, but you must first understand “why” you love what you do and the put your complete heart and soul into your work. Distraction kills dreams and keep one from achieving greatness. Stay focused and driven to your cause, and good things will come.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Dunno about being more "ENTJ-ish", but whenever I feel lost/unmotivated/unsatisfied with my current life, I try to think about my Ikigai and it gets me hyped. Once it's done, I establish a plan and get in action.

(Unlike ENTJs, I have to re-think about it very often.)

Ahem. That false vin diagram is not getting through the entj forum unscathed. There is no area for only AC or only BD in the diagram shown.

Reactions: Skeletalz

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Dunno about being more "ENTJ-ish", but whenever I feel lost/unmotivated/unsatisfied with my current life, I try to think about my Ikigai and it gets me hyped. Once it's done, I establish a plan and get in action.

(Unlike ENTJs, I have to re-think about it very often.)
OMG I love that diagram!

I feel like I had been stuck in an unhappy job, down towards the bottom right in what you can get paid for, not something i felt good at, and only felt like I was slightly contributing to society.... I've since quit that job and following my passion, which I feel puts me in that top center triangle above Ikigai ..now i just need to keep working away at it so that I eventually am able to make money doing what I love and get into that Ikigai center where we should all seek to be :)

·
Registered
4,442 Posts

Ahem. That false vin diagram is not getting through the entj forum unscathed. There is no area for only AC or only BD in the diagram shown.
yeah, but the two missing combinations I don't think could ever actually exist...

If you don't love something and you're not getting paid for it, then why would you do it? there's no motivation, so it's unlikely to happen just because you're good at it and think the world needs it., so I don't see Good At and the World Needs overlapping alone. Maybe there is some invention the world needs that no one is going to pay you to develop it and you're good at inventing stuff.. but if you don't have any personal love for putting time and effort into that project and no is paying you to do it, it's prob not going to happen.

Also no one is going to pay you to do something you're not good at that the world does not need. You might be paid to do something you're not good at if there is a demand for people doing that task.. and you might be paid to do something the world doesn't really need if you're good at it (artists entertainers, etc.. the world's not is short supply of those things, so you're only going to get paid to do those things if you're good at them). So I don't see Love and Paid for overlapping alone either.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
the only thing I'd change about this chart is I would call the top center triangle "Vocation" or maybe the center Ikigai I would translate in english to the word Vocation...the bottom right corner I certainly wouldn't call a vocation, that I'd label "Shitty Job"

..the grey color is appropriate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts