Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The same way you're proud of who you are as an individual.

If you're not proud of who you are as an individual, then go work on yourself.
If you're proud, then fantastic, stay on that path.

A person who hates being an INFP personality -which I see in a lot of threads, it's super confusing to me, as I am my favourite type and have never desired to be any other type- it's because they hate themselves, and they hate the way they see the world and the way they act in that world. If you hate something, work on it, change it. Build what you need to build within yourself until you're proud of who you are. And changing oneself to fit some arbitrary society is the path to misery. Become more of who you are, not something else. Don't play small.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why does you even view yourself as an mbti type? When even the test often mistyping people and mbti isnt even science. Its some amateur psychologists who have invented mbti, and it has got much criticism.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Much of what I am proud of can be traced back to me being INFP, but I can't really say that I proud of being an INFP.
For me the question is the other way round: How can I utilize my INFP traits to become a better man and lead a better life?

·
Registered
ISFP
3,109 Posts
You could start by realizing that pride by itself is an useless thing. It serves no purpose, in particular when it is related to things we have no control of, things we didn't achieve ourselves. I would never say "I am proud of being INFJ" because there is nothing to be proud about. It is a personality type, I was born with this type, assuming the theory is correct. I didn't fight to achieve it. Plus, the type has its good and bad things, like any other. What is there to be proud of?

If you accept yourself first, then perhaps accepting you are an INFP might turn to be a very simple thing to achieve. If it helps you in any way, do keep in mind that INFP is a beautiful type, in my personal opinion, one of the types that shine the most within the MBTI personality types theory.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm on the different territory of pride. There is definitely an unhealthy pride based on the flip side which is envy, but intrinsic motivation pride is very different. INFPs usually have the ability to enjoy the wonder of existence. They need to develop their favourite skills and USE them in society. Even if it's not paid, hobbies are really important to heal you and give you that energy.

I think to develop our weaker functions especially using psychologists like Anders Ericsson to use sensing and thinking to develop your skills. Si and Te is how to bring the Fi and Ne dreams to reality. Try these books:

https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise-ebook/dp/B011H56MKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1509915791&sr=1-1&keywords=anders+ericsson

Use the Fi and Ne sense of play to worry less about standards until you develop enough skill to do it. You can only meet those standards when you can. This way you can choose goals based on what you can do.

https://www.amazon.com/Play-Shapes-Brain-Imagination-Invigorates-ebook/dp/B001SCK720/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1509916307&sr=1-1

The goal is being able to really get good at your play so that it can be a way of life, if not it can be a part time job or great hobby.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't be proud of the cards you've been dealt. Be proud in how you've played them.

Cultivate confidence and self-esteem through achievements. Pride in the skills you've acquired. Being proud to be an INFP is like me saying I'm proud to be a male. Like what? I didn't even play a role in that, what's to be proud of? What did I do to be born a male?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm happy I am who I am (creative, open-minded) and this helps me do certain things I can be proud of!

As most people have said, I'm not 'proud' of being an INFP because that's just who I am. I am proud of things I achieved: doing something creative, working hard to reach my degree, helping out a friend. Those are things I can be proud of.
It's up to you to use who you are to do something you can be proud of :)

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,490 Posts
I'm proud to be me, and I happen to be an INFP. There's no one else I COULD be, and there's only one ME out there so ...why not have pride in that? :tongue:

·
exploring space
9,950 Posts
There isn't much sense in being proud to be a specific MBTI type.
However I think you mean, that sometimes when the negatives hit you that correlate to your type, you may feel that it's part of being trapped in INFPness. That's how it feels to me sometimes. When this happens I like to turn to my INTP boyfriend who knows me very well and understands MBTI, so he can understand what I'm feeling and why and he tells me the positives and how he likes them. So it sort of balances out that way. Basically I become grumpy about the curse of INFPness and he reminds me it can be a gift too :p (yea that's sounds a bit dramatic)

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can get customised caps these days. Why not order a majestic purple one with INFP written on the top? It will mean absolutely nothing to everyone around you, for you could just as well wear a cap that says Squirrel Girl or Chicken Nugget and get the same effect, but it's the pride and joy that counts.

Nothing wrong with pride. Just remember to thank your influences - so you might have "INFP" at the front of the cap, and "Thank You, Jesus" at the back, for example. If you don't do this, you might be seen as arrogant and possibly narcissistic. If "INFP" does happen to mean something to others around you, you may not be seen as a true INFP after all, and I'm not quite certain what that is.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I find this question confounding. People are not a Type, they identify with a type because they most closely resonate with that particular type. You are what comes before the type; you are a precedence. A banana needs to be long, yellow, mushy and typically grow in the tropics before it can be identified as a banana. The type is not what makes you. The type was conceived when someone, in this case Carl Jung, started to detail human behaviour to form a few overarching descriptors that can illustrate multiple personas; to generalize the human psyche. In this case, INFP is just a descriptor for a group of people who happen to embody a particular set of traits.

I've observed that a ton of people conflate their own sense of self with some sort of paradigm even outside of the MBTI community. You see this in mainstream astrology - hell, this could even be tied to the issue of race, and the general sense of superiority/inferiority/congeniality spawning from the perception of "out group" and "in group" (and life is riddled with groups). I think it ties to the most human need of wanting to belong, and be validated. There is nothing wrong with that, but there are wiser ways to go about fulfilling that need.

I think most posters here have stated helpful answers, which was also the most obvious one. I assume from your question that you're having a hard time trying to like yourself (and not that you want to tower over others in pride)? There's a first step: not attaching your sense of worth to a "concept", or persona that has negative or positive connotations tied to it as determined by the public. You have inherent self worth that can be distinguished from the sense of worth we receive from the "outer". But this can only be found by yourself, in yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts