Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we Ti doms prove our worth over Te doms? (And perhaps Te aux but to a lesser degree.)

I firmly believe we are at least on equal footing in terms of (intellectual) competency: problem solving, vision, persistence, and the lot. But it doesn't manifest on the surface. At least for me it doesn't.

Te doms naturally display the said assets we share in their dominant, determined, and coherent personality. Whereas I (the INTP) come off as lazy, doubtful, and perhaps confused.

_

With that in mind, I guess my question splits into two domains: (1) our status in the face of others, and (2) our actual cognitive abilities compared. (The first question being the main topic of concern because it is the less speculative and the more practical.)

- Question 1 covers anything in terms of reputation. How to overcome the difference in our characters as displayed?

The natural consequence, I would assume, is that people prefer to rely on Te doms opposed to Ti doms. It is the more 'guaranteed' option after all, because Te doms wield their assets for everyone to see. Think of job interviews. One would be mad not to pick the bright and ardent (Te) over the slacker (Ti), right?

Our more outwardly soft mannerisms, in other words, are not beneficial to our actual character and understanding I feel like. Because in actuality we have all these assets in our heads of course.

- Question 2 is the more abstact question. Do you feel ran over by Te in terms of strategy - think of games or everyday debates? Does it frustate you when it happens? Or do find it easy to beat them? When/how do you outsmart them? Would you generally consider yourself more or less gifted than Te doms?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I dont know but, doesnt everyone have both Te and Ti? I dont know much about cognitive functions but, if you are aware of what Te and Ti is, their pros and cons, shouldnt you be able to adapt either Te and/or Ti to any specific scenario? I mean, its not only a matter of taste in what you prefer, rather what to use in a specific situation to make an "optimal" solution, or something like that idk.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know but, doesnt everyone have both Te and Ti? I dont know much about cognitive functions but, if you are aware of what Te and Ti is, their pros and cons, shouldnt you be able to adapt either Te and/or Ti to any specific scenario? I mean, its not only a matter of taste in what you prefer, rather what to use in a specific situation to make an "optimal" solution, or something like that idk.
I don't believe in shadow types... Buut, playing along with your reasoning, it would mean we could be anyone (read: any type) we would like to be. No human has the energy to sustain such antics. I mean, 'my Te' - if it is there at all - is even more infantile than my Fe (whose presence, by the way, I truly do feel). I don't think that kind of Te compares to the TJ's Te, up to the degree that it honestly can't even considered Te. So no thank you, better stick to my nature.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't believe in shadow types... Buut, playing along with your reasoning, it would mean we could be anyone (read: any type) we would like to be. No human has the energy to sustain such antics. I mean, 'my Te' - if it is there at all - is even more infantile than my Fe (whose presence, by the way, I truly do feel). I don't think that kind of Te compares to the TJ's Te, up to the degree that it honestly can't even considered Te. So no thank you, better stick to my nature.
Isn't the use of Ti or Te developed based on how you prefer to reason within your mind? Meaning you are sticking to your nature because that's what you like to do?

And to add to your Thread Title; If you prefer Ti and would like to beat a Te user in something. I would suggest you learn everything there is about Te, and learn how to see through a Te perspective, while also be able to see through your own more deeply developed Ti perspective? idk

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Te can be pretty short sighted (from a Ti bias), so it's really a matter of what the people around you prefer. There are ways Te won't appeal to Fe, and there are plenty of those around. So usually you just point out how distasteful the Te mindset is through some snide remark that appeals to Fe, and then follow with a much more elegant summary of what they just said, with maybe some caveats.

ISTPs are the ones who excel at this from what I've seen.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Why would I choose one when I could have a pair of TiTes? Of course, they're not as mighty as an INTP's Pness.

On an unrelated note, I want to buy a squishy dingding for Christmas.
Come on, that's not unrelated, not in the slightest.

:encouragement:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Your first question has at least two interpretations. You're either asking what can be done to change the public perception of people who do not have the appearance of being dominant, determined, and so on. In that case you have to consider how public perception of some subject matter can be changed generally. That usually comes down to spending a truckload of money on influencing public opinion by way of advertising, education, and so forth. Now, if you're actually asking what you can do in order to make yourself appear better when compared to dominant and determined people (characteristics which have nothing to do with Te, by the way), then that's a less quixotic undertaking. One obvious suggestion is to improve how you present yourself in public. Concretely, this can come down to changing things like your posture, as well as your way of speaking and dressing. Alternatively, if this is a work-related concern, then considering a career in a field where appearance is less significant is another obvious solution.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
How can we Ti doms prove our worth over Te doms?
I'm curious ... why would you want to?

Te can be pretty short sighted
Te also takes less time, so it's more prone to mistakes and taking short cuts. While Te might be able to come to the "correct" answer generally, Ti tends to come to the "correct" answer the "correct" way and is, thus, less prone to mistakes.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
@NipNip

Why are framing the question in a way that sounds like "how can I better version of someone else"? What are your own strengths and aspirations in life? Te-doms are extroverts, so their energy profile is going to be different from an introvert. You have Ne, why not advertise your ideas?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Being speculative, I'll go at 2: Yeah, hate it. I mean, having Ti it's not so hard to see them trip up, but they're usually going at a completely different pace than me, so it takes a lot for me to bother really cutting in. Not just because I know it's frustrating for others, but because my Ti often runs deeper than I'm ready to communicate... which makes for a poor verbal weapon.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sit down and practice having logical debates with Te doms. If you're a Ti dom and you're not unknowingly arguing a false point, then you should be able to wreck their shit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sit down and practice having logical debates with Te doms. If you're a Ti dom and you're not unknowingly arguing a false point, then you should be able to wreck their shit.
Sorry, could you expand a little more on this? I plan on joining a debate club or some discussion groups.

·
Banned
659 Posts
Te can be pretty short sighted (from a Ti bias), so it's really a matter of what the people around you prefer. There are ways Te won't appeal to Fe, and there are plenty of those around. So usually you just point out how distasteful the Te mindset is through some snide remark that appeals to Fe, and then follow with a much more elegant summary of what they just said, with maybe some caveats.

ISTPs are the ones who excel at this from what I've seen.
Took the words out of my mouth.

To the OP - I see it as these are tool for different things. Neither is better than the other except where is should be - we never consider how to make a screwdriver into a better hammer because hammers exist.

We may not have a hammer - but we know people who might.

I think the best we can really do is know what Ti is good for and where it fails and call on the skills of others when our own are unsuited.

Te and Ti are, imo, so fundamentally different that I don't believe you can out Te a strong Te user.

Ti is great for building models of what could and/or should happen
Te is great for analysing what has happened and extrapolating into the future from that

For Ti if the theoretical model plays out an dpasses all the logical tests, then it is the overall answer even if local observation shows something different - it's exceptionally stubborn at times. Te on the other hand sees the theoretical model as given by what can be observed as happening - it's, as said by other posters, arguably a bit short sighted in it's pragmatism.

So again, different tools for different jobs. I don't think they should be in direct competition on most circumstances, if anything they are complementary skills that provide a panoramic view of a concept or situation.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I grew up with an ENTJ and I still don't know the answer to question 2. The best I can say is that you have to boil every detail down into a simple answer with unshakeable confidence in its absolute correctness, and never pause to try to fit some previously unexamined detail into the picture. Unfortunately this makes arguing any complex situation difficult because it can be ever so hard to find a simple answer for a complex situation without that answer being wrong. Also, if you are adept enough and not averse to a little manipulation, try to trigger them to get angry about some unjust aspect of the position they may be holding that would adversely affect themselves.

Of course this is all good in theory. I doubt I could ever carry it off in anything approaching real-time.

I don't think we are more or less gifted than each other, but rather focus on different kinds of answers, which are better or worse depending on the question.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The best I can say is that you have to boil every detail down into a simple answer with unshakeable confidence in its absolute correctness, and never pause to try to fit some previously unexamined detail into the picture.
Whoopsie Daisy...

Unfortunately this makes arguing any complex situation difficult because it can be ever so hard to find a simple answer for a complex situation without that answer being wrong. Also, if you are adept enough and not averse to a little manipulation, try to trigger them to get angry about some unjust aspect of the position they may be holding that would adversely affect themselves.

Of course this is all good in theory. I doubt I could ever carry it off in anything approaching real-time.

I don't think we are more or less gifted than each other, but rather focus on different kinds of answers, which are better or worse depending on the question.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts