Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Get rid of them. Quit your job. With authority figures it really depends what kind of authority figure. People generally don't change. ENTPs like to go against the grain, so when people tell us to do something just because it is protocol it really grinds our gears. So either get them out of your life, or have them start respecting you out of fear. This means having something over them. This could either be some dirt from their past or it could be some sort of power you have gained that affects them in the negative. If all else fails go sleep with their wife.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Another completely worthless post from the vacuous pubescent mind of YourMom. What universe do you live in where you can just get "rid of" authority figures?? Everyone on this board speaks in such fantastically aggressive and sweeping abstractions the individual ideas are completely alien to real life. They're authority figures. They're everywhere. They control everything. Your parents. Your principal. Your professors. Your boss. The police. You can't get rid of them, and, rather unfortunately, most times you can't just quit your job like it's a Netflix subscription. And give me one single example of an authority figure over whom you have some kind of "dirt." This happens in The Wire, not to the unscripted. Do you have a job? Have you ever worked a day in your life? Did you blackmail your boss with pictures of him banging the secretary when he told you to make coffee?

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fellows, lets not argue and insult each other.

We are here to find solutions and strategies against abusive and aggressive bosses.
Being the most anti authority type, i would know how our type cope with this challenge.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Drama Queen

I have a boss that's very emotional, anal retentive, and slow to change. As an ENTP, I have been friendly to her, but have mainly ignored her obvious changing emotions towards me. The key is to be steady and remain an asset. Because of my learning personality and desire for leadership, just by doing what I do best, I have become a manager in a short amount of time and have brought change, slowly but steadily to my work environment. However, the said boss is not as appreciative of me as she should be, and I will be moving on soon to a real career. This was only my first job after all. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hmm well I think you need to make yourself indispensable because usefull people get away with more. Other than that self employment is best!

The key to both of those is to get into a position where you know best and everyone knows you know best so even if your not the boss they'll all jump - boss included - when you say "I think we should jump here". The problem ENTPs have with authority is that our ideas and personalities are often so offbeat that bosses don't trust them with things. So we have to show we know best and make sure everyone knows we know best.

Therefore get in to an extremely knowledged based industry. IT is good! Thats my plan an IT entreprenuer like my dad.:laughing:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see them as a challenge. As the ENTP I am supposed to master ANY difficult situation and if I cannot I simply do my best to get eventually there, working on myself (I eventually make bosses like and appreciate me). Then the problem with the difficult boss when sorted out can become a problem with boss (job) which is not a source of progress for me any more. Only then it might be the time to quit :wink:. I do not run away from battlefield when there is a chance to win. And there is always some. Only hopeless situation with boss / job is when it does not push you forward any more :laughing:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I'd say focus more on getting the work done rather than your boss' personality. As long as he or she isn't obstructing your work, it is really not very relevant what their personality is like.

If your boss is obstructing your work then you can either:
1. diplomatically inform your boss about it - without making him look stupid or incompetent of course - if you have proven to be a valuable member of team or connected with boss over some other values, your boss is likely to listen to you
2. seek another place to work at

·
Banned
998 Posts
Another completely worthless post from the vacuous pubescent mind of YourMom. What universe do you live in where you can just get "rid of" authority figures?? Everyone on this board speaks in such fantastically aggressive and sweeping abstractions the individual ideas are completely alien to real life. They're authority figures. They're everywhere. They control everything. Your parents. Your principal. Your professors. Your boss. The police. You can't get rid of them, and, rather unfortunately, most times you can't just quit your job like it's a Netflix subscription. And give me one single example of an authority figure over whom you have some kind of "dirt." This happens in The Wire, not to the unscripted. Do you have a job? Have you ever worked a day in your life? Did you blackmail your boss with pictures of him banging the secretary when he told you to make coffee?
I wasn't going to respond, but now I feel like doing so. Sometimes I doubt that you're actually ENTP, since you can't tell when I'm being a cynical prick and when I'm actually being serious. I was mainly joking there. That being said, I am not someone to sit back and take shit from authority figures, and I'd think that there ENTPs are the same way. Most of the types of people you listed aren't authority figures in my opinion since they can be replaced or ignored.

Your parents are only in the way until you move out of the house. And even then they can be easily swayed in whatever direction you choose. At least my parents for that matter.

Your principal doesn't really do much at the school that involves the students. Te teacher is more of an authority figure. And all teachers are just humans too, and their opinions can be easily swayed. That being said, this is an adult topic pertaining to adult situations, and adults don't have school teachers anymore, so this one doesn't even apply.

Your professors are only the way because you chose for them to be in the way. You're the one who chose to be in the class in the first place. You didn't have to take the class, and realistically, the class will probably not do much, if anything, for you in the future.

Your boss can be gotten rid of by finding a better job. 98% of North Americans work for a boss. 70% of North Americans dislike their job. Again, this is the life they chose, and I feel no sympathy for people in those situations. People are constantly blaming others for their own misery. If you don't like something about your life, change it. No one else is going to do it for you. I KNOW I don't like being someone else's little bitch, so I chose to start my own company. Right now the money is a little scarce since I'm still searching for more clients, but I love my life and I love what I do.

The police are the only actual authority figures that you listed, and therefore the only ones you should bow down to. But again, the police can only due things within the law, so if you know the law as well, then you can say no when you see that they want to make you do something that you don't necessarily have to do.

I am an engineering major. Next year I will be graduating. Most of my colleagues will be getting positions as junior engineers picking up all the bitch work that the senior engineers don't feel like doing. A good portion of them will continue staying in the field until they themselves one day "dominate their field" when they reach the point where their able to do whatever they want. By that time they'll be 35 at least. I am 21 right now and started my own engineering company. By all accounts, I do whatever I want. I am respected by my peers and my business partners, and once my company doesn't require effort into selling anymore then their respect will turn into high respect. At the same time, ask me how much I care about their respect for me. I don't care much, since I live the free life. If I feel like taking a day off I can and no one is going to be giving me shit about it. I only wake up early in the morning if I have a meeting. Otherwise I wake up at 9 or 10. Half the time I sit around in my boxers. And I do a fantastic job. Better than a good portion of my competitors who have been at it for years.

I was obviously joking when I said blackmail the boss or bang his wife. Those are funny thoughts, and if you were ENTP, which I doubt you are since seem to like taking it from behind by authority figures, you would've found it amusing.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I personally, have kept incriminating emails and used them against my boss.
He was lazy lying cunt who would often take shortcuts for political aims. I forwarded them to his boss and let him know the standards of what was going on.
So yes, backstabbing happens in real life even if you haven't seen it.

It wasn't blackmail since I didn't inform him of what I was doing but it certainly qualifies as dirt.
Life and work is war the sooner you realize that the better off you are.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
That said it's better to use your charms.
People will do things for you if they like you.
So be likeable, it's not all that difficult.
I get alot done by blurring the lines between my work and the work of others.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The strategy depends on the nature of difficulty that the authority figure presents.

Manipulative game-players: play a straight bat (here's hoping the yanks in here understand that metaphor), don't engage, always take them at face value, keep everything out in the open, and they will find someone else to bully.

Aggressors who like to frighten people: play a straight bat, refuse to be cowed, reflect back a challenge like a mediator, preferably in public, so that it sounds as ridiculous as it is. They will back down.

Bullies who like to see underlings in work: bury them in work, keep smiling. Or just smile, take the assignment and sit on it, pretend that you have almost finished. They will go either of two ways at this point: reverse and ask you to redo it in a different way: fine, you never did it first time round, repeat the exercise; or they will insist on it being done on the deadline, in which case use your ENTP genius to knock it off perfectly at the last minute.

Can't think of any other type, although I am sure there are loads. It's a long time since I have found any authority figure scary or challenging, although I believe a fair few people find me so.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Get rid of them. Quit your job. With authority figures it really depends what kind of authority figure. People generally don't change. ENTPs like to go against the grain, so when people tell us to do something just because it is protocol it really grinds our gears. So either get them out of your life, or have them start respecting you out of fear. This means having something over them. This could either be some dirt from their past or it could be some sort of power you have gained that affects them in the negative. If all else fails go sleep with their wife.
I wasn't going to respond, but now I feel like doing so. Sometimes I doubt that you're actually ENTP, since you can't tell when I'm being a cynical prick and when I'm actually being serious. I was mainly joking there. That being said, I am not someone to sit back and take shit from authority figures, and I'd think that there ENTPs are the same way. Most of the types of people you listed aren't authority figures in my opinion since they can be replaced or ignored.

Your parents are only in the way until you move out of the house. And even then they can be easily swayed in whatever direction you choose. At least my parents for that matter.

Your principal doesn't really do much at the school that involves the students. Te teacher is more of an authority figure. And all teachers are just humans too, and their opinions can be easily swayed. That being said, this is an adult topic pertaining to adult situations, and adults don't have school teachers anymore, so this one doesn't even apply.

Your professors are only the way because you chose for them to be in the way. You're the one who chose to be in the class in the first place. You didn't have to take the class, and realistically, the class will probably not do much, if anything, for you in the future.

Your boss can be gotten rid of by finding a better job. 98% of North Americans work for a boss. 70% of North Americans dislike their job. Again, this is the life they chose, and I feel no sympathy for people in those situations. People are constantly blaming others for their own misery. If you don't like something about your life, change it. No one else is going to do it for you. I KNOW I don't like being someone else's little bitch, so I chose to start my own company. Right now the money is a little scarce since I'm still searching for more clients, but I love my life and I love what I do.

The police are the only actual authority figures that you listed, and therefore the only ones you should bow down to. But again, the police can only due things within the law, so if you know the law as well, then you can say no when you see that they want to make you do something that you don't necessarily have to do.

I am an engineering major. Next year I will be graduating. Most of my colleagues will be getting positions as junior engineers picking up all the bitch work that the senior engineers don't feel like doing. A good portion of them will continue staying in the field until they themselves one day "dominate their field" when they reach the point where their able to do whatever they want. By that time they'll be 35 at least. I am 21 right now and started my own engineering company. By all accounts, I do whatever I want. I am respected by my peers and my business partners, and once my company doesn't require effort into selling anymore then their respect will turn into high respect. At the same time, ask me how much I care about their respect for me. I don't care much, since I live the free life. If I feel like taking a day off I can and no one is going to be giving me shit about it. I only wake up early in the morning if I have a meeting. Otherwise I wake up at 9 or 10. Half the time I sit around in my boxers. And I do a fantastic job. Better than a good portion of my competitors who have been at it for years.

I was obviously joking when I said blackmail the boss or bang his wife. Those are funny thoughts, and if you were ENTP, which I doubt you are since seem to like taking it from behind by authority figures, you would've found it amusing.
This is poor advice.

Now, obviously he was just being facetious in most of his first post, but the notion that people actually have the luxury to simply quit their jobs and start their own companies is a fairy candyland fantasy. It's called "paying the bills", Mom.

How does one expect to have any credibility with zero experience as an employee? A degree is not enough. If you expect to start a business any more sophisticated than a lemonade stand, you need to have work experience. How the hell would a dentist expect to open a private practice (and keep it open) if he has no hands-on experience in dentistry? No way in hell would I let a dentist fresh out of dentist school near my mouth by himself.

Really, most people will be forced to work for others at one point. Sometimes in the beginning to build experience and credibility, and sometimes out of necessity when "money is scarce". Unless you're so self-sufficient, you can multiply bread and fishes.

So for most people, even ENTPs, they'll have to occasionally and temporarily step out of their happy happy ENTP-mind bubble hut and get in step with reality for a while. That means dealing with people like a grown adult, who are there to stay, and not having the "I don't wanna play with you anymore!!1" attitude.

Like Sellihca said, people have a profound influence on your future. You need the reputation, the credibility, network, etc. Quitting out on people just because you don't like them is just hurting your own resume.

And in response to the actual question, not only should you be very well-versed in your field, you need to have "extra" qualities that really make you stand out. That will only add a competitive edge that potential threat newcomers can't match.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts