Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an ISFJ I deal with insecurity and overthinking by being insecure and by overthinking. But today I've decided that I want to change those bad habits and become sane again. Does anyone else deal with these issues on a regular basis and have a good healthy way of dealing with them?

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Make healthy friends and make sincere connections. Be willing to share some of your fears and weaknesses at times with people, sometimes it can be a positive thing to do if you share it in a not too overwhelming way.

Accept some of your fears and overthinking, but somehow allow yourself to not let it fester. They are just words in the moment or some kind of image maybe. I am kind of borrowing this idea from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (I think that what is it called). Test out your thoughts and fears every once in awhile, and if you feel overwhelmed, take a little break. Think of what is going wrong or ways you could change a situation. Be kind to yourself, and remember that you do matter at least a little bit. Not not in overblown way though.

I suppose I try to make some quiet time with my thoughts and just what is around me at times. To focus on my breaths instead of blurring my stereo in the car for example. I find that I am a bit more relaxed and aware of the environments in a way when I do this. Sometimes I am more likely to do this, if I find that I am worrying about things or I am trying to do something new or unfamiliar later on.

Nice to hear that you'd like to try to work on this. :)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
It's a well-known side effect of inferior Ne to always have it question everything. "What if things would be different?" It's the natural counterpart to Si, which defines the way things are.

The trick is to embrace the Ne and start using it actively to your advantage. try to challenge yourself in asking 'what if' questions. Don't make it a big deal, just do small things. You've always done the dishes in a certain order? Maybe change it up a bit. Want to go to a restaurant? Pick one at random! Maybe learn a new recipe or take a good friend to the movies once in a while. Whatever you can do to add some new influences in your life.

It'll be hard at first and feel unnatural, but in the long run it's going to train your brain to accept other possibilities as a natural part of defining how things are.

(I've learned a lot about ISFJ's from being in a relationship with one for a few years, but my information is all second-hand of course. Do with it what you will)

·
Registered
23 Posts
It takes a lot of being self-aware and working on yourself. My insecurity and overthinking has probably directly led to my most recent breakup and it hurts as hell. BUT this was the shakeup that I needed to be aware that this is how I react and I look to..work on myself. I now catch myself overthinking and I try to close my eyes and calm myself down. Its the zen principle of the 'observing mind' and 'thinking mind', I tend to catch myself when I'm being insecure, overthink and I try to mitigate the process by breathing techniques or just distract myself. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a well-known side effect of inferior Ne to always have it question everything. "What if things would be different?" It's the natural counterpart to Si, which defines the way things are.

The trick is to embrace the Ne and start using it actively to your advantage. try to challenge yourself in asking 'what if' questions. Don't make it a big deal, just do small things. You've always done the dishes in a certain order? Maybe change it up a bit. Want to go to a restaurant? Pick one at random! Maybe learn a new recipe or take a good friend to the movies once in a while. Whatever you can do to add some new influences in your life.

It'll be hard at first and feel unnatural, but in the long run it's going to train your brain to accept other possibilities as a natural part of defining how things are.

(I've learned a lot about ISFJ's from being in a relationship with one for a few years, but my information is all second-hand of course. Do with it what you will)
@Drecon Can this relate to moments of spontaneity as there are brief times where I do feel like doing something outta the routine just to change things up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts