Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i had this conversation with a friend today about this. he told me how to tell the difference between those two. he read an article about it in a sciene magazine. a danish one...

genious: higly sensitive personality + high IQ

psycho: highly sensitive personality + low IQ

ones IQ can decrease (of drugs, etc) so a genious can turn into a psycho. and that makes me think of the movie: proof

hope you find it useful
i sure liked it

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That's interesting, I could see how it works.

The way I see it, geniuses embody creativity which is sometimes equated with insanity or neuroses, due to an overabundance of certain neurotransmitters or pathway inefficiencies in the brain that may cause unstable thinking (indeed, the ability to create uniquely and intuitively requires a certain degree of "unstable" thinking).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting, I could see how it works.

The way I see it, geniuses embody creativity which is sometimes equated with insanity or neuroses, due to an overabundance of certain neurotransmitters or pathway inefficiencies in the brain that may cause unstable thinking (indeed, the ability to create uniquely and intuitively requires a certain degree of "unstable" thinking).

also interesting, thank you

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
being a psycho is not really related to high/low IQ. You have to define psycho. If you are talking about "psychotic" then that's related to mental illness. If you mean like a "psycho killer" then those guys can be pretty smart.
Genius is IQ related of course though not always. We think people like Einstein and he had a high IQ I think. But there might be exceptionally talented dancers or painters who have average IQ but are astonishingly creative in their particular field. IQ measures the kind of intelligence that you use in school. It doesn't measure musical abilities or emotional aptitude.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have heard that the only difference between insanity and genius is success. A genius becomes more than some eccentric mad hatter in the eyes of themselves and others through their deeds, achievements or works.

In terms of psychopathy, is an element of insanity actually required? Psychopathy is the overwhelming pursuit of power and maybe even fear and the desire to be able to assert these over others. A person could be perhaps be quite mentally stable and shoot someone just for the feelings of power. It's something everyone should watch out for, we all have our dark sides.

·
Registered
659 Posts
"psycho" is kind of a vague term. however, i think that a lot of times, the two are not mutually exclusive. some of the brightest people on the planet are/were a little off.

·
Registered
751 Posts
He means (HSP) or Highly sensitive person. It affects 20% of the population.

Highly sensitive person - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Supposedly sensitive people are likely HSP which also allows for increased awareness in shifting moods and changing situations in the environment. Apparently I also have it (its supposedly very common in INFPs) and I have a tendency to be a bit nervous, pretty much all the time. I suppose increased sensitivity could equate to increased reactibility to stimuli, both external and internal which could in turn influence creativity due to unusual perceptions of reality compared to the main. Most geniuses would be traditionally considered "out of the box" compared to the mainstream. This may not be required however and it may just be a bias to the N brand of genius which allows innovation and creativity. Genius could be little more than exceptional aptitude, essentially allowing for genius office supervisiors or interior decorators (although it would be a genius less realised as the S type is more common.)

I myself would equate these two more to "low latent inhibiton" which is supposedly linked to HSP although not proven to be the same condition or same field. Low latent inhibition creates a deficit in the mind to block incoming data. Usually most incoming information and data from everyday life is stored away if not completely discarded but LLH not only allows a far greater quantity of incoming data to be used and analysed without being discarded but could allow for far greater recollection of past events (due to a less inhibited memory.)

According to the low latent inhibition theory, the IQ does play a factor, but more in determining the mind's ability to handle this greater bandwidth. It's essentially like a computer trying to download a 500mb download from the internet, low IQ would compare to attempting this on a dial-up-modem whilst HQ on a state-of-the art broadband connection. The mind having a lower IQ would collapse under the sheer weight of this information, becoming twisted, insane and maybe even psychotic. The mind with a higher IQ (perhaps its simply a more active and tolerant brain) would be able to handle this incoming information successfully and create wonders with it. The theory states that an LLH mind that could handle this would essentially be a genius mind, just waiting to bear fruit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Who's post are you talking about? If you're talking about mine, it's true nothing of what I wrote was my wisdom but it was all my own words. In my view that makes it a valid form of self-expression which is as good a redeeming point as any. If you're talking about the others, whats wrong with a question? It's questions that keeps the innovative and inventine cogs of humanity turning and it is opinions and viewpoints that can enrich understanding on the personal level.

How are any of these posts worthless exactly?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it that when someone writes to you saying they're a "either a'genious' or a psycho", you know it's the latter? :D

Reactions: Ectoplasm

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is it that when someone writes to you saying they're a "either a'genious' or a psycho", you know it's the latter? :D
Everyone puts down spelling and grammar mistakes as a sign of poor intelligence (sadly even I do!) But I can't help but wonder whether it is spelling and grammar mistakes which have always been an important mechanism in the development and endless change in the wording and language structure of written languages over the years. Where's the diversity if everyone spells words correctly all the time?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Everyone puts down spelling and grammar mistakes as a sign of poor intelligence (sadly even I do!) But I can't help but wonder whether it is spelling and grammar mistakes which have always been an important mechanism in the development and endless change in the wording and language structure of written languages over the years. Where's the diversity if everyone spells words correctly all the time?
Intuitively, I would think that misspellings SHOULD pave the way to new words...specifically, words that can describe something NEW but related. Sort of like producing fraternal twins.

But that doesn't seem to be the case. :crazy:

"Carrot" vs "Carat".. totally different things, easy to misspell. Unless, of course the carat system was inspired by the composition and/or color family of the actual root vegetable. :p

"Great" vs "Grate"... same scenario.

In an informal sense though, I have noticed some cases where misspellings cause new meanings.

For example, "light" being misspelled as "lite". Now that word is a standard indicator of a diet food. :p
And "quick" --> "kwik". Now that almost exclusively indicates that a place sells slurpees. :laughing:

But grammatical errors can completely derange the intended meaning of a statement, so I guess that's used as a "red flag" for low intelligence because it indicates an inability to communicate or provide the correct response. (When in reality, the listener/reader simply wasn't able to gather the intended message due to the structural mess caused by incorrect usage of grammar.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
It was just a joke, honestly! I usually ignore these things but when you see that particular word misspelt, you can't really let it go.:laughing:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
It was just a joke, honestly! I usually ignore these things but when you see that particular word misspelt, you can't really let it go.:laughing:
I am ashamed to admit that I was thinking it. I wasn't going to say anything, though. lol

Anyhow, I disagree with the main point of this thread. A person can have a high IQ and still be insane, whether or not sensitivity is a factor.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I suppose having a reasonably high IQ is a prerequisite for becoming a genius. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with the likelihood of being a 'psycho' whether that often misused word refers to psychotic or psychopathic.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My question I have (perhaps the reason I'm not a genius!) is what is IQ? From my awkward encounters and experience with the scientific communitiy I saw an image which suggested that nobody knew how to correctly measure intelligence. MBTI seems to factor in the theory of multiple intelligences (and sometimes as an extension, multiple IQs) as validated and proven theories. Yet neither theory is proven and dismissed as pseudo-science in some circles (even though recent study and my gut feeling suggest its true.) Equally the IQ tests seem to be criticised as relics in my experience too.

What if there was no such thing as intelligent quotient, what if intelligence could never be measured accurately in imperfect being? What would be the central catalyst be in intelligence and determining the diffrence between a "genius and a psycho?"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts