Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am having trouble distinguishing between myself as an introvert or an extravert. Whenever I'm in a learning environment (library/classroom), I am reserved and quiet. However, when I'm at a party or on break I'm a really talkative, excited person. Do any ISTP/ESTP have any insight onto this? Thanks for reading, reader.

·
Registered
420 Posts
:|

The I and E is simply a matter of preference. Which venue do you prefer, which activity do you find more rewarding?

The difference between ISTP and ESTP is another thing entirely.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Two options here

The simple, lazy which of those options do you prefer or naturally/ happily spend more time in
The better, more complete reading desxcriptions/stuff to get more info and determine which is closer to you

A third proposal, retake an MBTI test with percentages (I can suggest one) which will let you see how much of a deviant you may be from full on I/E

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Two suggestions

- one, declare yourself ambiverted mostly with some best fit

- two, note that in the usually used model, ISTP is a Ti-dominant and ESTP's an Se-dominant, and those come with different vibes. I know two examples of each from my life (note - the ESTP is actually the more academically and career-wise high-chasing type and has more to show etc -- so being a thinking type isn't really going to translate into this sort of thing).

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hi! I am having trouble distinguishing between myself as an introvert or an extravert. Whenever I'm in a learning environment (library/classroom), I am reserved and quiet. However, when I'm at a party or on break I'm a really talkative, excited person. Do any ISTP/ESTP have any insight onto this? Thanks for reading, reader.
Hahaha I have the same problem. Though I'm not as clear with the preferences as you are when at a party.

I would ask you, which one makes you more energized, which one will you want to keep up longer? If there's even a noticeable difference for you with that.

:|

The I and E is simply a matter of preference. Which venue do you prefer, which activity do you find more rewarding?
Let me complicate this too. :p

It could be that someone finds both of them rewarding, just in different ways.

I think the more generic version of this question is, "which one makes you feel more energized?"

The difference between ISTP and ESTP is another thing entirely.
Could you tell me more about that? :)

Two suggestions

- one, declare yourself ambiverted mostly with some best fit

- two, note that in the usually used model, ISTP is a Ti-dominant and ESTP's an Se-dominant, and those come with different vibes. I know two examples of each from my life (note - the ESTP is actually the more academically and career-wise high-chasing type and has more to show etc -- so being a thinking type isn't really going to translate into this sort of thing).
Can you put those vibes into words?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Let me complicate this too. :p

It could be that someone finds both of them rewarding, just in different ways.

I think the more generic version of this question is, "which one makes you feel more energized?"
The problem with this is that being Se-aux also means that we get charged up from being in physically stimulating or exciting situations. Doesn't necessarily mean that we prefer it over the other, but we can get energized by it. This is why I focused on preference / reward- since that implies an after-the-fact consideration when Se isn't there to muddy the waters.

Basically, which of the activities would you chose to do, time and again when given the choice between them?

Could you tell me more about that? :)
ISTPs think more than act. ESTPs act more than think.

Basically ISTPs think so much they handicap themselves through inactivity and apathy. In their heads they've already raced to the finish and back again and are throughly bored of the competition. Not exactly sure about ESTPs, but I would think that the ESTP's weakness is their tendency to jump before they think. Taking on risks and dares without fully understanding the consequences. Rushing ahead of their competitors- and off the cliff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My test results put me more or less in the middle between ISTP and ESTP (Ti-Se and Ni-Fe are approximately equal) but I relate to ISTP much more than ESTP.
So I second reading the type descriptions and seeing which fits you best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two options here

The simple, lazy which of those options do you prefer or naturally/ happily spend more time in
The better, more complete reading desxcriptions/stuff to get more info and determine which is closer to you

A third proposal, retake an MBTI test with percentages (I can suggest one) which will let you see how much of a deviant you may be from full on I/E
Please do!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The problem with this is that being Se-aux also means that we get charged up from being in physically stimulating or exciting situations. Doesn't necessarily mean that we prefer it over the other, but we can get energized by it. This is why I focused on preference / reward- since that implies an after-the-fact consideration when Se isn't there to muddy the waters.
Then out the window goes the chance to reject the possibility that I'm more ISTP. :/ I was thinking Se stuff energized me because I was an extravert. :p

Anyway what I said about I or E being more energizing or less draining over a longer time, that's a pretty commonly used principle to decide I or E preference. I suppose it isn't necessarily defining if some ISTP's get energized just as much by both. *shrug*

Basically, which of the activities would you chose to do, time and again when given the choice between them?
But I already talked about that issue, what if someone wouldn't mind choosing either again? I am like that. Maybe OP too, though he's yet to say anything about that.

ISTPs think more than act. ESTPs act more than think.
If only it was that simple!! No.

Basically ISTPs think so much they handicap themselves through inactivity and apathy. In their heads they've already raced to the finish and back again and are throughly bored of the competition. Not exactly sure about ESTPs, but I would think that the ESTP's weakness is their tendency to jump before they think. Taking on risks and dares without fully understanding the consequences. Rushing ahead of their competitors- and off the cliff.
Yeah, well, I'm not doing either extreme as described here.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
itsme45 said:
Can you put those vibes into words​

Possibly -- the thing is that would depend on what sort of translation into words were desired; when I speak of vibes, mostly it refers to my own intuitive sense of how to tell what happens when Se is leading, etc. But if I had to give a generalized answer outside of a particular instance, I'd just end up spewing the technical difference between Se and Ti dominant types, which would probably be something you understand well already.
In some cases though if a legit Ti-dom ISTP has sort of diminished sensation and intuition takes on an almost equal footing, that can be a clue. But otherwise, it's really the difference between extraverted + irrational and introvert + rational which I think you can see a lot of clues of if you know someone inside out. It has little to do with skill, and everything to do with habituation unto self-identification with a certain mode.​

·
Registered
420 Posts
Then out the window goes the chance to reject the possibility that I'm more ISTP. :/ I was thinking Se stuff energized me because I was an extravert. :p

Anyway what I said about I or E being more energizing or less draining over a longer time, that's a pretty commonly used principle to decide I or E preference. I suppose it isn't necessarily defining if some ISTP's get energized just as much by both. *shrug*

But I already talked about that issue, what if someone wouldn't mind choosing either again? I am like that. Maybe OP too, though he's yet to say anything about that.

If only it was that simple!! No.

Yeah, well, I'm not doing either extreme as described here.
I wanted to mention that the reason why a person prefers a chosen activity trumps what the activity actually consists of. But I was too lazy to edit my post.

An Extrovert could very well prefer a library because it is an environment that they feel secure and in control of, that they can project their personality and their ideas with no fear of reprisal or derision, only acceptance and validation. While an Introvert could very well prefer a party because it meets their needs, it allows them to escape from a disaster of a reality and allows them to sink into the safety and security of their inner world.

:F Do I really have to cut out all general statements / personal opinions and only talk in exact "yes this happened on the 12th of Nov 2012" facts when talking with you? I'm saying not as an end-all description of all ISTPs and ESTPs but simply a matter of how a difference in perspective might be differentiated. Yeah not everyone lives in such cleanly defined extremes, and everything I posit has an exception that can derail my opinions but I'm positing extremes only so the subtle differences can be more clearly defined- an exaggeration for the sake of example. Do I honestly have to disclaim every post with that preface and spell out every last bit so that you'd stop nitpicking on every single minute detail of my points?

Sure, we can say that everyone at some point in their life would manifest characteristics similar to other types or that they don't act to the extremes that other people of their type claim to be in. But if everyone is colored the same special shade of gray then why in the world are we even trying to differentiate, since we're all unique snowflakes in the end. Why in the world try to divide and classify through MBTI, when in the end, we're all equipped with the same deck, of the same 8 functions, when in any context any type can easily be reassigned to another depending on the context and the situation.

How in the world would you like me to demonstrate the difference between an ISTP and an ESTP when "well they kinda act the same, and think the same really...I don't think anyone is that much of a stereotype". Well no one in the fucking world is. Stereotypes are only there to convey general concepts and ideas, and if the OP doesn't want to be a lazy twat, they'd figure out for themselves which stereotype they identify more with and which less, which they can relate more to and which they are more Meh about.

Not "Soppixo is so full of shit, I'm not a walking stereotype!!" but "Well, I'd relate with some of what soppixo said about stereotypical ISTP behavior more than ESTP behavior."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to mention that the reason why a person prefers a chosen activity trumps what the activity actually consists of. But I was too lazy to edit my post.

An Extrovert could very well prefer a library because it is an environment that they feel secure and in control of, that they can project their personality and their ideas with no fear of reprisal or derision, only acceptance and validation. While an Introvert could very well prefer a party because it meets their needs, it allows them to escape from a disaster of a reality and allows them to sink into the safety and security of their inner world.

:F Do I really have to cut out all general statements / personal opinions and only talk in exact "yes this happened on the 12th of Nov 2012" facts when talking with you? I'm saying not as an end-all description of all ISTPs and ESTPs but simply a matter of how a difference in perspective might be differentiated. Yeah not everyone lives in such cleanly defined extremes, and everything I posit has an exception that can derail my opinions but I'm positing extremes only so the subtle differences can be more clearly defined- an exaggeration for the sake of example. Do I honestly have to disclaim every post with that preface and spell out every last bit so that you'd stop nitpicking on every single minute detail of my points?

Sure, we can say that everyone at some point in their life would manifest characteristics similar to other types or that they don't act to the extremes that other people of their type claim to be in. But if everyone is colored the same special shade of gray then why in the world are we even trying to differentiate, since we're all unique snowflakes in the end. Why in the world try to divide and classify through MBTI, when in the end, we're all equipped with the same deck, of the same 8 functions, when in any context any type can easily be reassigned to another depending on the context and the situation.

How in the world would you like me to demonstrate the difference between an ISTP and an ESTP when "well they kinda act the same, and think the same really...I don't think anyone is that much of a stereotype". Well no one in the fucking world is. Stereotypes are only there to convey general concepts and ideas, and if the OP doesn't want to be a lazy twat, they'd figure out for themselves which stereotype they identify more with and which less, which they can relate more to and which they are more Meh about.

Not "Soppixo is so full of shit, I'm not a walking stereotype!!" but "Well, I'd relate with some of what soppixo said about stereotypical ISTP behavior more than ESTP behavior."
Did not mean to strike a nerve.

·
Registered
856 Posts

difference between an ESTP and an ISTP

Dammit, now I have to watch the movie.

As an aside, when wanting to watch a sequel to a movie, does anyone else feel the need to watch the all the movies leading up to it first? For example, I'll have to watch Fistful of and For A Few before I can watch The Good.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Dammit, now I have to watch the movie.

As an aside, when wanting to watch a sequel to a movie, does anyone else feel the need to watch the all the movies leading up to it first? For example, I'll have to watch Fistful of and For A Few before I can watch The Good.
Great film. One of my favorites of all time.

The trilogy is a bit funny. The good the Bad and the Ugly takes place before the events of the first and after the second. You get much more out of them watching in order. I never realised the small things till I watched them all in order.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts