Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do ENTP's deal with "stressful" situations...?

I don't know any ENTP's and was wondering in general if there was a common way that ENTP's deal with
"stressful" situations...

"stressful" situations meaning:
Something to the extent of a university assignment, a speech to a large gathering, an interview...
(I say "stressful" because most of the time I don't get stressed over these things when others do... and I don't have another word to replace it at this point in time.)

I have found that I have an, "I don't care", kind of attitude.

When I am in a "stressful" situation I find I take on board this attitude.
I still work hard and strive to do my best and want to succeed but if/when I succeed (in what ever my aim was) I find I am just blank about it all. No emotion. ** Obviously there are some exceptions etc. but for the most part, this is the case...

I think I do it because if "I don't care", when I don't succeed, it doesn't bother me as much.

As an example:
For Uni interview (to get offered a place) --- I have this whole
"If you want me, you'll get me, but if you don't want me then meh stuff you" ... --- an "I don't care" attitude...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I deal with my stress by asking myself, "Why am I stressed?"

These are often my stressors

Money
Job
Parents

If I were to only consider myself living in this world, I'd be somewhat of a minimum wage worker. I want to enjoy life and money is not a requirement for the type of lifestyle I am achieving. However, money stresses me out because I am not financially independent. Every penny I spend must be validated by the code of conduct established interally within me because it is not my money. People nowadays are too focused on money as a key to "living life." Money doesn't change anything if the person holding that wad of bucks is an asshole in the first place because he will be an asshole to himself, not a correct way to enjoy life.

Jobs are a pain to come by in this world because everyone wants to manage another person. I am horrible at committing to work like a robot, which employers really, really want. They want someone that doesn't question their position, ranking, and integrity. They want a slave that will subdue to their power and never let them climb higher than they are. Of course, this is not the correct way to describe all the employers but they want someone that can commit and abuse. If you're ready to submit, then you'll find a job. If you want a job, think like the interviewer/employer and submit to those ideals.

Dad is a IXTJ and mom is a typical ESFJ. They are horrible at understanding the things I do. They have sacrificed a lot for me by providing and allowing myself to develop that potential, however, their outlook on this world and life is too different for me to even consider living like them. Lastly, they don't understand the way I live.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Stressful situations are stressful.

It's all relative.

Addressing 3000 people on something I don't really understand: Not stressful.

Finding my checkbook (I think it's on my desk somewhere): STRESSFUL

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I get intense, and focused. I take don't care attitude to a point, but it's toward people. Often it's like spinning my wheels, I'm thinking and working flat out, 90 miles an hour and seemingly not progressing at similar rate. After the initial surge of I can do this, I can get this done, I don't care, it's going to happen and be done above par. I get tired and easy to piss off.

Reactions: ZeRo

·
Banned
998 Posts
I don't really get stressed. Not nearly as much as other people at least. But if I do then I get focused, sleep deprived, etc. This rarely happens though, since I plan in a way that if I need to drop something I can. I avoid tying myself down to some kind of commitment whenever I can.

So I guess I deal with stressful situations by avoiding them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't really get stressed. Not nearly as much as other people at least. But if I do then I get focused, sleep deprived, etc. This rarely happens though, since I plan in a way that if I need to drop something I can. I avoid tying myself down to some kind of commitment whenever I can.

Yes, I get focussed... pedantic... sleep deprived (sometimes I have to play music when I sleep to break the silence and stop me thinking (hearing my thoughts on work etc)...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes, I get focussed... pedantic... sleep deprived (sometimes I have to play music when I sleep to break the silence and stop me thinking (hearing my thoughts on work etc)...

I also try plan to avoid being stressed...

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
If I'm also dehydrated and physically taxed/exhausted while being stressed I become prone to emotional responses. It pisses me off sometimes.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Focused and sleep deprived ... sounds pretty much like an SJ :crazy:
Hahahaa.. I know when I am starting to get stressed when I start acting like a crazy focussed perfectionist... (not myself)... Mostly when I know I can get things done within the small, small time space that I have got because I didn't start a project till the last minute. :crazy:

·
Registered
98 Posts

I also try plan to avoid being stressed...
It's the same for me. But I've got much better at handling stress lately. Some kind of revelation + I think I've developed my Si and Fe quite a bit the past months.

The biggest source of stress for me is doing academic presentations. I have no trouble speaking in front of people per se, but I have a great fear of showing incompetence in the subject I'm about to speak of in public. E contrario, when I'm confident about the subject I feel no stress.

About focused and sleep deprived sounding like SJs
I've actually never encountered that in SJs, to my knowing. I know of three ISFJs and two ESFJ. The ISFJs seems to handle all stressful situations by not allowing them to be. [Okay so I admit I've never encountered a stressed one] The ESFJs they become sleep deprived Zombies though. But focused, naaah :tongue:

·
Banned
998 Posts
About focused and sleep deprived sounding like SJs
I've actually never encountered that in SJs, to my knowing. I know of three ISFJs and two ESFJ. The ISFJs seems to handle all stressful situations by not allowing them to be. [Okay so I admit I've never encountered a stressed one] The ESFJs they become sleep deprived Zombies though. But focused, naaah :tongue:
You misunderstand, my friend. SJs are just generally sleep deprived. I mean that in the sense that they sleep less than most other people. My dad is ISTJ, sleeps probably 5-7 hours per night, even on weekdays, and constantly seems like he's irritated and stressed out. In reality that is just how he is. The word "fun" doesn't have much meaning to him. So while he's not experiencing the internal emotions of stress and sleep deprivation, it just comes across as such due to his personality.

So, when I'm stressed I act like my dad does on a daily basis (meaning functioning on little sleep, coming across as irritated). To an extent. I will always be fun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm usually the anchor in a storm. Everyone around me will be in a frantic hurry or even to the point of panic while I just sit back drinking my coke/coffee/beer and occasionally check facebook/out the hot girl/a magazine/ or stare with apathy.

My coworkers/classmates will be running around frantically. You could hear the stress in their voice and one will always say something along the lines of "why are you not worried?!" I simply pick up a phone or go straight to the boss and say we're working to full capacity and it's not going to be done today. We end up getting extra time and no one is stressing anymore.

When someone is bleeding then it's real fun. Everyone is a drama actor. I have to tell people to shut up and leave because the're not making things any better. Staying calm is something that is greatly stressed in first responder courses, so it helps to be an ENTP for this.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
tcch. I outsource my stress to Bengal. High turnover though. the hires drop like flies...& during the most inconvenient times, too. Usually right before the holidays or exams... something about heart attacks. Good thing they're cheap.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I get stressed when I have too many things to do at once. That's too many things to do, not too many to think about. I start to get more apparently extraverted and loud, and whizz around and for a while am very efficient. If the pressure increases then I get all ISTJ, narrow the focus, just do the one thing that I need to do right now, at a time, start making lists and ticking things off. Only I'm a crap ISTJ as this is how I ended up forgetting to renew my car insurance.

I have analysed how I got myself to these points over the years and concluded that my difficulty with delegation (cos I know nobody can do this better than I can) is the problem, and I have learned to say no.

I can't think of any individual situations that I find stressful. Presentations, interviews, operating, etc are all fine. All of them at once might be an issue :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I swear a lot and become an unhealthy ISTJ if I get stressed. But that only generally happens if I've been waiting for ages. Other wise I'm calm uncaring and relaxed. If I'm waiting on people too much though I get crabit and figety and whenI'm no longer waiting I'm going 3000mph stressed. I hate waiting. I can't stand still (I called the doctor he said son, I cannot...)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swear a lot and become an unhealthy ISTJ if I get stressed. But that only generally happens if I've been waiting for ages. Other wise I'm calm uncaring and relaxed. If I'm waiting on people too much though I get crabit and figety and whenI'm no longer waiting I'm going 3000mph stressed. I hate waiting. I can't stand still (I called the doctor he said son, I cannot...)
Talking about waiting.. I am usually a very patient person. I can wait for hours on people if they just send me a text or call etc., just the thought that counts. Just the courtesy.

I have a major problem when people start conversations with you (on an Instant Messenger) and ask how you are and then you reply asking them and it takes them 10 mins to reply... Even though they started the conversation. Why bother wasting my time with a "conversation" where the person who engaged in the conversation doesn't talk...? :bored:

I can't stand that... I know it's not a big deal but it enrages me.

Or when I ask work if the days I work have changed, a week prior, and they don't get back to me until the day of work when I have already arrived (and it has been changed).

:dry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts