Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can one accurately guess someone's personality type? I realize there can't be 100% accuracy, but what are some good tips and strategies? What should one pay attention to about certain people? What are some things to keep in mind?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,477 Posts
How can one accurately guess someone's personality type? I realize there can't be 100% accuracy, but what are some good tips and strategies? What should one pay attention to about certain people? What are some things to keep in mind?
Start with the temperaments. Work your way out from there.

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Beer Guardian
17,477 Posts

·
Beer Guardian
17,477 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Everyone here probably has a different method. Often people haven't attended a class for this. I haven't.

The simplest way I'd put it is to know your cognitive functions and study conversations of people that are said to match what you intend to observe. Find patterns and learn to recognize them. Comment on threads in the Guess the Type forum, make mistakes and learn. Also, do your best not to believe something just because someone tells you. We all have to start somewhere, but there are misunderstandings of what is what everywhere that will slow down your ability to type appropriately.

The less simple way is a process I went through myself. You must acknowledge cognitive functions by:

• their individual definitions (Ni is..., Si is...)

• their style of performing (learn Pi [Ni, Si], Pe [Ne, Se], Ji [Ti, Fi] and Je [Te, Fe] and how their distinctive styles differ and relate)

• their role in developing a thought (be able to work out how Ni-Fe-Ti-Se would solve a real-life problem, and other cognitive setups).

At that point I insist you train yourself on recognizing the functions by definition, performance and role in active subjects. Make mistakes and keep trying. It'll help to correspond with people that know how to type appropriately. Whether you find them or not, as long as you repeat the process I mentioned earlier you should be able to catch on by yourself.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
@Autumn Y Better yet, go to Guess the Type, pick a specimen to be analyzed, have people type it for you, then ask them how they got their result. I have a decent handle on typing (consistent process, consistent results), so if you need a demonstration of a certain MBTI type via a celeb I'd supply it for you, and give you evidence.

Consensus on a type in Guess the Type isn't extremely common, so conflicting views might be more pervasive. Anyway, determine how you learn best. I'd be willing since it helps me keep in practice.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know that we can guess types do to the facts that we all wear masks.. I am the puppet master baby.. if you guess my type I would be surprised. Lol

·
Beer Guardian
17,477 Posts
Why can't I disagree with you?

Logical groupings? Divide and conquer? Narrow things down by half and the other half gets much easier.

·
Registered
287 Posts
-At least adequate understanding of the functions.
-Observation

Or, you could do the lazy and inaccurate thing and stereotype.(Guilty, when lazy.[lazy 90% of the time])

Reactions: Autumn Y
1 - 11 of 11 Posts