Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever looked back and found after all the twists and turns you've taken in life that you no longer feel like the same person? Maybe you made decisions you never thought you would make. Maybe you lost friends you thought you would have for the rest of your life. Maybe you went through something traumatic or even lost a loved one. Either way, when you look back at yourself in the past and look at yourself in the present, you find you're somewhere you never thought you would be.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation like this? How did you cope with the disconnect between who you always felt you were and who you now were in the present?

When you're lost in life, how do you reconnect to who you are?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
That is a really great question. I feel completely different than when I was in my early twenties. I spent the transition on self reflection, journaling my journey, painting, and helping other loved ones. In my own experiences, having visions regarding art projects and having trusting people in my life extremely helpful and rewarding. I believe it all works out somehow in the end, so I've learned not to worry so much about the minute details. That was only up until a few years ago. I find this universe is chaos, but constructed chaos that ends up doing what it's suppose to do. Do your best and be a good person and the rest works itself out. Still, improve on yourself the best way you know how.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What a interesting read! I definitely have been pondering this myself lately. I was born in a different city but at the age of 13 decided I wanted something more from where I came from and moved to another city with my mom. I actually booked a flight back to my childhood town. Every time I visit, I always have been very nostalgic and wondered, "what if I stayed?". Fortunately, every time I left, I would eventually come to the conclusion "I wouldn't have been the person I needed to be". Although I can't describe what this means exactly, but I really believe that the path I set on is something I innately was always meant to do. It's just a natural feeling.

In summary, I think no matter how lost you are have faith that your subconscious is really looking out for you... whether you realize it or not :)

·
Super Moderator
11,361 Posts
If I were to narrate my life travels in a short cohesive story, I’m going to end up expressing, “No, I don’t believe I’m where I’m at now.”
It’s quite a strange thing looking back on many of the events I know that “I felt like I was lost.”... they were moments. The realest thing is that I find my way (and have always done it my way). It really doesn’t matter that I can’t believe where I’m at now, I’m still going my own way. So, I don’t believe I’ve been lost or am lost... they were/are my travels and that is enough for me.

You will make your way, because as long as you have you... you are enough; you’re own personal journey.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Have you ever looked back and found after all the twists and turns you've taken in life that you no longer feel like the same person? Maybe you made decisions you never thought you would make. Maybe you lost friends you thought you would have for the rest of your life. Maybe you went through something traumatic or even lost a loved one. Either way, when you look back at yourself in the past and look at yourself in the present, you find you're somewhere you never thought you would be.
Yes

Have you ever found yourself in a situation like this? How did you cope with the disconnect between who you always felt you were and who you now were in the present?
I don't really have much attachment to who I thought I was because I'm interested in the truth about myself -- getting to the heart of who I really am. There are times I disappoint myself but overall when I do something the old me never thought I would do, it's not really all that shocking. Like I can look back and see how oh yeah, it actually makes sense how I got here. My goal is growth so I find new realizations about myself through my various experiences to be enlightening even if they are initially unsettling and hard to accept. I love to learn so I always find it invigorating.

Spending a lot of time alone. When I have time alone, I am able to reconnect with my inner voice. The insights I receive while alone are also very empowering to me. I am reminded of who I am or am meant to be deep down. It's when I over extend myself, burn myself out with other people or get lost in others that I lose sight of myself. I also tend to second guess myself more when I'm around others. My sense of self doesn't feel as solid in their presence. But when I'm alone, and I have that time to meditate, listen to music, be creative etc. - my sense of self is very solid and strong. I'm still aware I need other people to operate in life and do well though. A good support network does wonders.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Thanks for this thread.

I'm definitely a different person as compared to, say, 20yrs ago. I'm now a lot more confident, stronger in my Fe, but also more cynical. In the past, I put a lot of naive trust in people, believing that as long as I'm genuinely good to people, they will reciprocate but I realised that's not true. People respond better to fake kindness. Even perceived good friends can betray you. It used to hurt me a lot but these experiences made me a more resilient person. I also came to understand that 'no one is indispensable' as my life went on beautifully without them, and I learned to recognise who my true friends were. Now I let people go easily. If we don't get along, I sever. I've also lost loved ones in traumatic ways which made me realise (painfully) that we have to treasure what we have.

I've made a lot of wrong decisions in my life and have done stupid things but I don't regret them because they made me who I am today. Looking back, I've always been aware of who I am at the core. That has never changed. It's just that I was, for a period, lost in trying to please people. So it was just me going back to being the real me.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Art returns me to my default settings. I read a book, a poem, whatever, that I read before, I become what I was when I read it before. Same for to hear a symphony, see a ballet or play, see a painting, and so on.

Same for revisiting a particular site: I could name off half a dozen locations which, revisited, bring me back to my core values just by being there again.

And same for revisiting stable people in my life.

With all of these, suddenly my personal departures and mis-steps come into focus as such.

We have a thread about--what was it?--something like ability to dispose of or keep personal items. For me, this is closely related to the above. There are items which are like points of the compass to me, keeping me calibrated with my personal reality. Lose those, lose the above, and I'm drifting without compass, without rudder, without direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts

If you project you life in eternity, changes in few years or few decades in your life is almost nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts