Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you solutions to fixing this economy?

It seems that the richer get richer even in a downturn which goes to tell you a lot about what a poor economy actually is. What solutions have you to close this asymetric gap?

·
Registered
91 Posts
What are you solutions to fixing this economy?

It seems that the richer get richer even in a downturn which goes to tell you a lot about what a poor economy actually is. What solutions have you to close this asymetric gap?
Nothing. It is fine. This is a down turn, but that happens. The economy has a way of fluctuating.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing. It is fine. This is a down turn, but that happens. The economy has a way of fluctuating.
There is NOTHING to see here folks. Move along... keep moving... 10 million homeless kids, 9% of adults who want a job but can't get one, poverty that is way up.

THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE I SAY... NOTHING!

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is NOTHING to see here folks. Move along... keep moving... 10 million homeless kids, 9% of adults who want a job but can't get one, poverty that is way up.

THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE I SAY... NOTHING!
I'd rather live in this time than the Great Depression. It will pull itself out and eventually sink again in another 45 or so years.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, leaving all that extra money in people's bank accounts leads to people overpaying for things like housing. People also spend more on transportation. The proportion spent on housing has doubled since the 20s according to some numbers. Ironically, it was housing that crashed the system too. Remember all those people overpaying for their houses in 2005? They have too much money apparently.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
It's kind of interesting actually... the highest tax bracket was 92% in the 50s. It was 77% in the 60s, 70% in the 70s. Now it is 35%

National Taxpayers Union - History of Federal Individual Income Bottom and Top Bracket Rates
What this story doesn't tell is that nearly nobody paid those rates, after you factor in the countless loopholes, and the total revenue in relation to the GDP is now actually bigger than it ever was at any point in the nineteen fifties.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What this story doesn't tell is that nearly nobody paid those rates, after you factor in the countless loopholes, and the total revenue in relation to the GDP is now actually bigger than it ever was at any point in the nineteen fifties.
Well by definition few are going to pay because few fall in that bracket to start with anyway. But total revenue is pointless when you have 10 million homeless kids, for instance. Obviously there's a problem even if the federal government has more money.

Also, the total population is up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
well the current system...it works in it's own way and in order to make a better system you would have to tear the current model down, take lands and immovable ownings such as houses from people to gow and make people pay rent to gow for their houses (the amount per square meter should be same to everyone), lands and so on by working (and giving people some extra too according to their study grade), no taxes needed as those should be included in living costs such as house and land rent

that kind of system could potentially be better than the current one, although it would have some trouble too with certain things like forests and fields...

AND transforming current system into one i descripted...would require something even bigger than ww3, possibly it could be done if humanity ever moved to another planet, but thats bit farfetched...

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
This entire topic is a joke. It's a projection of the deep insecurity that the OP has between himself and his environment. It has nothing to do with the state of the world or the economy. The fact of the matter is - which anyone with any proper academic education in the matter would know - that we have extremely qualified experts and geniuses from around the world handling these questions and issues in an expedient scientific matter, and nothing you or I have to say or could even begin to conjure up for a discussion measures up to the real work that real experts are doing right now to 'solve' any 'problems' this, or any other economy has.

There's absolutely nothing to be gained from engaging in this discussion, hence why I said the economy is 'fine' - because, quite frankly, it is. And if you don't understand why that is true, then you really just don't understand economics. Nothing is going to ever stop human beings from engaging in commerce with each other, barring some kind of total global extinction event. It is part of our human psychology and physiology to engage in this behavior, and we will continue to do so until we cease to exist. The only operation that is in question is how to do this efficiently and that question is really a pandora's box of other unanswered questions and dilemmas for both political philosophy and general physics, not to mention psychology and cognitive science.

But maybe I'm underestimating the OP. Maybe you're more qualified than I'm assuming and you have the master plan to rule all master plans.

Please. Tell us a story, OP. What do you think ought be done 'bout everything?

And while you're at it, I'll have the venti mocha latte please. Thank you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's absolutely nothing to be gained from engaging in this discussion, hence why I said the economy is 'fine'
And yet you are engaging in it... this is like one of those alternate universes where everything is backwards and confusing.

I guess you mean the geniuses like Greenspan lowering the interest rates and the fraudulent bank loans... tada...tada... and why are you still here with such confidence in these people? There's nothing here for you to learn...move along...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the current system...it works in it's own way and in order to make a better system you would have to tear the current model down, take lands and immovable ownings such as houses from people to gow and make people pay rent to gow for their houses (the amount per square meter should be same to everyone), lands and so on by working (and giving people some extra too according to their study grade), no taxes needed as those should be included in living costs such as house and land rent

that kind of system could potentially be better than the current one, although it would have some trouble too with certain things like forests and fields...

AND transforming current system into one i descripted...would require something even bigger than ww3, possibly it could be done if humanity ever moved to another planet, but thats bit farfetched...
Some of what you are saying is kind of like communism...such as equal land for everyone. I don't think you need to start over nor do people need to own equal land. But there is TONS and TONS of land out there and the government could lower house prices by freeing some of it or establishing permanently affordable housing rules.

The cost of food and mostly everything else has lowered over the years for the most part as technology has improved efficiency. Housing on the other hand is an irrational market where it is treated like a bank account to draw against in retirement. It is intentionally manipulated (like dumbass Greenspan) by those who don't understand that the only way to make things more affordable is to increase the supply of housing and not the supply of money. Any bright economist would have known this.

·
Banned
486 Posts
The economy............ are you asking about the methodology or just the economy as it stands as its currently defined?

The economy (in my case speaking of Canada) as is will be fine, individual people might be fucked but the economy is always fine. Business practices need some tweaking. It will rise and fall as always and eventually it will rise too high to too few hands and it will spill over again, as it has every time in history that power/wealth has become too concentrated. Those up top will suffer for being up top at the hands of the bottom, and some of those at the bottom will find themselves up top repeating the cycle all over again. If you're concerned about this eventual outcome don't be, that is how the balance re-adjusts.

I do have to say though that you should not trust in financial experts, or your financial papers, or the so called geniuses, to run your money. The economic geniuses are the fellows who got shouted down when they tried to warn of the recent housing collapse and recession. Those so called experts are the people who put the economy where it is. Your banks are not run by educated, well informed, benevolent people, kid yourself all you want.

Want a simple example of how useless and overpaid many people in finance are?

Lusha the monkey outperforms 94% of Russia bankers with her investment portfolio | Mail Online

The monkey stock picker experiment is very common, you can find tons of examples of it and many of them outperform portfolio managers consistently.

In Canada mutual fund management costs range from ~1-4% per year depending on the nature of the fund. These are large funds often in the hundreds of millions of dollars. The companies managing these funds are therefore taking millions of dollars a year to hold onto that money and do.......... nothing of value. In fact more often than not they do worse than an index fund which requires almost no management.

Your economy is fine, but you might want to start enforcing honest business practices and quit bailing out everyone's lunch buddies. I'd be happy to live in a proper capitalist society ruled by free enterprise, but I've yet to see one exist. Much like communism which has never really existed.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts