Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about spending less time on here to focus on my studies. Now, I have a 95% and higher in every class, so I'm quite satisfied, and since I don't have work to do over the weekend, I decided to take advantage of my PerC time to ask you this.

How do you focus? My mind is like an intersection in a road without a spotlight. I can study for about 30 mins or so without getting distracted and still ace a test, but sooner or later my sucky focus skills will catch up to me. I need focusing tips!

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I don't really know, i never really studied for anything in school, and i still did alright in things i was interested in. The closest thing to studying I ever did was reading over my comparitve civilization text book in class and making joke and witty remarks about everything, so i guess that my advice: Make it a fun social thing if you can

When i had homework I like to do it slowly and while distracted, writing a essay in a couple hours while gonig around the internet, when i could of done it in half an hour if I were really trying.

If you're getting a 95 i'd say whaever you're doing is working, if you can only study in short block like that then i say make it a habit to do so, study for half and hour then relax and if you feel that isn't enough gradually increase the studying session inbetween breaks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I realized early on that my success in formal education was often determined by my interest level. This was more and more noticeable as I got older. I mitigated the issue at the post-secondary level by using that ratemyprof website and choosing all my courses based on how engaging/interesting/interested-in-teaching the professors were.

Worked well, feeding off the interest of my profs, I was more than happy to study the material to learn more, because I was genuinely interested. Did extremely well in school as long as I stuck to subjects I was remotely interested in and my professors were capable of holding my attention at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some people need stress to be able to focus. In other words, as the work gets harder with less time to do it, your own abilities will increase to match the challenge.
Yeah, that used to work for me, but now I am usually too good at avoiding stress to be able to employ it as a motivator :p

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I recently posted about spending less time on here to focus on my studies. Now, I have a 95% and higher in every class, so I'm quite satisfied, and since I don't have work to do over the weekend, I decided to take advantage of my PerC time to ask you this.

How do you focus? My mind is like an intersection in a road without a spotlight. I can study for about 30 mins or so without getting distracted and still ace a test, but sooner or later my sucky focus skills will catch up to me. I need focusing tips!
Focus? LOL

Even though I can't really answer your question, I do have something to say about school: it's totally different for everyone. Don't measure your success against anyone else's, just keep trying harder than before. It sucks, but take it from the guy who learns EVERYTHING the hard way: anything in school can be done if you are determined enough. What you want to achieve is up to you, but don't ever believe that a lack of focus or anything can stop you.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
If you're getting a 95 i'd say whaever you're doing is working, if you can only study in short block like that then i say make it a habit to do so, study for half and hour then relax and if you feel that isn't enough gradually increase the studying session inbetween breaks.
Yeah. And you can keep an alarm clock and set it for 30 minutes or so so that you don't have to worry about how much time is passing so you don't become overwhelmed. At least that's what I did. There was no way I could have read 100 pages in one sitting focusing on the 100 pages and how many pages I had left. I would set a timer for 10 minutes. And just be like "ok I can read for 10 minutes" then I'd take a second to stretch or walk around then come back. But I never liked to study at home because it seemed to comfortable. I always had a place (a desk situation with the wood on the sides going up, almost like a cubical situations going on) in the corner of the 4th floor of the library that I went to. No one ever sat there. It had a lot of carvings on it too so I would spend some time appreciating all the dumb things people wrote on there. It was awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts