Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #1
For all you ENFPs out there, what are the challenges of being a highly sensitive extrovert? In this video, I talk about the paradox of being a highly sensitive person and an extrovert, which I believe is the case for the majority of ENFPs. As an ENFP, have you been able to balance your extraversion with proper self-care? Let me know below!

Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
Interesting. I consider myself highly sensitive (hope no one can see that from outside;))

High sensation seeker ? That makes sense to me, once upon a time, when I was a teenager (...)
I was also a very regular swimmer.
Extremelly Harsh with my body.
I understood later my body was like a shield I was using (and it took me years to treat it well).
Mostly when you live in a disfunctional family who does not care about what you feel. Anorexia was on my way.
I was also rushing after adrenaline by chasing men (I had been reputting on weight), avoiding negative emotions with a lot of energy, and much later Eureka, here I met the Enneagramm.

Hypersensitivity. No one ever quoted that word. It would have helped me with the anorexia at that time.
But anyway I felt I was the enemy of every one, my parents and doctors included.
I knew there was a distortion, but more than that I felt my sensitivity was a trap for myself, as if I could not live with a filter, taking everything in, everything and mainly critics, bad energies, stupid info or jokes, my own private space was not respected, my passions were despised or ignored. I was sick of this mainly, of my environment, and yet unable to express it.

Enneagramm
From here my life started to change. I entered a brand new world.
I even travelled to assist enneagramm courses. I discovered step by step how to drop my shield.
Long path.... With some interesting personalities. More than a cold hand-shake. Some real confidences and,
much later, connections.
I often feel particularly emotional when I look back.

Several mood swings on the way of course, before finding more peace with myself.
That is the real freedom : understanding myself, digging deep once again, and trying not to escape
I have been escaping everything, relationships, family, work, several times. Until you understand how to live (within first of all) differently.

Never looking for social life really (I'm sx/sp). Excepting theatre, for several reasons.

I wouldn't tell I'm extrovert.
I'm ambivert for sure. Yes I do have many criteria as you say. That's better than not having enough of them !

I am allergic to loud noises since I practice meditation. Loud people don't enter my life.

I need to relax for 2/3 days when I spend a day out, even if I strictly do what I love and I am highly (the word is weak) selective. So yes, that is taking care of my temple, my ideas, how I treat my soul. And others as well as all of us are connected, in a way....

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing your journey and glad you were able to find a sense of inner peace and confidence. My goal is to help highly sensitive men achieve exactly this while changing the narrative around sensitivity being seen as weak in men

Registered
Yeah so I test as a highly sensitive person/female. I鈥檓 a bit gun-shy of dealing with a label in this one for some reason. I really hate labeling my emotional reactions as if they were 鈥渁 thing鈥 or as if I had a disease. Sensitive skin is hard for me to admit to and I break out constantly... but I just dislike having to say I鈥檓 different as a labrel. I鈥檇 rather say I鈥檓 different because I鈥檓 ne. My skin is does this because it鈥檚 my skin. My heart and tear ducts do this because it鈥檚 just flipping me. Nobody has to learn about some disorder or something. Ugh. But I do know that self-care is the answer but self-care has also been so so difficult to admit I need or admit is even a thing. I think I was 32 or something before I figured out I could make an excuse and leave something early. Oh my gosh... so many memories where I was caught somewhere I shouldn鈥檛 be crying with tears streaming down saying 鈥淚鈥檓 fine.. keep going.鈥 Which is why I hadnt answered yet.

I haven鈥檛 figured out how to deal with it really efficiently. I tend to just plow through and learned to give myself grace the same way I would to someone else. I was also given allowance by my therapist to see my strong emotions as a beautiful thing... and that idea has taken time to adjust to and so I see it as a blessing and a curse, depending on so many variables. My reaction, my family鈥檚 reaction, other people鈥檚 reactions, where aim at, what I鈥檓 reacting to. It all has barring on whether it feels beautiful or funny on some level. You can sometimes figure out quickly who else has a lot of compassion. You can also find out who thinks it is absolutely beautiful鈥 almost exquisite. You can find out who would reject you for it, who thinks your childish, and those who have no clue that such powerful emotions existed in the planet without trying for a second to manipulate others. Who has arms for this? Well... my INFP husband. My ISTP dad, surprisingly, and a few Fe heavy males with arms who knew how to hold that tempest. A few INFP girls who really loved what I love. My music teacher who is also Fe heavy (honestly I think the first Fe heavy female who didn鈥檛 just see it as childish). A INTJ or two who idealized it.

So lol it鈥檚 kind of like when someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter then you know that鈥檚 not a nice person. Sometimes I feel like I鈥檓 the test. My emotions are the freaking compassion test. I didn鈥檛 sign up, is what I鈥檓 saying. If that sounds strong, then chalk it up to me being HSP., I guess. And no it鈥檚 not contagious.

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
I really don't believe I'm an extrovert in the actual term most people use it in, which is a very outgoing individual.

I'm actually shy and introverted, or lean in that direction. I enjoy spending most of my days either at my house or traveling. But it's not traveling to social events or even seeking out social company. I just need my very few close friends and I'm set. I could be described as an ambivert that leans introverted. Still when I examine the MBTI ENFP fits me the best in its description and I've also taken maybe 100 tests from different sites and institutions and I'm always ENFP. Being repetitive doesn't mean it's fact but it certainly forums a coherent hypothesis that I'm an ENFP.

ENFP does not = Extrovert (outgoing). It equals the Functions Ne Fi Te Si, which means Ne (extroverted intuition) is the primary function you prefer and is front and center in almost everything you do. Ne does not equal Socially Extroverted or even close to the term.

I'm also not very sensitive when I compare myself to others around me. I'm rather easy going and have been described as laid back (most of the times). Though certain events can set me off just like any other human in history. I have my own moral hit cards, that could be completely different than another ENFPs set. When I think of sensitive I think of some close people to me that are INFPs or INFJs. Like their melting point is really low compared to my melting point. I'm not necessarily Tungsten or Carbon like an INTJ but I'm also not Hydrogen. I could be in the Titanium or Platinium range which is really above average for your mean. Like if we were to examine my variance I could go up to a Boron on the best of days and on my worst drop to Cobalt. Though this could be because I'm high functioning and just awfully weird, that I examine the world like it's something to be investigated and gauged with my brain that I'm more concentrated on all the what-ifs it can provide me. Who has time to be sensitive?

Registered
@NIHM It's not like you choose to be HSP. HSP is probably not exactly like you're thinking in experience. For me it's more like... I see a girl (an anorexic with bulimia who so didn't want her disease and was working so hard) who I've been working with who is going through a lot and fighting it hard and when she tells me how she is I'm so proud of her that I've got tears going down my cheeks while she is talking to me and can't help it. Actually happy moments are what trigger me the most as an ENFP. The next time I saw this girl I was so proud of her for working through her struggle (I got word from the facility that she had it rough but was working hard) that my tears started even before I said hello. I then have to pretty much beg her to forgive my tears, but it's not like I can just act like I didn't see her. Actually my tears are starting now. It is impossible for me to not have so much compassion for this girl. I really understand the depths of where she was coming from.

I was at a concert about a year and a half ago at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and every time the harpist started playing (Tchikovsky and Debussy) I burst into tears. I'm good at having this be silent-- have had to fight sobs in public places most of my life- but I can't control the tears part. I was front and center. Tears just rolling down. However, like I said... some people think this is absolutely beautiful. The conductor, Multi, who is arguably the best conductor in the world right now... I know he felt this was beautiful because with every bow after every song he looked at me with compassion and love and smiles and I knew he was conducting understanding my reaction to something so uncontrollably beautiful. He blew me a kiss at the end. I totally appreciated the harpist as one of the very best in the world as well who they had brought in especially for these pieces. It was too too beautiful. I had no control about these tears.

I came home and talked to my therapist about it. I'd never talked about it before, but this has always been something I can't help.

Where is that HSP test? There was a post about this by Vivid Melody a few years ago that went on for a while in the NF forum.
Supposedly HSP is really misunderstood when in extroverts, so although I hate the "label" or diagnosis, it is definitely something to talk about for those of us who deal with it.

exploring space
I'm moderately sensitive now but I used to test highly about a decade ago. I wasn't a HS child either, it was developed more towards my late teens. Loud noises, lots of stimuli, a high-pace would overwhelm me and I felt a lot more/deeper than now. I think life situations and how I decided to handle them helped me overcome this and tune it down a bit and I'm very glad I managed that as I'm far more resilient now and able to take care of myself better. I think my NE was kinda hampered during that time, or at least more focused on what moves me emotionally which also made me avoid some things that hurt, but nowadays such things can even inspire me.

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
@NIHM It's not like you choose to be HSP. HSP is probably not exactly like you're thinking in experience.
Supposedly HSP is really misunderstood when in extroverts, so although I hate the "label" or diagnosis, it is definitely something to talk about for those of us who deal with it.
No, It's probably not. Rereading (I didn't watch the video) the original post he just talks about highly sensitive individuals. I did not confuse this with the disorder of HSP. I took it as "Are you a highly sensitive person?" I expressed, No, I'm not in an honest answer to the OP. So I have no clue why you're blowing up at me. I didn't choose to be HSP because I don't have it. MY post also does NOT push that I don't understand the disorder, make light of it, or not say that someone with HSP has a choice in it. Again, I did not feel or think the OP was expressing the disorder. I'm sorry if you suffer from HSP. I never knew that about you nor am I saying that it was not a choice for you. I point blank was expressing, as an ENFP, answer the OPs question if ENFPs are overly sensitive. I do not think I am. I also get a little tired of every newbie that walks in here expressing that ENFPs are somehow extroverted outgoing individuals. So in my post, I expressed again the definition of the MBTI and the explanation of Ne. Again I did not watch the video.

Outside of the disorder of HSP, which I don't directly think of when people ask if I'm highly sensitive. I don't think of Bi-polar disorder if someone asks me if I change my opinion easily. I don't think someone is referring to ASPD if an individual can't cry easily or impulsive. So with someone asking if I'm highly sensitive as an ENFP, I think of two things I've personally experienced in the past. 1. I've experienced individuals label themselves sensitive and then because they're sensitive think that everyone in their MBTI (other ENFPS) must also exhibit this behavior. The OP is the perfect example of this. 2. I've also seen outsiders who have had one sensitive ENFP in their life consider that ALL ENFPs are highly sensitive because we have Fi. Again both points I've argued on multiple occasions, as I've done in this very thread, that they are false and typist behavior. If I can recall only 15% of children experience HSP. I didn't exhibit (fussy or sensitivities) when I was a child.

I did not think he was expressing HSP in his post.

However, talking about sensitivities and you know this about me because we've crossed this before and I've expressed it in every other post you've done this to me. I absolutely react badly when people put words in my mouth and change the meaning of what I meant. Reading more into my words or twisting them into your own agenda seriously irks me. I never once brought up HSP in my post. Again, I stated I am not a highly sensitive individual. Of course, I'm sure that there are issues that can set me off because I am a human being. I'm trying to be crystal clear to you so that you do not twist my words into your own agenda again. I, however, in the past have said that I have been diagnosed with being high function and can be very compulsive about the meaning of my words and thoughts. I did not quote you. I have no clue why you quoted me with issues about the disorder of HSP. I was only answering the OP questions about ENFP (labeling us extroverts) (which I corrected him) and how we highly sensitive (all ENFPs) handle it. I corrected his statement. If you think that all ENFPs are highly sensitive, I was expressing that at least in my case, that it is false to assume. Because as I quote his very first line in a shorter sentence " for ALLLLLLL you ENFPs, what are the challenges to be highly sensitive." I overly pointed out the word ALL so you can take notice of his question.

My caveat in this. When I state "react badly." Someone sees = explosion. When it's really just an "empf" sound that comes out and being more annoyed. I don't slam my hands on the desk, throw papers, cry, and cuss at my computer screen over something so small. However, I could give an eye roll and a long overwritten letter as to not be miss understood again. Hense while I state I don't really have a strong reaction compared to others.

Registered
@NIHM. I didn鈥檛 mean mean any of what I said like I was blowing up at you. I actually didn鈥檛 take anything you said as negative at all except the last line 鈥淲ho has time to be sensitive?鈥 Which was all I meant to reply or clarify about.... so I might have just written my post really unclearly. I鈥檓 sorry if it seemed explosive. I was just trying to clarify my own HSP experience and I thought you were talking about your own experience of not being HSP. You know... I could be completely wrong about this thread even being about HSP. Maybe it鈥檚 not. I totally thought it was talking specifically about HSP. I can see that it could be taken either way.

This could all definitely be my misunderstanding. I didn鈥檛 watch the video either and I thought HSP was the point of this thread and maybe it鈥檚 not? I thought I was just clarifying that I don鈥檛 think I have a choice on the HSP stuff and that HSP doesn鈥檛 have to mean being sensitive to criticism but can mean sensitive in other ways.

Um... NIHM I didn鈥檛 know we ever clashed much before so that鈥檚 also my problem, I guess? It鈥檚 true I hoped to clarify what HSP means as far as I understand it experience it. I had already written quite a bit of personal experiences on this thread so I already felt like I鈥檇 put myself out there about HSP which you might not even have seen. So that could be taken as an agenda when I wrote, so I鈥檓 sorry that came across like I was blowing up at you.

Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
@NIHM. 鈥淲ho has time to be sensitive?鈥
Because it's the truth. My brain thinks so fast on so many different subjects that by the time five minutes have passed I might have forgotten why I was sad or upset about something. On the other side, if it's big enough and someone I truly love and bonded to can have me dive in hours of contemplation of what went wrong and possibly sob in private. Hence lead me to a depressive state of a Ne/Fi loop that hopefully, my Te doesn't chew on long to complete the task of death. My Te strengthening as I've aged has made this ability for myself to complete things even if I have to bulldoze through walls like they're tissue papers. A scientific conclusion would mean that the context of the person I'm handling or news about my ability to be sensitive is reliant on the variable of how close I am to the source. Though I do know things like bigotry can bring my head out of the clouds and take up a protective sword even if it's for a stranger on the street. Again my brain is always in some theoretical and philosophical question feeding at its core of all the what if's that I can fathom. If anything I can't sleep because of my brain and have to take sleeping pills to get to bed. That's how much I think. I've never been able to fall asleep without the assistance of sleeping pills because when I close my eyes, this is the time my brain wants to discuss how to create artificial gravity or go over the statistical numbers of Covid from my job on the next variables within the virus.

Normally this is not the case with everyday moments. Which gives me this overly bubbly happy persona that the world sees. That I'm super cheerful, weird, and say odd things to strangers that they never wanted to know. Which I equated my brain simply doesn't have time to pause on it to be sensitive. Again who has time for that? When I told you my Ne has tested off the charts, it's so there I can't shut it down. I wish my Fi was higher. Either way, I'm not that sensitive when I compare myself to other F types. Though comparing myself to an INTJ, I'm probably sensitive but I've never been described as overly sensitive.

Also, you should know is I'm type 2. Even if you irk me at times, I still mostly have a very high opinion of you and value the context of your thoughts that you deliver. I'm always amazed at how considerate you are to people and sometimes wonder if you have high Fe.

Registered
@NIHM. You鈥檙e awesome just being you. I appreciate you and love hearing your thoughts. Sorry, again for the misunderstanding and me not writing clearly or not being on the right page.

Reactions: ai.tran.75 and NIHM

Registered
More HSP stuff. I鈥檓 trying to read more about it. Also it鈥檚 a moving target. This whole area of psychology is new and getting redefined by different people. I can only know what it is like for me at this point.

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure I agree with loving parties... I have a very conflicted relationship with parties.

Reactions: SensitiveAcceptance

Registered
This is still a new area. I appreciate the way this first study talked so much... that basically these are genes designed to make certain people more highly aware of potential mates, alliances and enemies... that rings so true for me. I guess I鈥檓 going to start owning this stuff...

Reactions: SensitiveAcceptance

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah so I test as a highly sensitive person/female. I鈥檓 a bit gun-shy of dealing with a label in this one for some reason. I really hate labeling my emotional reactions as if they were 鈥渁 thing鈥 or as if I had a disease. Sensitive skin is hard for me to admit to and I break out constantly... but I just dislike having to say I鈥檓 different as a labrel. I鈥檇 rather say I鈥檓 different because I鈥檓 ne. My skin is does this because it鈥檚 my skin. My heart and tear ducts do this because it鈥檚 just flipping me. Nobody has to learn about some disorder or something. Ugh. But I do know that self-care is the answer but self-care has also been so so difficult to admit I need or admit is even a thing. I think I was 32 or something before I figured out I could make an excuse and leave something early. Oh my gosh... so many memories where I was caught somewhere I shouldn鈥檛 be crying with tears streaming down saying 鈥淚鈥檓 fine.. keep going.鈥 Which is why I hadnt answered yet.

I haven鈥檛 figured out how to deal with it really efficiently. I tend to just plow through and learned to give myself grace the same way I would to someone else. I was also given allowance by my therapist to see my strong emotions as a beautiful thing... and that idea has taken time to adjust to and so I see it as a blessing and a curse, depending on so many variables. My reaction, my family鈥檚 reaction, other people鈥檚 reactions, where aim at, what I鈥檓 reacting to. It all has barring on whether it feels beautiful or funny on some level. You can sometimes figure out quickly who else has a lot of compassion. You can also find out who thinks it is absolutely beautiful鈥 almost exquisite. You can find out who would reject you for it, who thinks your childish, and those who have no clue that such powerful emotions existed in the planet without trying for a second to manipulate others. Who has arms for this? Well... my INFP husband. My ISTP dad, surprisingly, and a few Fe heavy males with arms who knew how to hold that tempest. A few INFP girls who really loved what I love. My music teacher who is also Fe heavy (honestly I think the first Fe heavy female who didn鈥檛 just see it as childish). A INTJ or two who idealized it.

So lol it鈥檚 kind of like when someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter then you know that鈥檚 not a nice person. Sometimes I feel like I鈥檓 the test. My emotions are the freaking compassion test. I didn鈥檛 sign up, is what I鈥檓 saying. If that sounds strong, then chalk it up to me being HSP., I guess. And no it鈥檚 not contagious.
Thanks for sharing. Being a highly sensitive person is not intended to be something that we feel the need to pity, or call a "disorder", or make you feel special or different. It truly is a neutral trait, so the goal is not to make HSPs feel like they need special attention, but to have HSPs actually not be seen as outcasts, or "different", but a complementary set of people who have their own strengths to add to society.

And as you said, you learn new ways to manage the trait as you get older and it's always a work in progress. The trait comes with its challenges. You mentioned that different types of people see you differently, and I think the goal is to have everyone at least understand the way you think and feel. They don't have to be that way also or even be your friend, but I think everyone deserves basic human respect.

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #16
I really don't believe I'm an extrovert in the actual term most people use it in, which is a very outgoing individual.

I'm actually shy and introverted, or lean in that direction. I enjoy spending most of my days either at my house or traveling. But it's not traveling to social events or even seeking out social company. I just need my very few close friends and I'm set. I could be described as an ambivert that leans introverted. Still when I examine the MBTI ENFP fits me the best in its description and I've also taken maybe 100 tests from different sites and institutions and I'm always ENFP. Being repetitive doesn't mean it's fact but it certainly forums a coherent hypothesis that I'm an ENFP.

ENFP does not = Extrovert (outgoing). It equals the Functions Ne Fi Te Si, which means Ne (extroverted intuition) is the primary function you prefer and is front and center in almost everything you do. Ne does not equal Socially Extroverted or even close to the term.

I'm also not very sensitive when I compare myself to others around me. I'm rather easy going and have been described as laid back (most of the times). Though certain events can set me off just like any other human in history. I have my own moral hit cards, that could be completely different than another ENFPs set. When I think of sensitive I think of some close people to me that are INFPs or INFJs. Like their melting point is really low compared to my melting point. I'm not necessarily Tungsten or Carbon like an INTJ but I'm also not Hydrogen. I could be in the Titanium or Platinium range which is really above average for your mean. Like if we were to examine my variance I could go up to a Boron on the best of days and on my worst drop to Cobalt. Though this could be because I'm high functioning and just awfully weird, that I examine the world like it's something to be investigated and gauged with my brain that I'm more concentrated on all the what-ifs it can provide me. Who has time to be sensitive?
I actually agree with you and I talk about what introversion and extraversion REALLY mean in the context of MBTI in this video:

I am the same way. I would consider myself shy around new people and actually quite introverted. I do enjoy social experiences though if I connect with those who are there. If it's full of small talk and boring conversations then I don't feel engaged. Ne often involves having these real-world experiences where we see new places, meet new people, try new projects, etc. which can leave a highly sensitive person feeling drained, so they must balance this with proper self-care.

And yes, I don't think ALL ENFPs are highly sensitive, but I do think most extroverted HSPs are ENFPs. And you used the phrase "who has time to be sensitive?", I would reply with "who has time NOT to be sensitive?". HSPs bring empathy, conscientiousness, attention to detail, complex thinking, etc. to the table and there is definitely time for those aspects of the trait

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #17
@NIHM It's not like you choose to be HSP. HSP is probably not exactly like you're thinking in experience. For me it's more like... I see a girl (an anorexic with bulimia who so didn't want her disease and was working so hard) who I've been working with who is going through a lot and fighting it hard and when she tells me how she is I'm so proud of her that I've got tears going down my cheeks while she is talking to me and can't help it. Actually happy moments are what trigger me the most as an ENFP. The next time I saw this girl I was so proud of her for working through her struggle (I got word from the facility that she had it rough but was working hard) that my tears started even before I said hello. I then have to pretty much beg her to forgive my tears, but it's not like I can just act like I didn't see her. Actually my tears are starting now. It is impossible for me to not have so much compassion for this girl. I really understand the depths of where she was coming from.

I was at a concert about a year and a half ago at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and every time the harpist started playing (Tchikovsky and Debussy) I burst into tears. I'm good at having this be silent-- have had to fight sobs in public places most of my life- but I can't control the tears part. I was front and center. Tears just rolling down. However, like I said... some people think this is absolutely beautiful. The conductor, Multi, who is arguably the best conductor in the world right now... I know he felt this was beautiful because with every bow after every song he looked at me with compassion and love and smiles and I knew he was conducting understanding my reaction to something so uncontrollably beautiful. He blew me a kiss at the end. I totally appreciated the harpist as one of the very best in the world as well who they had brought in especially for these pieces. It was too too beautiful. I had no control about these tears.

I came home and talked to my therapist about it. I'd never talked about it before, but this has always been something I can't help.

Where is that HSP test? There was a post about this by Vivid Melody a few years ago that went on for a while in the NF forum.
Here is a link to the test: Self-Tests 鈥 The Highly Sensitive Person :)

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #18
I'm moderately sensitive now but I used to test highly about a decade ago. I wasn't a HS child either, it was developed more towards my late teens. Loud noises, lots of stimuli, a high-pace would overwhelm me and I felt a lot more/deeper than now. I think life situations and how I decided to handle them helped me overcome this and tune it down a bit and I'm very glad I managed that as I'm far more resilient now and able to take care of myself better. I think my NE was kinda hampered during that time, or at least more focused on what moves me emotionally which also made me avoid some things that hurt, but nowadays such things can even inspire me.
Well, high sensitivity is a temperamental trait that you carry from birth so it's not possible to have it and then not have it. But it sounds like you have found ways to cope with your strong emotions in a healthy way so that is great

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #19
No, It's probably not. Rereading (I didn't watch the video) the original post he just talks about highly sensitive individuals. I did not confuse this with the disorder of HSP. I took it as "Are you a highly sensitive person?" I expressed, No, I'm not in an honest answer to the OP. So I have no clue why you're blowing up at me. I didn't choose to be HSP because I don't have it. MY post also does NOT push that I don't understand the disorder, make light of it, or not say that someone with HSP has a choice in it. Again, I did not feel or think the OP was expressing the disorder. I'm sorry if you suffer from HSP. I never knew that about you nor am I saying that it was not a choice for you. I point blank was expressing, as an ENFP, answer the OPs question if ENFPs are overly sensitive. I do not think I am. I also get a little tired of every newbie that walks in here expressing that ENFPs are somehow extroverted outgoing individuals. So in my post, I expressed again the definition of the MBTI and the explanation of Ne. Again I did not watch the video.

Outside of the disorder of HSP, which I don't directly think of when people ask if I'm highly sensitive. I don't think of Bi-polar disorder if someone asks me if I change my opinion easily. I don't think someone is referring to ASPD if an individual can't cry easily or impulsive. So with someone asking if I'm highly sensitive as an ENFP, I think of two things I've personally experienced in the past. 1. I've experienced individuals label themselves sensitive and then because they're sensitive think that everyone in their MBTI (other ENFPS) must also exhibit this behavior. The OP is the perfect example of this. 2. I've also seen outsiders who have had one sensitive ENFP in their life consider that ALL ENFPs are highly sensitive because we have Fi. Again both points I've argued on multiple occasions, as I've done in this very thread, that they are false and typist behavior. If I can recall only 15% of children experience HSP. I didn't exhibit (fussy or sensitivities) when I was a child.

I did not think he was expressing HSP in his post.

However, talking about sensitivities and you know this about me because we've crossed this before and I've expressed it in every other post you've done this to me. I absolutely react badly when people put words in my mouth and change the meaning of what I meant. Reading more into my words or twisting them into your own agenda seriously irks me. I never once brought up HSP in my post. Again, I stated I am not a highly sensitive individual. Of course, I'm sure that there are issues that can set me off because I am a human being. I'm trying to be crystal clear to you so that you do not twist my words into your own agenda again. I, however, in the past have said that I have been diagnosed with being high function and can be very compulsive about the meaning of my words and thoughts. I did not quote you. I have no clue why you quoted me with issues about the disorder of HSP. I was only answering the OP questions about ENFP (labeling us extroverts) (which I corrected him) and how we highly sensitive (all ENFPs) handle it. I corrected his statement. If you think that all ENFPs are highly sensitive, I was expressing that at least in my case, that it is false to assume. Because as I quote his very first line in a shorter sentence " for ALLLLLLL you ENFPs, what are the challenges to be highly sensitive." I overly pointed out the word ALL so you can take notice of his question.

My caveat in this. When I state "react badly." Someone sees = explosion. When it's really just an "empf" sound that comes out and being more annoyed. I don't slam my hands on the desk, throw papers, cry, and cuss at my computer screen over something so small. However, I could give an eye roll and a long overwritten letter as to not be miss understood again. Hense while I state I don't really have a strong reaction compared to others.
Yeah, I would really advise you to watch the video. In the video, I state that I believe that many extroverted HSPs are ENFPs. I do not however state that I believe many or all ENFPs are HSPs. Another thing you will see if you watch the video is that I don't claim that ENFPs fit the "traditional extraversion" stereotype of being outgoing, etc. I just discuss their orientation towards extraversion because of Ne dom that causes them to seek out new experiences, social events, etc. I also think it's important to mention that HSP is not a disorder. It is literally a neutral trait. This is why I think it's important for people to understand what being an HSP actually is, so they aren't viewed as "oversensitive people who have an issue".

Registered
ENFP
Discussion Starter #20
I鈥檓 not sure I agree with loving parties... I have a very conflicted relationship with parties.

Articles like these tend to make generalizations. I don't think you have to love parties. I mention in the video as well that the "high sensation seeker" test that makes you a more extroverted HSP uses criteria like wanting to do drugs and have those kinds of new experiences, which I don't, so it is a bit inaccurate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts