Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally people want to lose weight but there are also people like me who can eat the whole day and don't get any weight with or without meat. I already searched the internet and often this question is combined with gaining muscles. This actually cooperates with another goal of me which is to become fit again and particularly stronger. I don't necessarily want to be fast but strong and resiliant. A lot of my fitness practices are about staying for one minute or longer in a pose that strains the muscles as I heard in a video about Shao Lin Kung Fu that it also gives you more patience and steadfastness in your daily life but this is a different topic ^^
I try to eat a lot of proteins and also fat. I even eat a lot of sweets I think.
The last two days I did some workout for half to one hour but not today.
I am 188 cm/ 6.168 ft tall and weigh about 66 kg / 145.51 lb. Some weeks before it was 69 kg/ 152.12 lb although I even tried to gain weight during that time. The problem is I can't eat the whole day every day. I want to change something primarily through the quality not the quantity.

I hope here are some nice people who can share some special advice on gaining weight as a vegan. :)

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
i dated a vegan guy once who was really big for a vegan (he was tall too and used to run) he ate a lot of vegan mock chicken salad wraps and potato chips -crumbled tempeh, vegannaise, celery, onion and poultry seasoning wrapped in a tortilla- very high calorie, and he drank a lot of hemp protein shakes. i tried going vegan once. what would put the weight on me was eating lots of nuts, especially peanuts and cashews, but walnuts and almonds too.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
"The problem is I can't eat the whole day every day" > well that's your problem. you think you can't do it, but just do it anyway.

Do it with vegan cheesecake.

just do it.

some people dream of success. Don't let your dreams be dreams. You should get to the point where anyone else would quit, but you're not gonna stop there. So just... do it! make your dreams come true. do it! nothing is impossible

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both :)
@cuddle bun haha :D I try. I wouldn't even have a problem with it but my purse does and I also have other big dreams I can't fulfill if I eat the whole day xD

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn! I lost at least 3kg/ 6.6 lbs until I opened this thread although I am sure I ate more than before. I ate especially nuts, seeds, and what is made out of them and also protein shakes and also some chocolate.

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,240 Posts
holy crap you are skinny ;D .......................................................

a combination of soya/rice protein and nuts..

Eat fries.. a lot of it.

are you sure you don't have a problem with nutrient absorption ?

·
Charge'n Thru The Night
14,240 Posts
@General Lee Awesome

I don't know. How should I? Maybe I should consult a doctor.
I didn't have that problem in highschool. I ate some more oven-ready meal and fast food back then.
my friend was very skinny and couldn't put on weight.. later we found out he has this problem with absorbing things.. maybe you should talk to a doctor?

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
@Yami no Yume
You should track what you eat using a site like myfitnesspal.com or cronometer. Make sure to eat above your maintenance calories so you have a surplus in order to gain weight.

You mention eating more nuts/seeds etc and losing weight, that's likely because you are eating according to your appetite instead of having a program, but protein & fat is very satiating so you could be taking less calories because you end up eating less but more filling foods. You should stop eating according to your appetite and track what you eat to make sure you get more. Smoothies is an easy way to increase your intake as they are liquid and less satiating so you can have more of them.

If you keep losing weight despite tracking your calories then I suggest going to the doctor to have your thyroid checked (to start with).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Normally people want to lose weight but there are also people like me who can eat the whole day and don't get any weight with or without meat. I already searched the internet and often this question is combined with gaining muscles. This actually cooperates with another goal of me which is to become fit again and particularly stronger. I don't necessarily want to be fast but strong and resiliant. A lot of my fitness practices are about staying for one minute or longer in a pose that strains the muscles as I heard in a video about Shao Lin Kung Fu that it also gives you more patience and steadfastness in your daily life but this is a different topic ^^
I try to eat a lot of proteins and also fat. I even eat a lot of sweets I think.
The last two days I did some workout for half to one hour but not today.
I am 188 cm/ 6.168 ft tall and weigh about 66 kg / 145.51 lb. Some weeks before it was 69 kg/ 152.12 lb although I even tried to gain weight during that time. The problem is I can't eat the whole day every day. I want to change something primarily through the quality not the quantity.

I hope here are some nice people who can share some special advice on gaining weight as a vegan. :)
I was a vegan for an entire year and ended up becoming almost underweight. I tried everything from protein bars to vegan burgers, vegan cheese, etc. I ate a lot but it still wasn't enough calories. I ended up becoming sick and very fatigued. If you wanna gain weight, it is very hard to do as a vegan. Especially if you are working out, it is dangerous to do with not enough protein. I would recommend adding some fish into your diet.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@General Lee Awesome
Probably I will talk to a doctor ...
@Red Panda
Thanks, but using such a site seems to be extensive for me. Don't you have to weigh everything you eat with that? It would take so much time. Maybe I would even be less motivated to eat something.

I actually eat normally more than I have appetite for. I would eat sometimes some peanut butter only for the reason to gain weight or because of the workout. I consider smoothies though.
@gracie1030
Thank you for sharing your experience!
I think the problem is actually not the protein. I probably consume more of that than many other sportsman who have a far harder workout. Mine is pretty simple and even on days I don't do it I consume many nuts and seeds with a lot of protein.
Their are also some vegans without underweight problems and even great athletes. Some people like me just have it harder in that affair because of their genetic predisposition but I try my best to find out what the problem is. Maybe I should change my diet at the end, maybe not.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
Thanks, but using such a site seems to be extensive for me. Don't you have to weigh everything you eat with that? It would take so much time. Maybe I would even be less motivated to eat something.

I actually eat normally more than I have appetite for. I would eat sometimes some peanut butter only for the reason to gain weight or because of the workout. I consider smoothies though.
Yes you have to weigh everything, especially in the beginning. But you don't have to do it for ever until you reach your goal, you could use it to 1) see what exactly you have been consuming now 2) do it for a while (i.e. 1-2 weeks - 1 month) until you basically learn to estimate what changes and how much you have to do to reach your goals.

I especially suggest doing at least the 1st in order to see exactly just how much you are eating now, to see how much you are overestimating your intake. People who can't gain weight always overestimate what they eat (unless it's medical ofc) and people who want to lose always underestimate.

To be honest, being a vegan I think you should do this for micronutrients regardless of your weight gain goals (cronometer reports micros too) because it's very easy to miss out on essential stuff like zinc and iron and even certain amino acids. Meat eaters who don't eat enough fruits and veggies would miss out on stuff too, and seeing it on screen helps understand what one needs to change in their diet to make it better. It's all around helpful.

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,797 Posts
Eat a lot of pasta

Reactions: Yami no Yume

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you have to weigh everything, especially in the beginning. But you don't have to do it for ever until you reach your goal, you could use it to 1) see what exactly you have been consuming now 2) do it for a while (i.e. 1-2 weeks - 1 month) until you basically learn to estimate what changes and how much you have to do to reach your goals.

I especially suggest doing at least the 1st in order to see exactly just how much you are eating now, to see how much you are overestimating your intake. People who can't gain weight always overestimate what they eat (unless it's medical ofc) and people who want to lose always underestimate.

To be honest, being a vegan I think you should do this for micronutrients regardless of your weight gain goals (cronometer reports micros too) because it's very easy to miss out on essential stuff like zinc and iron and even certain amino acids. Meat eaters who don't eat enough fruits and veggies would miss out on stuff too, and seeing it on screen helps understand what one needs to change in their diet to make it better. It's all around helpful.
This seems so difficult. Actually I would eat during so many different situations irregularly. For example, I would often just take something out of my bag while I am in the train and I am commuting during the week or I would just buy something I like when I see it in a store.
But I try it. Or I try to try it :p Haha^^
#PrayforYaminoYume

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,797 Posts
I agree with the others though you should definitely talk to a doctor about this before you make any huge dietary changes. Nutrition is a very complicated science and you don't want to make yourself sick.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
This seems so difficult. Actually I would eat during so many different situations irregularly. For example, I would often just take something out of my bag while I am in the train and I am commuting during the week or I would just buy something I like when I see it in a store.
But I try it. Or I try to try it :p Haha^^
[URL=http://personalitycafe.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=PrayforYaminoYume]#PrayforYaminoYume [/URL]
I think it's less difficult than you believe, you just have to start doing it and it will become super easy. All you gotta do is weigh the stuff then log them in, the rest is calculated by the sites, they even give you calorie goals depending on your weight goals. If the bulk of your food is whole stuff and not ready meals it will be super easy to weigh them and log them. For the rest you gotta read the labels and find the foods in the database or just add the calories and carbs/fat/protein on your own but I think you'll get the hang of it.

It's good to be mindful of what you eat and it will likely make it easier to reach your goals once you become more aware. #PrayforYaminoYume :laughing:

PS. the complexity of that is nothing compared to possibly needing to adjust your macronutrient ratios to achieve weight gain (i.e. to gain more lean mass) but let's start by the easy stuff xD

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it's less difficult than you believe, you just have to start doing it and it will become super easy. All you gotta do is weigh the stuff then log them in, the rest is calculated by the sites, they even give you calorie goals depending on your weight goals. If the bulk of your food is whole stuff and not ready meals it will be super easy to weigh them and log them. For the rest you gotta read the labels and find the foods in the database or just add the calories and carbs/fat/protein on your own but I think you'll get the hang of it.

It's good to be mindful of what you eat and it will likely make it easier to reach your goals once you become more aware. #PrayforYaminoYume :laughing:

PS. the complexity of that is nothing compared to possibly needing to adjust your macronutrient ratios to achieve weight gain (i.e. to gain more lean mass) but let's start by the easy stuff xD
Hmm my parents cook dinner for me. I actually would not like to make things more difficult for them since they already cook vegan for me and I don't like to worry them about this :/

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
Hmm my parents cook dinner for me. I actually would not like to make things more difficult for them since they already cook vegan for me and I don't like to worry them about this :/
That's fine, you just have to weigh it before you eat it and log it into the site. You can adjust your intake for the rest of the day depending on what you need, and won't burden them with anything extra.

·
Registered
595 Posts
ayy I'm on the same boat I was skinny my whole life, I consider myself a sage at this point though after years of experimenting trial and errors, I'm not really willing to post publicly my views because they are controversial in the eyes of normal people, I'm not willing to to put up with silly arguments.

tldr: eat everything, anything, always, being vegan focus on fats like rapeseed oil, I avoid sugars cause they make me feel bad, avoid empty paper foods like potatoes they have petty 70 calories per 100g, compared to rapeseed oil which has 900 calories you got the point.

you said you're not eager to count calories - then don't, I see no point in counting and measuring anything when your goal is to max out, you should count only when cutting but that's my opinion.

go to the gym, short and intense workouts, on leg days I usually end up running to the toilet to puke my ass off, although with this strategy do only safe exercises you don't want to end up injured.

easy, straight forward, practical, if you want more in depth catch me on private, I've been doing vegan (except weekends) for a year, not for moral reasons, it's more practical.

err what else, don't waste time on doctors if you're healthy, you're young, later in life you should naturally gain more weight.
have fun.

Reactions: Yami no Yume
1 - 20 of 31 Posts