Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to get more thanks received on the site if you are generous with your 'thanks given' (by thanking posts you find humorous, agree with, or thank for posting on your threads- all things I do).

I've noticed that some people receive 3x as many thanks as those they give out, but the statistics are the opposite for me.

Are these people just really well liked, stingy, posting on certain threads etc? What do you think?

It's not important or anything, I'm just interested.

(sorry, probably not the right board to post on, but I wasn't sure where else to categorise it).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here, have a thank...thankthankthank... it's one of those words that loses the meaning if you say it enough times :p
Hmmm, I thought I thanked things all the time, but maybe I am stingy. I do feel awkward thanking posts older than a month or so. Speaking of old posts, lots of thanks come from being on the front page of a thread that ends up getting stickied: "You know you're a _____ when" and such.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Being on the first page definitely helps, even if the thread is not stickied. Whenever I reach a thread with over five pages, I'll generally only have the patience to read the first and last pages. And since the last page always ends up changing... you get the point. I feel like I miss opportunities to be thanked by not posting on the first page... :unsure:

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Being on the first page definitely helps, even if the thread is not stickied. Whenever I reach a thread with over five pages, I'll generally only have the patience to read the first and last pages. And since the last page always ends up changing... you get the point. I feel like I miss opportunities to be thanked by not posting on the first page... :unsure:
That's a really good point. First-pagers probably do get thanked the most.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you find the total number of thanks given on PerC and take away the total number of thanks received, you get zero. Hence, there will always be some people who have given more thanks than they receive and some people who have received more thanks than they have given. It's a zero-sum game.

Perhaps if you've given more thanks than you've received, you could say you have more gratitude :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you find the total number of thanks given on PerC and take away the total number of thanks received, you get zero. Hence, there will always be some people who have given more thanks than they receive and some people who have received more thanks than they have given. It's a zero-sum game.
that's not what I meant... I was asking, how do some people get so much more thanks they give, without being stingy, while the majority of people only get a quarter of the thanks back that they give out?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
There's hardly any stuff around that's worth the additional second and click that is required to thank them.

A mouse button only lives so long. Plus, Diablo 3 is on the horizon - so the choice is fairly easy.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always feel a bit sad when I get a thanks as opposed to "new post quote". It's like someone liked what I said, but didn't have anything to add. I prefer the return volley, as opposed to the spike conversationally.
I prefer it too, but I still like knowing people have valued my post.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Post quotes and mentions are equal to me
Well, it depends on the content of the reply; a mention can be anything from a direct response to something I said, or someone just mentioning my name or agreeing with a post I read. The quote is almost always a direct response, which gets my ENTP debate-juices flowing. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just try to be as real as possible in all of your posts. They don't even have to be long, just as long as there is quality in what you say.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Not to spoil the interesting convo, but this is mostly a natural tendency due to the way thanks work - mainly because of the fact that you can only thank a post once but many people can thank your post.

If everyone were to post and thank every post each other made, we'd all have more received than given.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.