Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys something is driving me up the walls: My current Ti obsession is relationships and their dynamics. I am so fascinated by the subject that if I don't force myself to think of something else it would occupy my mind the majority of time of the day.

And it really starts to annoy me because it prevents me from thinking about other stuff (work related for example).

I could lay down in bed after waking up in the morning and think and think and think.

How do I (genuinely) get rid of this obsession? (not just act like something else interests me when in fact I long for doing more research on some dynamic?)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If I were you, I'd exhaust out the topic and get bored of it, eventually. I'd like to know what you know, though. It seems interesting to say the least.

And, most of us would agree that typology is one of the biggest obsessions. It's something I can't seem to get over. Not a single day has passed since I discovered it that I haven't thought of MBTI or trying to type people just for the lulz.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I were you, I'd exhaust out the topic and get bored of it, eventually. I'd like to know what you know, though. It seems interesting to say the least.

And, most of us would agree that typology is one of the biggest obsessions. It's something I can't seem to get over. Not a single day has passed since I discovered it that I haven't thought of MBTI or trying to type people just for the lulz.
Thanks hehe :p. Yes it is so damn interesting! :D I started with that obsession about a year ago (learn something new every single day) and I have progressed to the point that all my friends seek relationship advice from me. I just love reading through an endless amount of articles, posts, stories, and so on.

The thing is that unlike all those other topics I can't seem to get bored of it xD When I think I am another idea pops up in my mind and the whole thing goes a level deeper.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Swap it for another?

:p

I like my obsessions.

You won't have much luck getting rid of them ,IMO.

Introverted thinking in the MBTI sense means literally introverted thinking, we take idea into our minds and process them inside of ourselves until we've beat them into the depths of our being.

Mine change but I like knowing everything there is to know about a few specific subjects.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
(Un)luckily, my Ne is higher than my Ti, so I get bored of something which can't provide the stimulation I need, or just jump to something else when it starts to seem more interesting than my current obsession.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I've not normally been one for Ti obsessions, I'm more the sort to bite off more interests than I can chew and not pursue them as fully as I might have liked to (or at least I have so many they seem less like obsessions), but I have to admit I have a borderline insane obsession with typology. :wink: Sometimes I wish I was rid of it but I actually think it enriches my interactions. It's just been assimilated into my life so deeply it's almost like noticing the colour of something, I see type in things so quickly I don't even need to put conscious thought into it. That might not be the answer you're looking for, but with typology I've found it's worked...it just sort of fades into white noise.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
tentacle hentai.

Reactions: Playful Proxy

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've not normally been one for Ti obsessions, I'm more the sort to bite off more interests than I can chew and not pursue them as fully as I might have liked to (or at least I have so many they seem less like obsessions), but I have to admit I have a borderline insane obsession with typology. :wink: Sometimes I wish I was rid of it but I actually think it enriches my interactions. It's just been assimilated into my life so deeply it's almost like noticing the colour of something, I see type in things so quickly I don't even need to put conscious thought into it. That might not be the answer you're looking for, but with typology I've found it's worked...it just sort of fades into white noise.
People look at me like I am crazy when I bring up typology. What is it that repels people from being "typed"???

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Thanks hehe :p. Yes it is so damn interesting! :D I started with that obsession about a year ago (learn something new every single day) and I have progressed to the point that all my friends seek relationship advice from me. I just love reading through an endless amount of articles, posts, stories, and so on.

The thing is that unlike all those other topics I can't seem to get bored of it xD When I think I am another idea pops up in my mind and the whole thing goes a level deeper.
Who knows, maybe you will become a marriage counselor.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
People look at me like I am crazy when I bring up typology. What is it that repels people from being "typed"???
Yeah, it's true. It depends on how they interpret it I suppose. I react strongly against being "put in boxes" myself, which may be a concern of a lot of people when they first hear of typology. It may be an aversion to being "simplified", especially if they think all typology is is crude type descriptions. They may be concerned about an overly mathematical approach to understanding people. They may fear it ends any discussion on who they are as a person, if typology can give them a one size fits all answer. "There aren't only 16 types of people!" But then again, Jung never claimed there were! I think they tend to feel type limits them or cheapens them as a person.

I understand this, but of course it's a perversion of what typology really is. It's all about tendencies that arise from the hierarchy of cognitive functions in peoples' psyches. Nothing more, nothing less. Sadly, a lot of people have that simplified, career testy conception of typology in mind when we bring it up. The real phenomenon is so much richer...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Take a Celexa. Then you'll be vaguely aware something used to constantly eat at you but you won't really care.
Then stop taking it, and you'll want to write a 16,000 page manifesto in an hour. And then it'll be out of your system.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Guys something is driving me up the walls: My current Ti obsession is relationships and their dynamics. I am so fascinated by the subject that if I don't force myself to think of something else it would occupy my mind the majority of time of the day.

And it really starts to annoy me because it prevents me from thinking about other stuff (work related for example).

I could lay down in bed after waking up in the morning and think and think and think.

How do I (genuinely) get rid of this obsession? (not just act like something else interests me when in fact I long for doing more research on some dynamic?)
Don't, let it roam freely in your mind until you're satisfy. Getting rid of it will lead to frustration(I've been there, it ain't pretty). But use time management, arrange special hours for you to think about your interest while you still could do day-to-day necessities. Good luck :)

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Do something with your body. Go for a walk, lift weights, meditate, do yoga, do anything with your body that doesn't stimulate the mind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts