Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ideally, no part worth doing would be boring. But in reality, I find my passion towards the things I care about to wane very quickly. This is most prevalent in my writing life, and I do try to push through the lulls where it's become routine (get up at around this time every day, write this many words). Right now I'm feeling incredibly bored with it, and I remembered this is considered a common ENFP problem. I don't make any money from this, luckily my parents don't encourage me to get a job, but I remember the structure of one of the strictest schools I went to growing up and I thrived there. On my own, I feel like I'm using only half my brain power. I've let myself get lazy. Sometimes the boredom comes from overwhelm, knowing what I have to do next and seeing how much there's left to do and feeling like I'm staring down a never ending hallway or something, and I know the walk down it is supposed to be fun but OH MY GOD it's just so much today.

I see so many ENFPs as entrepreneurs but I genuinely don't understand how you guys do it. Sometimes I feel like I'm falling through the cracks and need an ExFJ to get me back on track. This is something I want to do for the rest of my life and I can't find my rhythm with it.

So my question is- how do you all get through the boring parts of the things you like? And the boring parts of your job? And if you're self-employed, do you have any suggestions on how to get over periods like this? As it is I just push through and keep going, but some days (like today) I just let myself fall off track. I'm going to try and write once I post this, but please anyone with any advice or personal experience I'd be so grateful if you'd reply!

And this isn't just directed at self-employed people, I can see the same thing happening with a 'real' job or working for someone else. I just wanted to include that because seriously ENFP and entrepreneurship just isn't mixing well for me. How do you deal with getting bored with anything? Friends, significant others, partners in work, school, literally anything. How do you keep moving forward and not drop it like a hot potato?

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Hmm... on the writing, having a writer’s group has helped me tons. It gives me people to think of pleasing. At work, The only way I get through is by booking people’s appointments with me back to back and some Deadlines help where I have to present—but mainly the fact that there will be a face needing counseling in front of me, needing me, keeps me going. Actually me letting myself look at PerC during work is a self-efficacy problem for me. I can’t believe I let myself do it...

I’m looking forward to what many ENFPs say!

Reactions: NIHM and saph

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
In writing, I find different things to enjoy about every stage of it. The initial creation. The revision. The rewriting. The editing. It's all me working toward taking a collective overgrown mess and pruning it into shape. I like making things better / polishing them, so that keeps me going even when I'm tired of it.

In business, as my father says -- a lot of life is doing what you don't want to do. You suck it in, do it, and then find fun things to do as a reward or on the weekend to compensate.

IMO, if you have the boredom bug, find a job that enables you to travel. Consider becoming a stewardess on a plane or something -- that would keep you going new places, seeing new people, etc. It's extremely hard to run a business successfully and if your life pattern is boredom with it as soon as the hard stuff comes along, you may be happier in the long term with a more flexible job that doesn't rely on you wearing 16 different hats.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Regarding business administration: There's various forms of rather cheap&easy services you can subscribe to.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Getting things that are really worth it in life require some level of sacrifice.

In most fields of work you need experience to become self-employed, or to work on a consultancy/contract basis, or any kind of flexible basis where you are still earning a decent income.

The good thing for us EPs is that the popular opinion among academics studying the labour market, is that the paradigm will continue to shift toward a shifting career, which will require increasing abilities to adapt to contract work, variety and flexibility. It's a process that is ongoing, which I am sure most people have noticed, but it is only just beginning and will continue for the forseeable future...

But yes, even so, for the immediate future- you have to sacrifice to get something you want. Pick a direction that has key skills that are widely employable, and which you feel you are talented in, and some key skills that may be out of your comfort zone but you feel will be useful in a lot of situations. Go.. Do SOMETHING, then come back and ask where you should go once you've actually got a bit of leverage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the replies! I think a part of the problem is my energy- I have a disorder that really drains me so that takes a lot of my motivation away. It sucks because I can't even have coffee so keeping going is always a tough one. I see how ENFPs would be geared to the projected shifting career markets, and I relate to the ENFP thing of seeing the possibility of going into any and every field. I did so much research on soooo many fields- like when I meet people and they introduce themselves and what they do for work I have so much to talk to them about because I learned the very basics and they're always surprised. But like I said- writing is the one thing I see myself doing, forever. I'm taking it easy the past few days because although I want to work work work it's not happening.

Do others here experience this ebb and flow in their creativity too? It's a constant battle that I'm trying to surrender to. I had a goal of writing 7 books this year and at this pace I don't even see myself writing 4. It's a bummer, andddd when I look back at work I wrote 2 years ago, the quality isn't much different. It's REALLY bumming me out. Does anyone know of any online writer's groups? I tried a local one- and I live in the woods so there aren't many- and people were so petty, they were talking about someone's writing and how bad it was because the person wasn't at the meeting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Woah there. Take a step back for a moment. I know the feeling you are experiencing right now. In a normal and relaxed state, Ne does a great job at exploring the ideas in a healthy and productive way. In a bad state, Ne can reverse on itself and explore everything negatively. In this state, you have to remind yourself it's just a passing phase. Everything will look better tomorrow. Your writing is great. Just your few posts, you have the ability to say what you mean in a way that is easily digestible. 7 books in one year (holy moly)? I admire your ambition, but don't beat yourself over not accomplishing such a task. Allow yourself some patience and the space to mess up. I'm curious to how you feel and see everything in a few days. It's a negative phase and one I'm all to familiar with myself. Don't forget all of your great talents in the wave of negative thinking. You're going to be and are great.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'd guess we ENFP might have sometimes quite high self-criticism towards ourselves. I think this might come from Te which isn't necessarily well developed at younger ages - when I was in my 20s and beginning of 30s it manifested like I had too high expectations for myself and failure at achieving anything was not an option.

This thought pattern made me to push harder towards goals and was often frustrating. I feel some similar pattern could be read out from your original post if I'm correct. I can say this all seems to be "temporary" as when you get older, Te will be like it should be properly used and those issues seemed to be ended for myself.

Maybe try to be easier to yourself (I know, easier to say than to do :) ) and not push too hard on yourself. How to deal with boredom? Maybe try to travel to different places if that's an option for you. Find a new hobby, try meditating or even some psychedelic altered states of mind - everything could help which gives you inspiration and new perspectives - that's the power we rely on :)

Reactions: saph

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for this perspective @tarmonk! I have been trying to use Te more lately and I guess I'm using it in unhealthy ways. I started reading a book on evolutionary psychology and how our ancestor's strategies to enter and keep romantic relationships going have influenced our behavior today- that's really opening my eyes to a new way of looking at dating and even just general human interaction. I love your mention of meditation and am really trying to do concentrative meditation lately, and when I'm able to let myself do it it's unbelievably peaceful. Thank you for the reminder :)

And @Ghostcolors I know 7 books sounds like a lot haha, I just feel like I have a lot of time to make up for being idle for so long. I'm trying to break through that fear of writing and my stories not being good enough but I've somehow ended up choking from it again. Ugh. I will update when I'm feeling more positive to give a real 'round' read to the thread! I'm feeling a bit more positive today because I've figured out I'm going to rewrite my current first draft today but definitely still have a ways to go with feeling okay again. Is there anything you do when you're feeling low that helps you? I could use some suggestions :) I took a walk today but it ended up being more stressful than relaxing because my dog ran off and I had to scream after him. Haha what a mess. Going to outline and then write now. And thank you for your reply- yesterday was really shit but your post made me smile. And I even got some work done after because of your reminder that I'm great. It's weird- I see potential and greatness in everyone else but me, so I really need to start pointing that energy at myself too. I hope you're having a great day! :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thank you for this perspective @tarmonk! I have been trying to use Te more lately and I guess I'm using it in unhealthy ways. I started reading a book on evolutionary psychology and how our ancestor's strategies to enter and keep romantic relationships going have influenced our behavior today- that's really opening my eyes to a new way of looking at dating and even just general human interaction. I love your mention of meditation and am really trying to do concentrative meditation lately, and when I'm able to let myself do it it's unbelievably peaceful. Thank you for the reminder :)
Also, what I've noticed that when under the stress or hard times at work, I tend to get more inspiration to express myself musically. It even works better than when I'm relaxed. If you can play any instrument it might be good idea to turn that into creativity. Or if the music is out of question, why not try painting or anything else creative :) Or you can learn to play any instrument :) It's like having a quality time with yourself and your creative mindset.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,173 Posts
Ideally, no part worth doing would be boring. But in reality, I find my passion towards the things I care about to wane very quickly. This is most prevalent in my writing life, and I do try to push through the lulls where it's become routine (get up at around this time every day, write this many words). Right now I'm feeling incredibly bored with it, and I remembered this is considered a common ENFP problem. I don't make any money from this, luckily my parents don't encourage me to get a job, but I remember the structure of one of the strictest schools I went to growing up and I thrived there. On my own, I feel like I'm using only half my brain power. I've let myself get lazy. Sometimes the boredom comes from overwhelm, knowing what I have to do next and seeing how much there's left to do and feeling like I'm staring down a never ending hallway or something, and I know the walk down it is supposed to be fun but OH MY GOD it's just so much today.

I see so many ENFPs as entrepreneurs but I genuinely don't understand how you guys do it. Sometimes I feel like I'm falling through the cracks and need an ExFJ to get me back on track. This is something I want to do for the rest of my life and I can't find my rhythm with it.

So my question is- how do you all get through the boring parts of the things you like? And the boring parts of your job? And if you're self-employed, do you have any suggestions on how to get over periods like this? As it is I just push through and keep going, but some days (like today) I just let myself fall off track. I'm going to try and write once I post this, but please anyone with any advice or personal experience I'd be so grateful if you'd reply!

And this isn't just directed at self-employed people, I can see the same thing happening with a 'real' job or working for someone else. I just wanted to include that because seriously ENFP and entrepreneurship just isn't mixing well for me. How do you deal with getting bored with anything? Friends, significant others, partners in work, school, literally anything. How do you keep moving forward and not drop it like a hot potato?
Honestly I get a lot of support being my own boss and bringing in my own money. I can't do it alone. My husband is an INTJ and he has a very calm and sweet reminders to push me to remember a deadline. I have an ENTJ manager who makes sure I'm booked and busy. I now have an ISFJ assistant who is very kind and is like a quiet cheerleader pushing me on and encouraging me to keep going. A support group always helps, specially if we get in a lazy batch. Just remember sometimes our bodies and brains need to be lazy every now and then. Kind of like refueling. I find traveling to distant towns helps spirit me back up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

A wise PerC member once shared this quote with me, "The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken". You can use the power of habit to your advantage with regard to the things that are good for you but don't feel motivated to do. Now establishing a habit can be difficult, because of it's relationship with stress, if you try too hard at it. Something like the Japanese one minute principle of Kaizen will help you with this. You should read up on the principle, but I'll give you an example of how you can make it work for your writing below.

You pick a time of day, let's say 6. Today at 6 you will write for exactly one minute. Tomorrow at 6, you will write for exactly 2 minutes. The following day at 6 you will write for exactly 3 minutes. And so on. The idea is, introducing change into your life 1 minute at a time will keep the stress of change at a minimum and keep you from relapsing into previous habits out of instinctive frustration. It's a minimum risk approach to self improvement. For the rest of your day, you do as have been doing without stressing. And you work on one habit at a time. If you want to change your sleeping habits, you don't work on that while you work on your writing habits. 1 minute at a time can't really be split between two habits.

There is a challenge with the one minute principle. You have to stay disciplined and resist the urge to do more. A good way to expend the excess energy is any group exercise that you enjoy. For me, it's team sports. I go to the gym or local courts and play whatever people are playing. Although sometimes just standing still and clearing my head does the trick.

·
Registered
381 Posts

And @Ghostcolors I know 7 books sounds like a lot haha, I just feel like I have a lot of time to make up for being idle for so long. I'm trying to break through that fear of writing and my stories not being good enough but I've somehow ended up choking from it again. Ugh. I will update when I'm feeling more positive to give a real 'round' read to the thread! I'm feeling a bit more positive today because I've figured out I'm going to rewrite my current first draft today but definitely still have a ways to go with feeling okay again. Is there anything you do when you're feeling low that helps you? I could use some suggestions :) I took a walk today but it ended up being more stressful than relaxing because my dog ran off and I had to scream after him. Haha what a mess. Going to outline and then write now. And thank you for your reply- yesterday was really shit but your post made me smile. And I even got some work done after because of your reminder that I'm great. It's weird- I see potential and greatness in everyone else but me, so I really need to start pointing that energy at myself too. I hope you're having a great day! :)
I had one of those days today this morning. Everything seen through a negative lens. I think just remembering that you're in this state is a good step - To not make any hasty decisions that you may regret is good to remember too. But the thing is. That is you. All of it's you - Just as those negative swirls are part of me too. Trying to suppress and run away from it only makes it worse. But accepting those parts of yourself is hard and is a process. I'm not there myself. Being gentle with yourself is good too. But I agree, I see greatness in everyone, but forget a lot of the time their is greatness in myself as well. I'm very hard on myself. Recognizing that is the first step. And you see it too. Keep going down the road you're on - being aware and you'll make turns and swerves in positive directions where you may have swerved in the wrong direction before. Keep doing you.

·
Registered
30,020 Posts
Also, what I've noticed that when under the stress or hard times at work, I tend to get more inspiration to express myself musically. It even works better than when I'm relaxed. If you can play any instrument it might be good idea to turn that into creativity. Or if the music is out of question, why not try painting or anything else creative :) Or you can learn to play any instrument :) It's like having a quality time with yourself and your creative mindset.
I do this with painting or drawing etc. I tend to make metaphors, assosiations, symbols etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts