Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so i have an interview tomorrow for a job (part time food industry)

i think it would be a smart move to try to guess the interviewer's MBTI type and then i'll know how to please them according to what their type prefers.

what do you think?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Well, that would be an interesting little exercise, but don't try to please them according to what their type supposedly prefers because that just might screw you over.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that would be an interesting little exercise, but don't try to please them according to what their type supposedly prefers because that just might screw you over.
that's what I'm planning to do...... why would it screw me over?

it's the smart thing to do.... how else would i know what the like?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Don't tell them different things based on what personality you think they are. Being dishonest about yourself or your capabilities is generally not advisable.

However, you SHOULD definitely stab at their type. Why? So you can communicate on their wavelength. Use their buzzwords. Speak the language. You don't lie, but they get the impression that you "get it." Works wonders in any situation, interviews included.

Listen to how they speak, watch their posture and mannerisms. Infer motivations behind words. The BIG one: Ask questions and listen to the responses. What does what they say betray about how they think or what they value?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

do you think it would be a smart move to try to guess the interviewer's MBTI type and then i'll know how to please them according to what their type prefers?
That's a interesting question. I would like to do that in interviews. Hard to because your thinking about the questions. Is it working for Mcdonalds or something? Fast food industry would be Extroverted I'm guessing. EXTP? or ESTJ? It's about been efficient.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't tell them different things based on what personality you think they are. Being dishonest about yourself or your capabilities is generally not advisable.

However, you SHOULD definitely stab at their type. Why? So you can communicate on their wavelength. Use their buzzwords. Speak the language. You don't lie, but they get the impression that you "get it." Works wonders in any situation, interviews included.

Listen to how they speak, watch their posture and mannerisms. Infer motivations behind words. The BIG one: Ask questions and listen to the responses. What does what they say betray about how they think or what they value?
what do you mean by buzzwords?and "speak the language"?

"Works wonders in any situation, interviews included."

it does.....? i'd love to learn this! explain more please?

"Listen to how they speak, watch their posture and mannerisms. Infer motivations behind words. The BIG one: Ask questions and listen to the responses. What does what they say betray about how they think or what they value?"

can you explain this quote more deeply?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Wouldn't work, because the only people I know who would even claim to be able to do this, had to learn special facial expression recognition. And it is a fad I have not heard about in years on these personality forums.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't work, because the only people I know who would even claim to be able to do this, had to learn special facial expression recognition. And it is a fad I have not heard about in years on these personality forums.
MBTI isn't a fad. it has worked any times. it isn't pretend science either.

just because you don't believe it dosen't mean it is not true.

i respect your opinion but please don't dismiss the MBTI type as pseudoscience when you don't know anything about it.( you seem to not know)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
MBTI isn't a fad. it has worked any times. it isn't pretend science either.

just because you don't believe it dosen't mean it is not true.

i respect your opinion but please don't dismiss the MBTI type as pseudoscience when you don't know anything about it.
I'm not talking about MBTI.

I am talking about MBTI type identification through facial recognition. These people claimed you could look at the expressions on a person's face and peg their MBTI type.

The standard way is testing or personality analysis in a more detailed fashion by asking questions.

And also, I did not say I did not believe in this "fad" but only that it was a fad because I have not seen them around in recent years. I actually thought their process worked.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not talking about MBTI.

I am talking about MBTI type identification through facial recognition. These people claimed you could look at the expressions on a person's face and peg their MBTI type.

The standard way is testing or personality analysis in a more detailed fashion by asking questions.

And also, I did not say I did not believe in this "fad" but only that it was a fad because I have not seen them around in recent years. I actually thought their process worked.
oh ok sorry about that.

me personally i think it is possible to tell about the the MBTI based on emotions and their expressions....... ( of course you can't tell with facial expressions alone..... that's be INSANELY hard if not impossible......)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If you go to "the other INTP" forum, I wont link it directly because it is probably against the rules, and then do a search for:

16 types, 16 smiles: The way thinking and feeling functions effect the smile.

A post by Adymus, he was the one who promulgated this concept on internet forums. If you are going to try to peg a personality in 5 minutes or less, his methodology is the only way I know how you could try in a consistent way.

PS - Adymus is the one who typed me after tests gave me consistently wrong answers. He typed me just by reading one of my posts.

376 Posts

do you think it would be a smart move to try to guess the interviewer's MBTI type and then i'll know how to please them according to what their type prefers?
Well, if it were me I most certainly would not do so and only answer as truthfully possibly or at the very least, tell the interviewer what I think the he or she would want to hear while still being somewhat honest. Although if you're good at telling people what they want to hear and being able to get away with it, then I guess go for it. Just make sure it doesn't backfire on you though.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
I think if you try to hard to do what you think they'll like based on what type you think they are, you'll either come off as a creep or a kissass. or both. Just be yourself/honest.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Just be yourself, you don't want to end up stuck in a role you're not comfortable in.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The eyes.

Thinkers' eyes are colder and more penetrating.

Feelers' eyes exude warmth and kindness.

The hiring decision is based on so many things, interviewer's own bias is definitely in the pot.

I'd say to be as neutral as possible, not too clinical or too eager. Smile but not too widely. Engaging by leaning torso slightly forward. Arms relaxed. Shoulders not hunched upward too much (sign of nervousness and tension). Hands are visible, not in the pocket. Don't talk with too much hand gestures. When pondering an answer, do a bit of head cocking to one side (this is seen as a friendly gesture in the animal kingdom).

If you can video typing yourself doing a mock interview from entering in the room, greeting, listening and answering questions, and exit manners using a tripod and a remote control, you may see where you need improvement.

Being neutral means you are not appearing as any type's disliked personality thus increase your chance of being recommended for the 2nd interview.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
what do you mean by buzzwords?and "speak the language"?
Good example. I peg my interviewer to be an xSTJ 6 (really, really common type in the corporate world, particularly in middle management). I, instead of highlighting my stellar outside the box thinking skills (which screams risk), I highlight my practical use of common sense (which is not a lie) and my loyalty to people/companies that treat me fairly and incentivize me properly (also not a lie).

I "put my best foot forward" based on what I think their thoughts on my best foot might be. Note, this is a simplistic example, but it's accurate. I've only ever been interviewed once by someone of that type. I was hired. Why? His words: "You were the only candidate that I got the impression would stay with the company for more than 2 years."

I didn't. But that's not the point. He never asked me that question. ;)

"Works wonders in any situation, interviews included."
Literally. Want to slip in and out of social groups? Learn to speak the language. People read in to what you say, and how you say it. Learn to make them read what you want them to read. Get inside their heads. It's manipulation, but not malevolent manipulation.

It has a lot of positive effects. The primary one being: people tend to understand you better when you speak in terms they easily understand and relate to. Communication is easier when you can go meet people where they live, understanding that not everyone can do that/wants to do that. Be the catalyst, and don't wait for people to communicate with you on your terms.

Plus, the part that I get off to: No one knows exactly who you actually are. Everyone has a slightly different impression of you. Which, in power dynamics, is a big advantage that cannot be overstated. You just have to be good at it to avoid appearing "false." You have to remind everyone with your behavior that there are many truths.

"Listen to how they speak, watch their posture and mannerisms. Infer motivations behind words. The BIG one: Ask questions and listen to the responses. What does what they say betray about how they think or what they value?"

can you explain this quote more deeply?
Unfortunately, I can't data dump you a method to reading people. It takes a.... knack. An intuition (unless you read micro-expressions, which I generally don't- I'm not good enough at it).

What words someone chooses to say, and how they say them, is a betrayal of their thought process. Why would he/she say that? Why would they say it that particular way? Ah.... They want to know ______. Which means they're trying to accomplish/they value/they are afraid of _______. My response will signal my similar wish to accomplish/value of/dislike of _______.

Just remember not to be untruthful unless absolutely necessary. I lie a good bit, but rarely in interviews. It's just not necessary. If a company doesn't align with my interests, I'd rather just seek out another than have to play a long acting game just to work there. Too much effort.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.