Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Gurus,

Being an ENTJ, I just realized that I have a problem paying attention to details. :crying:
I believe this is the Si funtion of the brain. I'm sure INTJ's would have the same problem too (and probably even worst than us).

NTJs tend to be sloppy, forgetful and unable to detect errors.... This gets us a lot in trouble...:sad:

Can some one give any suggestion on how we can improve this?:unsure:
And are there any NTJs out there who has managed to improve this?:unsure:

Really Appreciate any advice out there:happy:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi All Gurus,

Being an ENTJ, I just realized that I have a problem paying attention to details. :crying:
I believe this is the Si funtion of the brain. I'm sure INTJ's would have the same problem too (and probably even worst than us).

NTJs tend to be sloppy, forgetful and unable to detect errors.... This gets us a lot in trouble...:sad:

First, I'm most likely not an NTJ whatsoever. However, I'm most likely an NFJ. That being the case I have difficulty with minutiae as well.

Second, I've found it helpful to write about my experiences in my journal. It allows me to practice focusing on the 'details'. For instance, say that I'm cooking a spaghetti sauce for my spaghetti (yum!). I will cook the spaghetti sauce, and then I taste it. Yuck! It's too spicy! Goddammit! So at the end of the day or early morning I might sit down and go back over in my mind what I did to the sauce: I added this particular spice, I cooked then seasoned the meat this long, etc. That way I've become more focused on the details of it all.

Third, I've found it helpful to have like a calender with a reminder program. I have it on my iPhone so that when I'm asked to schedule something I can refer to my calender so that I don't forget the details of my life.

Fourth, I've wanted to learn what the standard is (even though I personally don't care). The reason why is that it allows me to have some to judge something else against. Let's refer back to my spaghetti sauce. Spaghetti sauce traditionally has da-da-da meat and da-da-da spices. This is the so-called standard. By understanding this standard I can tailor what I want to do around it. Well, screw the traditional spices! Let's add some cumin and curry!

I hoped this helped!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it does helps and makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Having read your post, I do realize that some ENTJs I've encountered do have a knowledge journal. I myself have 1 too. This is at the concious level. It's tiring to stay at this state forever. At the unconcious level, our mind just tends to slip. When someone asks us to recall a particular event, we can't seem to answer. It's as if we weren't there

Some other weaknesses:-
- Have problems trying to remember roads and often get lost when driving
- Typo errors in emails (and not to mention forum posts :laughing:)
- Hard to remember people names
- Often lose things

I would love to know if there are any NJs whom do not have much problems as the above

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Dang, I've never really had a problem with this. But, it doesn't mean I won't. That day will suck.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Hi All Gurus,

This is interesting. Attention to detail is, I suspect, actually Se, i.e. being able to sense things in your external world. It's not Si, as far as I know. It's possible you just have either an undeveloped Se. I've always had good attention to detail so I can't really help you. What I'd just suggest is spending more time observing something. Be patient, grasshopper.

IDK though. I'm ENTJ and my mum is ESTJ (or ISTJ). If she asks me to find something, I normally go look for it, and come back 15 minutes later and say I can't find it. Then she goes out and finds it instantly. STJ v NTJ is Si vs Se, so maybe you're right.

edit: What you're describing does seem to be Si, to me, actually. I, for instance, always misplace my glasses (get out of shower: spend 10 minutes looking for my goddamn glasses), I even misplace things like my phone or my wallet and go into a panic because I think I've lost them. I don't make typos (I'm quite exact) or forget names but I will forget basic details. Like if I look at a TV guide and see that a show is on at 7.30 I'll have to go back and check 30 seconds later because I'll have forgotten. Terrible short term memory... or maybe it's just impatience.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is interesting. Attention to detail is, I suspect, actually Se, i.e. being able to sense things in your external world. It's not Si, as far as I know. It's possible you just have either an undeveloped Se. I've always had good attention to detail so I can't really help you. What I'd just suggest is spending more time observing something. Be patient, grasshopper.

IDK though. I'm ENTJ and my mum is ESTJ (or ISTJ). If she asks me to find something, I normally go look for it, and come back 15 minutes later and say I can't find it. Then she goes out and finds it instantly. STJ v NTJ is Si vs Se, so maybe you're right.

edit: What you're describing does seem to be Si, to me, actually. I, for instance, always misplace my glasses (get out of shower: spend 10 minutes looking for my goddamn glasses), I even misplace things like my phone or my wallet and go into a panic because I think I've lost them. I don't make typos (I'm quite exact) or forget names but I will forget basic details. Like if I look at a TV guide and see that a show is on at 7.3memory... or maybe it's just impatience.
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that's Si alright... Si is the problem. That's probably why we can't be doers, we need to be at a more planning or managerial position.. (which we will take forever to go there if we keep making smalll mistakes)

Interesting you mention about Se, I just still can't get it. What is Se? I've always made an anology as Se to going out for hunting, being hands on or going out in general.
What are the likes and dislikes of Se people?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm retracting my statement,

I've learnt today that
Se = Attention to Detail
Ni = Being forgetful of how things are, but good memory of how things relate to each other (knowledge)
Si = Good memory of how things are, but bad memory of how things should be
Ne = Attention to Possibilities (like sherlock holmes kinda deduction)

I think in my case it's both Se and Si

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Suggestions...

How often do you have situations that get you to develop that focusing on the details? In my work as a Web Developer, it is often the case that the details are quite important which means for me to be good at my job, I have to have this skill. This is why at times I'll score as an ISTJ because I can get caught in all the details at times but my initial instinct is an overview followed by drilling down into the details and being comfortable at both levels of the situation, high and low.

When it comes to remembering names, this is where you have to figure out how your memory works and accommodate accordingly. For myself, I remember a lot of things I write down and even some things I type out so that can help but also there is the question of what significance do I give something. If I feel something is important, that may help it stay in my memories more than others. Being introverted means I have to go through a longer pathway to get to my memories and figure out what was asked which is why in conversation I can be slow at times but in forum posts and e-mails I tend to write things out, read it over and make edits as I go. Having a sense of pride about what I post and do is also important here I think.

I can be rather oblivious to my own problems but I can see what problems others may have, which may be another part of the difference between Si and Se. The external is everything beyond myself and doesn't have a personal filter whereas the internal stuff is filtered and thus isn't quite the same to me. As a Science guy, I like things to be factual and precise rather than being close to right or acceptable.

Lastly, if you know your strengths, figure out how to put them into this. In a way, I am fortunate that my strengths can work on this well. My top 5 strengths are: Learner, Achiever, Responsibility, Intellection and Strategic. If I have something new to develop, this is where my Learner can be useful in knowing how to harness that and get proficient fairly quickly in some cases. Achiever gives me the drive to get to that level and push myself. Responsibility means that if I feel I should do something, I follow it through. Intellection is enjoying thinking and so any logical problem is just fun for me. Lastly, Strategic is that "What if/Select/Strike" pattern that is kind of neat but also comes from some Introverted Intuition I believe.

·
Banned
644 Posts
I know where you are coming from for I had this exact problem in college (and everywhere else for that matter). On homework and tests, I missed points for not following directions completely. But I have improved upon on it with some skills practice. I solve sudoku puzzles, play chess, sight-seeing, and any other task that forces me to concentrate on details on a daily basis to enhance my attention to detail abilities. Focusing my vision and engaging my mind are also helpful.

To avoid losing objects, I make a habit of placing them in the same location. Practicing these tips frequently may develop your Se more fully. I hope what little I have offered is helpful for you because, frankly, I'm still in the working on my attention to detail abilities like you.

Reactions: SlowPoke68

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
In my first IT job it was my duty to cycle out backup tapes before I left work. I constantly forgot this and got busted on it. I finally wrote a script that ran out of cron to send me a page to remind me. Eventually I didn't need the script. I had gotten into the habit. But I kept getting paged for 3 years or so after I left that job.

As far as details go. . . I'm strange. I can notice the differences in circumference of holes in a pepper shaker at a restaurant I had breakfast at last week, but can't recall the names of my former in-laws or where I left my checkbook.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Hi All Gurus,

WHAT.

Of all the N types, ENTJs are the LEAST sloppy/forgetful (the J alone should tell you this) and the best about NOT being careless with details. I heard that they're the most sensor-like of all the Intuitives, and with Te-dom it makes sense.

I have known forgetful/oblivious INTJs, but not THE EXECUTIVES. :laughing:

Are you positive you're an ENTJ? You could be an F and/or a P. I kind of get an ENFP vibe from you, and that'd certainly explain those problems.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
WHAT.

Of all the N types, ENTJs are the LEAST sloppy/forgetful (the J alone should tell you this) and the best about NOT being careless with details. I heard that they're the most sensor-like of all the Intuitives, and with Te-dom it makes sense.

I have known forgetful/oblivious INTJs, but not THE EXECUTIVES. :laughing:

Are you positive you're an ENTJ? You could be an F and/or a P. I kind of get an ENFP vibe from you, and that'd certainly explain those problems.
Yeah, this is accurate. :dry:

I'm fucking oblivious to tons of things and horribly forgetful, but the ENTJs I know are like the complete opposite. :dry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts