Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, fellow INFJs, it seems I have a dilemma. I haven't exactly done as well as I want to this year (first year) in highschool. I've been procrastinating more than I'd like to admit. How do I kick the procrastination habit? Even sitting here typing this thread out at my school's library, I'm procrastinating. I procrastinate all the time, and whenever I say to myself "I'm done! This time I'll stop procrastinating for sure!" I go to do my work and I end up procrastinating. This happens over and over and I really need to get this habit in check.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Procrastination is a vital component part of the INF makeup.

We secretly know we are at our best under pressure and on deadlines, so we falsely create them by procrastinating!

Roll with it.....you know you love it really!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Killbain. If the procrastination is getting in the way of the deadlines though, then maybe it's a motivation issue. Like you may need to re-think your goals, why you want to do well, get things done on time, and how getting things done will help you with your goals.

At least this is my issue when I procrastinate into deadlines.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Initially I think the best way to beat procrastination is simply forcing yourself to do the work. Make a schedule planning what days you want to get your work done and then stick to it. After awhile it becomes a habit and the problem is solved.

Reactions: sweetmay73

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I've generally found it best to sleep on it.
Afterwards, if my mind isn't clear, I like to eat a half gallon of ice cream and watch Comedy Central. They almost always have something decent on. (lol xD)

Like you may need to re-think your goals, why you want to do well, get things done on time, and how getting things done will help you with your goals.

This is great advice. If you don't want it enough, dieting and sleeping right won't be enough. To want it enough you need to know why you want it.

I'm a selfish NF, so I use love as my motivation.

I tell myself "If you want to live in an idyllic loving situation with a comfortable standard of living, you're going to need to do x."

If the carrot doesn't work, then I go for the inspiration angle. I think of character who I worship, imagine "What if they were here" and imagine how embarrassed I'd be if they knew I was slacking due to laziness. That gets me going too.

My third strategy is to appeal to my own pride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's seven thirty pm. I have a letter to write and a quiz to study for, because I have a quiz first period. Yet I am on PerC. It is simply how we function. My friend, the INFP is also a horrible procrastinator, even worse than I am, but I still get my work done on time, and I still manage an average of over 90%. I pull out some an amazing saves under stress, because that's simply how I work.

But schedules is also my lifesaver. I don't do it as well as I should, and when I start university in the fall it will probably kill me, because in high school I'm smart enough to slack off, cram and still do really well. So I'm going to go with what they've said. It's nature for us, and just learn how to time manage. It may seems kind of silly now, but you'll be thankful later.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the same problem. Some things that help:

1. Study with another person.
2. Give yourself an incentive. (Like watching some TV afterwards or something.)
3. Eat while you study. (Just not to much!)
4. Allot yourself time off the bat. ("I'll do math from 6:00 to 7:00, and then study chem from 7:00 to 8:00.") This one helps me a lot.
5. Place yourself in an area where there are no electronics nearby. It's painful at first, but it helps a lot.
6. Clear your head before sitting down to do work. Walk around the house, go to the garden, play the flute -- just something non-electronic, relaxing, and kind of organic, you know?

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Afterwards, if my mind isn't clear, I like to eat a half gallon of ice cream and watch Comedy Central. They almost always have something decent on. (lol xD)
Actually, I prefer Adult Swim, but whatever gets the procrastination monkey off your back.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
do it now

...whatever it is you want to do later, that is

and don't let yourself do what you want to do until that which you don't want to do is done.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Procrastination is a vital component part of the INF makeup.

We secretly know we are at our best under pressure and on deadlines, so we falsely create them by procrastinating!

Roll with it.....you know you love it really!
Haha! This is so true!

Last year I was pursuing to get inside a university. I was supposed to study the whole spring for the exams(5 difficult books) and I sort of did, but not enough. However, during the last week, I finally felt motivated (panicky) enough and read LIKE CRAZY and made soooooo much progress haha!

However, thing is that I didn't have to get in caus I knew I was going to take a year off to work anyway. So I knew I was going to start my studies only a year after and could apply again if I had to. That's why I wasn't motivated enough and I missed the mark by a little and here I am applying again...Should be studying lol. But ultimately I know that during the last two weeks I'll go insane and literally read 24/7 haha! This time I'm pretty confident though caus I'm doing a lot better at this stage than I was last year. But really, 50% of my exam score will probably be thanks to the last 2 weeks....

(Still 4 weeks until exam...)

·
Registered
426 Posts
This is so strange... my INFJ gf can't procrastinate for the life of her... working under any sort of pressure or close deadline causes her to just fall apart o_O

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Learn to properly fear the consequences. You're a type 6, it should be easy for you. :tongue: Someday you'll be done with school, and you (and your grades) will be subject to the scrutiny of recruiters/employers. They won't care you 'didn't feel like it'.

Reactions: Killbain

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am all about procrastination. Being in nursing school though has decreased that, just a tad bit. I just enjoy the feeling of just having the pressure of having to get something done now. I see it as, why do something now when it can be done later type of mentality. But if you want to get rid of that attitude, I find that self-rewarding myself for doing something that isn't normal for me would help. Everytime you complete something way before deadline, treat yourself to something you wouldn't normally treat yourself. I think that is the best way to break a habit that we all know how hard it is to break.

Reactions: Killbain

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
So, fellow INFJs, it seems I have a dilemma. I haven't exactly done as well as I want to this year (first year) in highschool. I've been procrastinating more than I'd like to admit. How do I kick the procrastination habit? Even sitting here typing this thread out at my school's library, I'm procrastinating. I procrastinate all the time, and whenever I say to myself "I'm done! This time I'll stop procrastinating for sure!" I go to do my work and I end up procrastinating. This happens over and over and I really need to get this habit in check.
@wondersueak At PCafe i've fallen into the trap (probably more than once) of making too strong a connection between someone else's experience and an experience of my own. So with that health warning here's what I want to say....

In my late teens / early 20s I was extremely troubled psychologically and living in a family that was very abnormal and dysfunctional (it seemed normal to me of course as I didn't know anything different). At that time, at school & college, I rarely did homework / course work. Somehow I could never find the energy or focus. The intention was always there in me but rarely could I actually settle down and apply myself to do anything. "Tomorrow...." always seemed like it would hold the answer. The reason for this constant procrastination / inability to focus was because of how disturbed/troubled I was - likewise the environment I was living in. (Only years later did I understand all this). And my exam results were way inferior to what everyone had been expecting.

I have a vague recollection from other threads that you've faced some family troubles / conflicts (?) Am just wanting to put forward the possibility that your procrastination may be a symptom of something else. In which case tackling that something else is key and suggestions for tackling the procrastination itself head on are not likely to be of much benefit to you.

I recognise I may be completely off here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
@wondersueak

In my late teens / early 20s I was extremely troubled psychologically and living in a family that was very abnormal and dysfunctional (it seemed normal to me of course as I didn't know anything different). At that time, at school & college, I rarely did homework / course work. Somehow I could never find the energy or focus. The intention was always there in me but rarely could I actually settle down and apply myself to do anything. "Tomorrow...." always seemed like it would hold the answer. The reason for this constant procrastination / inability to focus was because of how disturbed/troubled I was - likewise the environment I was living in. (Only years later did I understand all this). And my exam results were way inferior to what everyone had been expecting.
This resonates quite strongly with me. I grew up in a similar situation and it affected me quite similarly. I did pretty well in school, but I was definitely a procrastinator, and I think much of this was due to the dysfunction within my family. I think that, without that conflict, I would have much more motivated, and probably far less apathetic now. Based on my experience, and those of most of my friends, I feel that dysfunctional is anything but abnormal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts